Skeeterpee on a mead slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tw0fish

Reaction score
I figured this goes here because skeeterpee isn't complicated :)

What a happy problem.. made skeeterpee and everybody loved it. I'm down to about half of the original batch and trying my best to stretch it but it's a huge success.

Well I'm making Ken Schramm's multi-berry melomel ("Mambo in your mouth" is the other name he gives it) which starts out in primary as a show mead - 12lb honey and water to 5 gallons.

Anybody ever use the slurry from a mead to start a batch of 'pee? It's the same yeast as I used before, and it's got nutrient, and it won't be drunk (OG 1.092, EC-118 should handle that happily). Problems?

I guess my greatest fear is a strange sort of honey to the lemon taste.. or a lemon to the honey taste.. ya know.

I think the honey and lemon will go together just fine. My concern would be that mead yeast tend to get stressed more than others.

I would think if the mead was done with good nutrient additions, the yeast shouldn't be that bad off. As for honey and lemon flavors not mixing...haven't you ever drank tea with lemon and honey? fatbloke might think it a bit strange, but I think it's a damn fine way to drink tea!

Let us know how it turns out if you try this...I've been tempted to make Skeeter Pee, but have been scared away because I tend to make dry meads with relatively high OG's compared to the wines that the originator of the recipe tends to use slurry from.

Back