adding flavored extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcsteeler1993

Reaction score
Does anyone know if adding a flavored extract like vanilla or chocolate before bottling will mess up the conditioning of the beer?

What kind of flavors? how much sugars are init?

That will be the factor - I believe if it is just plane extract you are OK, but then again - depends on the extract.

This got me a thinking'....dangerous

I'm not a fan of flavored beers. Or coffee.. But while I'm here at the rehab, I keep passing the coffee bar and they have all these bottles of favors for coffee. They are common to many coffee shops. Sugar based with flavors like cherry, different berries, etc.

Anyone thought of these?

Depends on the sugar content. The sweetened ones will have residual sugars in them which the yeasts might attack and ferment. Best option with these is to just add them to your final beer in the glass and do a little mixology. Beer makes a great cocktail base.

I would look carefully at those syrups they use for coffee flavoring. I would suspect they have preservatives designed to inhibit fermentation. A small amount might not be enough to mess with fermentation or bottle carbonation but you could add enough to make an impact.

I agree with the above about the coffee flavoring (Torani, etc.) because of the sugar content. Sites like Austin Homebrew have extracts specifically designed for flavoring beer at bottling without causing issues (http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_21_74). My roommate and I used a blackberry witbier with great success using this method, but I suspect that a secondary with a fruit puree or concentrate would've been even better.

A lot of extract-based fruit flavors taste pretty bad once bottle conditioned. Almost medicinal (i.e. cherry cough medicine). The real thing is much better. I just finished a Belgian dubbel that I added 3 lbs of cherries, tasted MUCH better than the cherry wheat that I added extract flavoring to.

Back