heater for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I used to be really into aquariums, and used submersible heaters for my big tank ( 125 gallon)...If it were sterilized and sealed( the lid so air cannot get in) , could an aquarium heater be used to keep the temp constant on the primary?

Don't see why not.

Most have issues keeping temps below ambient with reasonable control. You fermeting outside?

nope, but 70-80 degrees constant is probably warmer on average than the house right now.....furnace isnt turned on yet .

you are better to use a water bath and use the heater in the water bath rather than directly in the fermenter. That will minimize the risk of contamination, allow you to more easily adjust the heater after it's first installed and the added mass of the water bath will make for a more stable temperature.

I would recommend running closer to 65 or 68 for most ale yeast. 80 is much too high for most in my opinion.

you are better to use a water bath and use the heater in the water bath rather than directly in the fermenter. That will minimize the risk of contamination, allow you to more easily adjust the heater after it's first installed and the added mass of the water bath will make for a more stable temperature.

I would recommend running closer to 65 or 68 for most ale yeast. 80 is much too high for most in my opinion.

thanks... I am brand new, don't even have all of the equipment yet.

I use a small (I think it's 20 watts) aquarium heater in the winter if I need it. I think it's best to put the fermenter in a water bath, and then heat (or cool, if it's summer) the water. That keeps the temperature even throughout and minimizes any risks.

I ferment most of my ales at 62 degrees (beer temperature, not ambient) but will go as high as 68 for some yeast strains. If your house is under 60 degrees, you may need to warm up the fermenter. But if your house is like many homes, room temperature is often too warm not too cool

Back