Should we pass a law against twist-off tops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aubiecat

Reaction score
This is a semi sarcastic post but since I started brewing I have stopped drinking beers that have twist off tops on them. Seems like such a waste now.
Anybody else have this affliction?

I certainly do, and every time I'm over at a friends house I get excited to steal their empties and disappointed if they're twist off...

I hate twisties, but I think the BMC swilling masses are too dense to figure out how to use a bottle opener. Convenience is not the issue here. I currently have 3 bottle openers attached to me in some way or in easy access: Keychain (looks like an old key), watch band (nice titanium one decoratively attached to the leather), belt buckle (on the back of it). Like I said, it's easy to always have a bottle opener handy, so it's not a convenience issue. It's a stupidity issue.

Um, there are quite a few CRAFT brews that use, or at one time used twist offs, including about half of the bombers in the Lagunitus line, Founder's has a few 12 ouncers including Centennial Ipa, Dieu Du Ciel, Sierra Nevada (including bigfoot), Tyranena, Allagash White, Goose Island, Saint Arnold, Rahr & Sons, Sprecher, Southern Tier, Summit, Blue Point, Unibroue's 12 oz, Shipyard Pugsley's Select series 22oz bottles are twist off, Otter Creek has a couple, the Point Whole Hog Series, Boulevard's 12oz stubby bottles, everything by full sail, Péché Morte, Capital Brewery, Avery has twist off caps, at least on Maharaja, lost coast, Session Lager and all the Alaskan Brewery beers have twist-offs and that's just off the top of my head....

So what's this about "Ignorant Bmc drinkers?" :rolleyes:

Boy, if I stopped buying beers that came in twist offs, I'd be missing out on some hellacious beers.

I'm aware of the fact that many of our beloved craft breweries use twisties as well. SN did for quite a while. Here in Canada, Creemore bombers used to be twisties, and lots of the smaller craft breweries take advantage of the fact that Ontario has a bottle return program that operates at 92% efficiency. I'm a fan of pry-offs whether its on my beer or Coca-Cola. I guess its a mixture of nostalgia, elitism, and the fact that I have had numerous chipped, cracked or improperly sealed twisties, but never a problem with a pry-off (although that's probably more of a brewery problem than an inherent bottle problem).

My point was more a rhetorical, somewhat sarcastic response tot he OP's sarcastic question. As long as the big breweries use twisties, then we would never be able to ban them. My experience with friends who prefer drinking fizzy yellow water, is that they HATE pry-offs because they find the need to use a bottle opener inconvenient. I'm merely pointing out that I don't think it's a matter of inconvenience. I have been known to enjoy as many beers in an evening as any of my BMC (or Labatt's) swilling compatriots and having to pry-off my lids has never slowed me down,

If anything, the latest trend is putting everything into cans. Cans are CHEAPER for the brewery and keep beer FRESHER LONGER than bottles.

So be careful what you wish for, your favorite brewery might quit using bottles all together!

Yeah I suppose I should clarify that I'm currently boycotting twisties until I have sufficient numbers of empties!

I have a friend who has a lot of drinking friends, so now I have plenty of bottles.

That reminds me, the last batch is still in the bed of my pickup!

Now I might prefer buying a beer in twist offs, if I am taking them somewhere, so I don't have to take an opener also.

I love the new trend of craft beers in cans. There are so many situations where glass isn't allowed. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

I love the new trend of craft beers in cans. There are so many situations where glass isn't allowed. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, just as long as there's still plenty of pryoffs for homebrewers starting out. I've got a ton, but in five years, what will happen to "Joe Noob" just starting out.

I have a friend who has a lot of drinking friends, so now I have plenty of bottles.

That reminds me, the last batch is still in the bed of my pickup!

Now I might prefer buying a beer in twist offs, if I am taking them somewhere, so I don't have to take an opener also.

Thanks for reminding me... I think I have a couple of cases of empties in the back of the truck from the co-workers who support my cause!

Just keep in mind, if it's something that concerns you, that most cans use liners containing BPA.

And just to emphasize, many of the breweries listed by Revvy that used to use twist-offs now use Pry-offs for all or most of their products.

I hate twisties, but I think the BMC swilling masses are too dense to figure out how to use a bottle opener. Convenience is not the issue here. I currently have 3 bottle openers attached to me in some way or in easy access: Keychain (looks like an old key), watch band (nice titanium one decoratively attached to the leather), belt buckle (on the back of it). Like I said, it's easy to always have a bottle opener handy, so it's not a convenience issue. It's a stupidity issue.

I guess I'll just go ahead and point out that not everyone wants to carry around bottle openers. Its great that you do and so its not a convenience issue for you, but not everyone is you. So yes, it is a convenience issue for many.

Personally, I also carry a bottle opener around on my key chain. :p

As for the OP... i quickly got to the point where i had plenty of bottles, and therefore don't care at this point what type of vessel my beer comes in. If its a bottle I can add to the collection, great. If not, no biggie.

if you're a smoker, the trusty ol' Bic doubles as an opener.

i laughed when i saw the post about not buying twist off bottles. the last few 6ers of Schell's Dark i've bought were twist offs. GI had twist offs on everything for a good while until last year. and until last year, Summit's caps were twist off. those are just the regulars in my fridge, i often buy great beer in that happens to have a twist off cap.
FWIW, you can cap twist offs with a bench capper.
as far as cans go, i'm a big fan. i'm play a lot of disc golf and throwing a 6 pack of bottles in my bag is not possible, plus many courses are public parks with 'no glass' laws, so the 6 pack of cans is the way to go. with all the craft breweries canning now, the selection of beer i can take with me is great. :rockin:

I wouldn't know what beers are a twist-off...I never try and twist them off. I buy craft beer and just assume it's not so I use my bottle opener without even thinking about it.

you don't need a bottle opener to open beers- anything more than 2" long with an edge an sufficient strength can serve as an appropriate lever. I've used everything from rocks to shovels. I will guarantee that, unless you are in some very unusual situation, there are at least 3 potential bottle openers within 10 feet of your person... hmmm - that might make a good thread... but i agree, cans are the way...

I guess I'll just go ahead and point out that not everyone wants to carry around bottle openers. Its great that you do and so its not a convenience issue for you, but not everyone is you. So yes, it is a convenience issue for many.

Personally, I also carry a bottle opener around on my key chain. :p

This is the most convenient bottle opener ever.... and stylish too!

Picture0003.jpg

I support!

I like having all of my bottles the same size...plus I don't drink enough anymore to collect bottles...I needed an extra case last weekend so I could bottle and it was a pain in the tookus. I held out and didn't go buy an extra case but only b/c the LHBS is quite a drive lol.

Bottle whoring you say? I am one of the worst. If I had my way everyone would bottle in swing tops.

When I think of twist0offs I think about money.

People give me twist-offs thinking I can use them, I accept them and smile politely, then make my way to the store for the deposit. That's 10 cents a piece too.

If you don't want your twist-offs...I will gladly take them. *Cha-Ching!*

Wow I didn't expect to start such a hot thread. I was more or less saying it's funny how my thinking has changed in the last few months because I brew bear and I need a stock of empty bottles.
At some point I'll start back with the twisties but for now it's pry-offs.

The one statement made in this thread that I thought was funny was saying people don't want to have to carry around a bottle openers. The watch band with the bottle opener kind of blew that one away.
Where there is a will there is a way.
Even back when I was a Bud light drinker, I always got the long neck bottles and knew every way there was to pop a top off a bottle. I used to have a BO key ring too.
Just saying.........

I have nothing against twist-offs; I use them for 95% or more of my bottles.

Having said that, I carry a bottle opener with me at all times--to SWMBO's chagrin!

bottle opener.jpg

Totally agree... go for the box.

Looks like since 2010 we can do it with out beer as well.

I just googled "beer in a box" and this popped up, how come noone's posted anything about this yet?!?

kegless-mainjpg-e1271850216821.jpg

kegless.jpg

The upside of a party at your place is that you don’t have to worry about getting a ride home after a few beers. The downside is having to clean up the next morning and finding a way to dispose of all those empty beer bottles. But had you supplied the party with (or encouraged others to bring) a Kegless, this wouldn’t be a problem. Kegless is a 4L (roughly 8.5 pints) bag-in-a-box packaging concept that provides a more sustainable alternative to conventional single-serve bottle or can. It allows beer (and other carbonated beverages) to be stored and dispensed from a single container while maintaining the carbonation and freshness of the product.

Created by University of Technology Sydney, NSW, Australia, student Thomas Hussey, the collapsible design, which eliminates the need for the complex pressurized CO2 systems, has been shortlisted in the Australian Design Awards - James Dyson Awards 2010.

While we've seen the idea applied to single-serve packagessingle-serves, Hussey's design addresses large volume packages - it's simpler than existing solutions, reduces cost dramatically and has a less environmental impact throughout its life cycle.

He adds that individual containers (especially glass bottles) adds to the cost of package beer – around 50 percent - because of the large quantities of energy and raw materials consumed in their manufacture and distribution.

But beer is a carbonated beverage and hence must be stored in a pressurized container with no oxygen or UV light. In order to maintain the quality of their contents, current bulk containers use pressurized carbon dioxide systems which add complexity and cost.

Kegless uses a new way to store and dispense beer. The collapsible nature of the container allows the volume of the package to be reduced in size as the product is dispensed, maintaining the CO2 pressure while also preventing the ingress of oxygen.

Hussey says his simple design and minimal use of materials allow the package to be manufactured at up to 40 percent lower cost than conventional single serve beer packages with dramatically reduced environmental impacts. In addition, the reduced weight and size (per volume) of the package allows up to 70 percent more beer to be transported per pallet, significantly improving transport efficiencies. The package is also designed to be easily disassembled for disposal and recycling.

A large molded handle in the top of the package make it easy to handle and store. The collapsible nature of the design also uses less storage space as the product is dispensed and provides consumers with a new and more enjoyable experience.

There is potential for the package to be implemented in a range of production scales. For small production numbers the package could be filled using existing keg-filling equipment (fitted with an adapter), this would allow a low cost packaging solution for small breweries who are currently unable to sell packaged beer (due to the high costs of bottling equipment). This method could also be used for market testing and validation before significant investment is made in the automation of large scale production by larger brewers.

We think airlines, in their constant search to reduce on-board weight, might also think the Kegless is a good way to serve beer and other carbonated beverages.

PS: Did someone mention cheaper beer?

Kegless is one of the stand-out entries in more than 300 designs entered in the Australian Design Awards - James Dyson Awards.

Is this real????

I was looking for this when I stumbled upon the other.

12208_140709121403.jpg

There’s nothing like kicking back with a cold bottle of beer on, well, any day really. But if Beverage Pouch Group LLC has its way, you may soon be sipping your favorite artisanal ale from a plastic pouch. The BeerPaQ CarboPouch line of beverage packs looks like something astronauts might use to pack their brewskies on the Interational Space Station, but the manufacturer says they are an ideal container for small craft breweries and micro brewers.

CarboPouches look similar to the juice or milk pouches currently on the market. Unlike juice or milk pouches, the CarboPounch container is strong enough, and flexible enough, to hold beer or other carbonated beverages.

Most big brewers sell their beer in glass bottles or aluminum cans. But for small craft breweries and micro brewers, bottles and cans have a few drawbacks including price and handling issues.

Bottles weigh a lot and can break easily, which makes them harder to ship. They also let in light, which damages the beer over time. The filling process for bottles leaves an airspace between the bottle cap and the beer. This air can eventually interact with the beer and affect the flavor. Most beer drinkers prefer bottles, but aluminum cans have some advantages over glass. Cans block light and are not as fragile, however the flavor-barrier lining inside beer cans can degrade over time and affect the quality of the beer. To top it off, few small brewers can afford a canning operation.

The Beverage Pouch Group says the advantages of the BeerPaQ CarboPouch include lighter weight and smaller storage size (when empty). The CarboPouch also blocks light and prevents any air from contacting the beer. The filling process does not leave any headspace so only the natural CO2 from the beer is in the pouch, which has been designed with some “give” to accommodate carbonation. CarboPouches also feature an “orangoleptic film” liner to protect the flavor of the beer.

The CarboPouch does not require a bottling line or canning line apparatus. Filling can be done manually or using automated equipment to accommodate the scale of the brewing operation. Unlike bottles and cans however, storage and shelf-life does require refrigeration.

CarboPouches pack small when they are empty for easier storage at the brewing plant, and for easier clean up on a picnic or at a sporting event. CarboPouches won’t shatter like glass, which is another advantage at sporting events or other public occasions.

BeerPaQ CarboPouches are available in three capacities: the Single25 holds 8oz (.24l), the Single45 holds 16oz (.47l), and the StandUp Multi64 holds 64oz (1.8l ).

For pricing and other information visit Beverage Pouch Group LLC.

This is a semi sarcastic post but since I started brewing I have stopped drinking beers that have twist off tops on them. Seems like such a waste now.
Anybody else have this affliction?

No way! I get a dime a bottle (I live in Michigan), and it gives me some extra cash to get the good beer that I can drink, strip, then use for bottling!

I have nothing against twist-offs; I use them for 95% or more of my bottles.

Having said that, I carry a bottle opener with me at all times--to SWMBO's chagrin!

I have one of these too. The fact that it's titanium means it won't get scratched by the cap, and SWMBO doesn't have to worry.

The one statement made in this thread that I thought was funny was saying people don't want to have to carry around a bottle openers. The watch band with the bottle opener kind of blew that one away.

hah laughable.. so everyone is going to wear the same watch?

What about those of us that wear a, you know, professional looking one:p

and the fact that I have had numerous chipped, cracked or improperly sealed twisties, but never a problem with a pry-off (although that's probably more of a brewery problem than an inherent bottle problem).
I'm the opposite, i've never had a problem with a twisty, but have had the neck break on pry offs.

anyway, I use my college ring. Never have to worry about it. But I'm definitely not 'above' drinking a twist off (I come across many craft brews that are twist off, you can plainly see once you open the first one), and I think the idea of 'banning' them is kind of silly. Ban them for what? You can use an opener on a twisty, so it shouldn't affect you anyway.
If you're really in a pinch.. take a look around, a piece of paper is all you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back