Weight of 3/4 cup of DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonpile

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone, offhand, has a way of converting volume of DME to weight. We primed a batch with 3/4 cup of DME going for a low carbed English Mild and it's kind of undercarbed, so we don't want to do that again. At the same time, we're now using ProMash to calculate priming DME by weight.

So, short of just weighing some DME, does someone have a conversion factor?

Thanks!

Moon

"Average" carbonation using DME would call for 1 1/4 cups, so I would expect your beer would only have about 60% of the carbonation you'd usually have. Not sure exactly how many volumes of CO2 the 1 1/4 cups is equal to, but if you don't want to get too technical I would start with the base assumption that 1 1/4 = average, if I want a bit less, I'd drop to around 1 cup.

the_bird said:
"Average" carbonation using DME would call for 1 1/4 cups, so I would expect your beer would only have about 60% of the carbonation you'd usually have. Not sure exactly how many volumes of CO2 the 1 1/4 cups is equal to, but if you don't want to get too technical I would start with the base assumption that 1 1/4 = average, if I want a bit less, I'd drop to around 1 cup.

Actually, I DO want to get too technical! ;) I'm now going by weight and trying to calculate CO2 volumes. At this point I was just guessing though, and it kind of failed on me.

Yeah, I was trying to scale back the carb a bit and clearly went too far.

AJF: by your figure I'm at under 1.7 volumes of CO2. That sounds about right given what I'm seeing in the beer. Thanks!

Next time I'll do this recipe at more like 2.0 volumes.

Thanks!

Moon

Back