Homebrew Competition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcmccoy

Reaction score
So I am looking to enter my 1st Homebrew Competition at the Big Muddy Monster Brew Fest. In southern IL. on the information page here http://www.friendsofmurphysboro.com/?page_id=425

It says "Submit two 10-14 ounce bottles with no distinguishing marks on the bottle or cap. Blacked out caps are OK."

On 90% of my beers I have colored caps.... most are yellow. How does this work? how do I black out my caps?

Thanks!

EDIT: so here is my dilemma now that I look at it the best beer I made is in a Sam Addams bottle and a michelob bottle..... thats my last two bottles both have markings on the bottles.

I'm pretty sure they mean that they don't want logos on your bottles or caps. It keeps the judges from being biased because they can't say, "oh I recognize this cap. It's Jcmccoy's." I would think that colored caps are fine, as long as they are solid color. However, bottling in a Sam Adams bottle might be a problem if you're the only brewer at the competition that has bottled in those.

I think the best way to go about it is just contact the people hosting the competition and ask. That's what they're there for, and you'll know for sure if you've met the requirements.

AWOG doesn't care about Sam Adams bottles but some competitions do, so I'd check with them before entering.

In the future, no matter what your main bottles are, ALWAYS bottle at least a sixer in plain unmarked brown bottles. Put a letter code on the plain caps so you know what they are but get a wide tipped sharpie and/or a pack of round black avery labels.

Then you will always have six beers to enter into a contest you come across.

When I am doing my application and printing out the contest label, I then take one of my black avery labels and cover the sharpie code on the cap, then I take the wide sharpie and go around the edges of the label.

I have found that sometimes the sharpie that you used to identifiy the beer (unless you used black to begin with) bleeds through the black of the cover sharpy. So the label covers that up nicely.

Back