American Wheat Beer Widmer Hefeweizen American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP320
Yeast Starter
1500ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 66 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Crash cool and rack to keg or bottling bucket
Tasting Notes
Pretty darn close, I didn\'t have all the hops they use for their ALCHEMY blend.
I think I may do some tweaking the next time I make this and try to get the 3 hops that are used in their alchemy blend that is used for bitttering but I am happy with the results.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 4.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.30 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.28 %
4.50 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 49.25 %
3.60 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 39.40 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.47 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.60 %
0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
0.25 oz Millenium [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
0.05 oz Horizon [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
1 Pkgs American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP32Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.14 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 11.42 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 6.40 qt of water at 200.7 F 168.0 F

Mine on the left
P1050398-800.jpg

P1050401-800.jpg

P1050399-800.jpg

Will be giving this a try VERY soon, looks great! Did you cool it before transferring out of the primary?

Will be giving this a try VERY soon, looks great! Did you cool it before transferring out of the primary?

Thanks, I did cool for a short while, overnight I think but want to keep a little bit of the floaties in there.

I heard a rumor that they used lactic acid, my guess is in the mash to lower the ph so just make sure your ph is on the low end, 5.1 - 5.2. Also if you could get the hops they use in their ALCHEMY (Warrior and Millennium and lately a little horizon) blend it may be worth it but if not a good clean bittering hop will work.

I can get the warrior and horizon in pellets... wonder if either would make a good sub for the magnum?? any thoughts?

EDIT: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/ carries all three of the varieties you mentioned.... what exactly is this ALCHEMY blend? :)

I can get the warrior and horizon in pellets... wonder if either would make a good sub for the magnum?? any thoughts?

EDIT: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/ carries all three of the varieties you mentioned.... what exactly is this ALCHEMY blend? :)

From the sounds of it, the horizon thing is only recent and it doesn't sound like there is much of it as far as percentage. I think the main bittering is from Warrior and Millennium so I would use those 2 or like I said, you should be fine with a clean bittering hop. There is a hop taste at 30 IBUs but it is not dominate by any means.

The blend is Widmers propriotery percentages of each of these hops and used as the bittering in a few of their beers. No one knows the exact percentages but I would start out with something like 45% warrior, 45% Millenium and 10% horizon.

Her is what I have so far, lemme know if you have any suggestions before I order :)

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 5.75 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated IBU: 30.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
4.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 49.18 %
3.60 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 39.34 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.46 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.73 %
0.15 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
0.15 oz Millenium [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.45 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (30 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
0.45 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (7 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.45 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (7 min) Hops 3.0 IBU

Her is what I have so far, lemme know if you have any suggestions before I order :)

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 5.75 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated IBU: 30.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
4.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 49.18 %
3.60 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 39.34 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.46 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.73 %
0.15 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
0.15 oz Millenium [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.45 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (30 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
0.45 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (7 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.45 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (7 min) Hops 3.0 IBU

That looks good, it looks like you are using beersmith, are you getting 75% effeciency? If so, change your brewhouse efficiency to 82 and then click "Scale" and change it to 75%. You have the same amounts as I had but mine was based on 82% so your OG is a little low.

I just got into all grain brewing about 5 batches ago, before that it was partial mash so I havnt done the calcs to get my efficiencies right yet, will convert to 82 as a start point tho.

I just got into all grain brewing about 5 batches ago, before that it was partial mash so I havnt done the calcs to get my efficiencies right yet, will convert to 82 as a start point tho.

What has your efficiency been on your first 5? I would average them out, if you have any out liners that something went wrong don't include them in the average but you just want to use the same percentages and come out to 1.049 for your OG. Also, if you can check your ph of the mash, make sure it is about 5.2 or even a tad lower, not that this is a sour beer but I think they do mash at a low ph. If you use starsan, you can use a few drops of that to lower your ph.

YIKES! Just calculated my efficiencies on my last two batches... The stout came in at 78.1% and the Rye IPA at 71.8%

The stout was mashed for 90 min, the IPA for 60, guess at a minimum I am going to have to always mash for 90 min... Dont know what else I am doing wrong, use a cooler for mashing with a false bottom, check temps every 20 min and stir...Continuous sparge. hmmm wonder if I need to mess with my water, using just bottled water for now, no modifications.

I do use starsan and even use it in my mash tun, always have a bit left in there wonder what the PH is, never messed with it yet... I must have to high of a ph.

YIKES! Just calculated my efficiencies on my last two batches... The stout came in at 78.1% and the Rye IPA at 71.8%

The stout was mashed for 90 min, the IPA for 60, guess at a minimum I am going to have to always mash for 90 min... Dont know what else I am doing wrong, use a cooler for mashing with a false bottom, check temps every 20 min and stir...Continuous sparge. hmmm wonder if I need to mess with my water, using just bottled water for now, no modifications.

I do use starsan and even use it in my mash tun, always have a bit left in there wonder what the PH is, never messed with it yet... I must have to high of a ph.

I don't think that a longer mash means a better conversion unless your below 151F, 90 is pretty long if you are in the middle to upper range. As you move along with more and more batches you will get to know your system and get consistent results. The number doesn't matter but consistency does so if you are 75% +/- 1 every time then you know what to base your recipes off of. I am between 82 and 86 so I set my recipes for 83 and go from there.

OK well I am definitely gonna grab some lactic acid or similar and some ph test strips for this, and all my next batches :) do you have to wait a certain amount of time before testing the mash to let it 'settle' to the ph that the grains themselves give?

I have been doing some reading on wheat beers in general and think I am gonna do a 30 min protein rest, and a 60 min mash on this recipe, along with lowering the ph to about 5.2 should give me much better results. Thanks again for all your help :)

OK well I am definitely gonna grab some lactic acid or similar and some ph test strips for this, and all my next batches :) do you have to wait a certain amount of time before testing the mash to let it 'settle' to the ph that the grains themselves give?

I have been doing some reading on wheat beers in general and think I am gonna do a 30 min protein rest, and a 60 min mash on this recipe, along with lowering the ph to about 5.2 should give me much better results. Thanks again for all your help :)

dough in and mix really well, like normal right :D Then give it a few minutes for the ph to drop, test with your strips but be warned that those strips are calibrated for like 60-70 degrees not 152 so your mash ph should be more like 4.9 - 5. So if you still need to drop it, use the lactic acid but very very very sparingly, a little goes a long ways.

Good luck, it should turn out great!

Ya I was reading up and doing some calcs and even a teaspoon looks like it can move the PH a LOT :)

Brewing it today :) will let ya know how it turns out and post the exact recipe I used

Well I gotta say I came close as well, it is slightly bitter since I didnt hit my efficiencies and forgot to adjust the hopping rates :) but still very good, and close to the taste of the real thing fresh from the tap in Portland :)

Heres the recipe I ended up brewing:

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.94 gal
Estimated Color: 5.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
0.34 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.29 %
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.31 %
4.03 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.94 %
0.70 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.76 %
0.28 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.71 %
0.05 oz Horizon [10.90 %] (60 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.15 oz Warrior [15.40 %] (60 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.15 oz Magnum [13.60 %] (60 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.45 oz Cascade [7.10 %] (30 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.45 oz Cascade [7.10 %] (7 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.45 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (7 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
1.20 tsp Lactic Acid (Mash 90.0 min) Misc

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.35 lb
Double Infusion, Medium Body
30 min Protein Rest Add 9.32 qt of water at 133.9 F 122.0 F
60 min Saccrification Add 8.28 qt of water at 197.0 F 153.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.25 qt of water at 209.9 F 168.0 F

Well I gotta say I came close as well, it is slightly bitter since I didnt hit my efficiencies and forgot to adjust the hopping rates :) but still very good, and close to the taste of the real thing fresh from the tap in Portland :)

Heres the recipe I ended up brewing:

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.94 gal
Estimated Color: 5.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
0.34 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.29 %
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.31 %
4.03 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.94 %
0.70 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.76 %
0.28 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.71 %
0.05 oz Horizon [10.90 %] (60 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.15 oz Warrior [15.40 %] (60 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.15 oz Magnum [13.60 %] (60 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.45 oz Cascade [7.10 %] (30 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.45 oz Cascade [7.10 %] (7 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.45 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (7 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
1.20 tsp Lactic Acid (Mash 90.0 min) Misc

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.35 lb
Double Infusion, Medium Body
30 min Protein Rest Add 9.32 qt of water at 133.9 F 122.0 F
60 min Saccrification Add 8.28 qt of water at 197.0 F 153.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.25 qt of water at 209.9 F 168.0 F

Glad to hear it turned out good, enjoy!

Haha, I did, its been gone for about 2 weeks now :( Will have to do it again, this time working to hit better efficiencies :)

Thanks again for all your help

I'm going to brew this over the weekend but may use Chinook and/or Amarillo as I have them on hand. These should be suitable replacements for the Alchemy Blend shouldn't they?

I'm going to brew this over the weekend but may use Chinook and/or Amarillo as I have them on hand. These should be suitable replacements for the Alchemy Blend shouldn't they?

Any clean bittering hop will do the job as far as I think. It may not be perfect but will work. I used Magnum on my first brew of this and turned out ok, but there is something nice about the blend too.

Warrior
Millenium
Horizon

I love Widmer and have tried this recipe several times now. Everytime, however I get a stuck sparge. I am doing basically the recipe per the original post with the rice hulls. I really want this one to turn out but every batch has been a bit off probably do to the lautering problems. Think a rest might help? Any suggestions would be great.

I love Widmer and have tried this recipe several times now. Everytime, however I get a stuck sparge. I am doing basically the recipe per the original post with the rice hulls. I really want this one to turn out but every batch has been a bit off probably do to the lautering problems. Think a rest might help? Any suggestions would be great.

are you getting stuck sparges with other beers? how much rice hulls are you using?

My first thought would be to increase your rice hulls but the other would be to step back and take a look at your latuering process. Is it getting stuck right away or after a few qts/gals etc.

I always get a stuck sparge with wheat beers I have tried and not one yet with any other beer.

I do 10gal batches and the last attempt I upped rice hulls to a full pound. The sparge has always been stuck immediately when I start lautering. I have never gotten anywhere near a quart out.

I have a 10-gal round cooler with false bottom. I have 1 batch under my belt now with my HERMS and am wondering if circulation might help or make things worse.

I am truly lost for an explanation.

I always get a stuck sparge with wheat beers I have tried and not one yet with any other beer.

I do 10gal batches and the last attempt I upped rice hulls to a full pound. The sparge has always been stuck immediately when I start lautering. I have never gotten anywhere near a quart out.

I have a 10-gal round cooler with false bottom. I have 1 batch under my belt now with my HERMS and am wondering if circulation might help or make things worse.

I am truly lost for an explanation.

weird thing is that I have only done this recipe when I had the same 10G round cooler and false bottom and didn't have the troubles.

I have gotten stuck sparges but was always able to unstick them by blowing air back into the cooling through the ball valve. I have done it with my breath, but later moved to a air compressor which I found easier, just send some air back up to clear and and get it to run and evenly distribute the husks that are below the false bottom. Once, you get it running clear, you are golden (pun intended :))

Funny you should mention it...I have done the same thing with my compressor. It even blew some mash out the top and all over the wall but was still stuck.

What kind of mill gap are you using? I was thinking I may be a little fine for wheat at .036 now. Do you do any conditioning prior to crush? Also, I just blend in the rice hulls and then stir like a normal mash. Is there any special technique I may be missing?

Funny you should mention it...I have done the same thing with my compressor. It even blew some mash out the top and all over the wall but was still stuck.

What kind of mill gap are you using? I was thinking I may be a little fine for wheat at .036 now. Do you do any conditioning prior to crush? Also, I just blend in the rice hulls and then stir like a normal mash. Is there any special technique I may be missing?

it has been a while, I have no troubles with stuck sparges on my new mash/tun but I believe I put in the rice hulls first and let them settle a bit before adding the grains.

I have not conditioned my malt yet, my barley crusher is set to the standard setting, which I believe is .037.

Hopefully someone else pipes in with experience in sparge troubles with wheat because I guess I just haven't had enough experience.

it has been a while, I have no troubles with stuck sparges on my new mash/tun but I believe I put in the rice hulls first and let them settle a bit before adding the grains.

I have not conditioned my malt yet, my barley crusher is set to the standard setting, which I believe is .037.

Hopefully someone else pipes in with experience in sparge troubles with wheat because I guess I just haven't had enough experience.

The rice hulls first seems to make sense. I think I will at least try that next time. I appreciate your help and anyone else who might have any suggestion.

Thinking about making this using some Nottingham as I have a packet in my supply. Any thoughts on how it might turn out?

Humann Brewing,

I tried your recipe today. Looking forward to tasting how it turns out. I the amount of hops a bit to make sure they came in overall at 30%. Thanks for posting this recipe. If it comes close to Widmer Hef, I think I might get an open checkbook to buy more brewing equipment. The wife loves the beer.

Humann Brewing,

I tried your recipe today. Looking forward to tasting how it turns out. I the amount of hops a bit to make sure they came in overall at 30%. Thanks for posting this recipe. If it comes close to Widmer Hef, I think I might get an open checkbook to buy more brewing equipment. The wife loves the beer.

good to hear, what part of Washington are you from? I spent the first 27 years of my life up there and miss it dearly.

Humann,

Any chance I could bother you for a Partial version of your recipe please? Love Widmer and havent taken the leap to AG quite yet. Appreciate your help :mug:

Humann,

Any chance I could bother you for a Partial version of your recipe please? Love Widmer and havent taken the leap to AG quite yet. Appreciate your help :mug:

This is what Beersmith gave me when converting it to PM. Still looks like your mashing close to 8lbs of grain. Can you mash that much? I also changed the efficiency to 74% which may be closer to what you get.

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
0.33 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.45 %
0.81 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 8.41 %
0.67 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 6.98 %
4.26 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 44.47 %
3.31 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 34.48 %
0.14 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 1.48 %
0.07 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 0.74 %
0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
0.25 oz Millenium [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
0.05 oz Horizon [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.5 IBU

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 8.11 lb
Single Infusion, Medium Body
60 min Mash In Add 10.14 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 5.68 qt of water at 200.7 F 168.0 F

Thanks Humann...

That is a big grain bill for me. I only have a 21 Qt pot....So I will need to convert some grains to LME...Any ideas? Wish I had beersmith.

Back