Fantome clone question - adding fruit juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cugel

Reaction score
hey everyone.

Just finishing up the Fantome clone recipe from Beer Captured. After primary fermentation they call for 1/2 gallon raspberry/strawberry juice mix to be added into the secondary with 5 drops of pectic enzyme then rack the beer from the primary on top of this mixture. (The pectic enzyme helps to clear the beer.)

Do I need to worry about the store-bought juices? I'm fairly sure they're pasteurized.

I have powered pectic enzyme - how much should I add - they state 5 drops. Would 1/4 tsp work?

Thanks!!!!

PS The beer was tasted last night in primary and tastes like a great tripel in the making! Very nice indeed.

It's a very tasty recipe; I've made it several times. I added the store juice with no issues. Try to get the strawberry taste to come through. I used 3 containers that when you add water would make 2 qts. 2 of a strawberry blend (don't recall with what) and the other a raspberry blend. I found that when you use store juice, try to get some with the fruit you want listed first, i.e. want raspberry, get a raspberry/whatever juice.

Thanks for the reassurance. My modified version (modded for late DME addition and hop utilization) of the recipe is below, I'll post the original tomorrow.

Type: Extract
Date: 5/15/2008
Batch Size: 5.13 gal
Brewer: Cugel
Boil Size: 3.50 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (4 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1/4 gallon - Raspberry (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 16.16 %
1/4 gallon - Strawberry (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 16.16 %
6 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 48.47 % <- late addition
1 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 8.08 %
1 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 8.08 %
6 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3.07 %
1.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [2.25 %] (60 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.35 %] (60 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [2.90 %] (22 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
0.25 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (22 min) Hops 1.5 IBU

Mash @ 150oF for 90 minutes:

10.25 lbs Belgian 2-row pilsner
1 lb Belgian wheat malt
6 oz Belgian Aromatic malt

0.5 oz German Hallertau Hersbrucker @4.2% AA (2.1 HBU) @ 60 mins

0.25 oz East Kent Goldings @ 15 mins
0.5 oz Curacao Bitter Orange @ 15 mins
0.5 tsp crushed Coriander seeds @ 15 mins
0.25 tsp crushsd Grains of Paradise seeds @ 15 mins
1 tsp Irish moss @ 15 mins

1/4 tsp crushsd Coriander seeds @ 5 mins

Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit or Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes

Heat 1 quart each of strawberry and raspberry juice to 160oF for 10 mins. Cool juice to 80oF and pour into secondary.

Add 5 drops of pectic enzyme to juice.

Rack ontop of juice.

Bottle w/ 1.25 cups M&F wheat DME.

6lbs M&F extra light DME
1 lb M&F Wheat DME

Heat 1 quart each of strawberry and raspberry juice to 160oF for 10 mins. Cool juice to 80oF and pour into secondary.

Rack ontop of juice.

Mash @ 150oF for 90 minutes:

10.25 lbs Belgian 2-row pilsner
1 lb Belgian wheat malt

Rack ontop of juice.

Any idea what the fermentation temps/ramp schedule is for this beer? If anyone has actually brewed the recipe, it would be great to get your feedback.

Fantome Saison is one of those mysterious recipes you hear plenty of urban legends about, but little hard facts. For example, it seems every recipe out there calls for fruit juice, despite the fact that Dany Prignon claims that he does not add fruit (juice or otherwise) into the beer. That is a hard reality to swallow, however, because there's more than a hint of strawberry aroma and flavor in that beer. The distinct tartness is also an interesting phenomenon. I've heard rumor of Dany blending with Lambic at bottling, but I have no idea how true that is (I've never read a statement put out from Fantome or Prignon discussing it, anyway).

While I would love to clone a Fantome beer I know finding a real recipe is not an easy task. A couple things to think about though:

1. From my own experiences with Fantome beers, no two have been exactly alike including the same beer from the same batch I always find them to differ. That makes it a little easier to clone as you dont have a straight forward example that you are going for.

2. I have found that the yeast in Fantome bottles is incredibly easy to culture up and is very very active. As long as the yeast in the bottle is the same as the yeast used in fermentation then you have a good shot at getting some flavors out of it that are associated with the weird bugs that make their way into Fantome beers.

Back