Today is Ash Wednesday, the traditional start of the Doppelbock season

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dentist office (where I had an appt this morning) is directly across the street from a Whole Foods (tm)(r) grocery store so I went in for their breakfast bar and a coffee. Afterwards I scoped out the beer section and see they have the celebrated Celebrator in stock...think I'm going to grab a 4-pack on the way home tonight to christen the season.

BeeGee said:
My dentist office (where I had an appt this morning) is directly across the street from a Whole Foods (tm)(r) grocery store so I went in for their breakfast bar and a coffee. Afterwards I scoped out the beer section and see they have the celebrated Celebrator in stock...think I'm going to grab a 4-pack on the way home tonight to christen the season.

I almost thought you are going to say that you had one for breakfast.

But can you imagine living off this stuff for little more than a month. Even if it was not as strong as todays versions, it's pretty heavy and I wonder how the beers came out that they brewed during lent. If they were allowed to work during this time.

I have some of the Carolina Brewing Company Doppelbocks at home. But I think that they are to bitter for the style.

Kai

King Kai said:
I almost thought you are going to say that you had one for breakfast.

But can you imagine living off this stuff for little more than a month. Even if it was not as strong as todays versions, it's pretty heavy and I wonder how the beers came out that they brewed during lent. If they were allowed to work during this time.

I have some of the Carolina Brewing Company Doppelbocks at home. But I think that they are to bitter for the style.

Kai
Believe me, the thought crossed my mind more than once, but I can never remember the silly blue laws around here and couldn't remember if you can't buy beer in the morning, or if that's only on Sundays. I didn't want to look like a total idiot at the checkout.

I have a number of friends that give up alcohol during Lent...I'm not sure why, but I think I like the German system better the more I hear about it.

CBC's Doppelbock, I'm sure, is an American interpretation of the style and hence uses more hops. At least that's my theory. The barleywine was certainly in the American style.

well ity may not have been as strong in terms of alcohol beacsue of teh lack of knowledge about yeast and antiquated brewing techniques, but the original gravity was probably similar, so it must've been a hearty brew and would have to be get you through 40 days. i'm sure they must've had some serious mystical encounters after the first couple days.

Cheyco said:
I just read that link. Could you imagine fasting AND living on doppelbock for nutrition?!? It's a wonder there aren't more holy visions recorded!
I imagine it's kind of hard to write (or even talk) when all you've had to eat is doppelbock for 40 days...at least that's the way it works with ripple, IIRC. :drunk:

El Pistolero said:
I imagine it's kind of hard to write (or even talk) when all you've had to eat is doppelbock for 40 days...at least that's the way it works with ripple, IIRC. :drunk:

I suppose, unless you were dictating, there wouldn't be too many memories of it, especially if the stained-glass guys were also eating at the same cafeteria. I wonder if that's where all the meal-replacement drink stuff started?
"Hey you can't drink at work!"
"Oh, sorry I'm on a diet and it's my religion. It's lent, you know."
"Very good then, can I convert?"
:tank:

A lady at my work is walking around with a BIG dark smudge on her forehead all day. When I got here and saw her I thought she had accidentally gotten ink on herself so I told her about it. She said no, it's Ash Wednesday. Okay - I'm an idiot - sorry about that. :eek:

I know lots of Catholics (my wife is Catholic too) but I've never seen someone intentionally keep the ash on the forehead all day long. To each her own I suppose. Anybody else partake in the blackened forehead?

As for the above mentioned German nothing-but-beer-for-40-days religion: sign me up dudes.

AHU

My wife is Catholic but I don't recall her ever having the ash cross on her head, but I may have just missed it. She does chase me around the narthex trying to put a 'water cross' on my forehead when I accompany her to mass.

AllHoppedUp said:
A lady at my work is walking around with a BIG dark smudge on her forehead all day. When I got here and saw her I thought she had accidentally gotten ink on herself so I told her about it. She said no, it's Ash Wednesday. Okay - I'm an idiot - sorry about that. :eek: AHU

Well, you should get her a Doppelbock and say "You can start drinking now". But on a second thought, that wouldn't go over well in America. But even in Germany this is not widely known. It took me untill I started reading about beer what the backgound of the Doppelbock is.

Kai

AllHoppedUp said:
I know lots of Catholics (my wife is Catholic too) but I've never seen someone intentionally keep the ash on the forehead all day long. To each her own I suppose. Anybody else partake in the blackened forehead?
Growing up the nuns told us if we washed it off before the end of the day we'd go to hell. :( Sure enough, now I live in Houston. :mad:

El Pistolero said:
Growing up the nuns told us if we washed it off before the end of the day we'd go to hell. :( Sure enough, now I live in Houston. :mad:
:p

Incidentally, I came home to a smudged wife, so I guess that answers that. I opted to bottle hefe instead of attend mass, so may get transferred to Houston...

El Pistolero said:
I visited my sister in Houston in July 2 years ago and I swear it was hot enough for hell!:drunk:

El Pistolero said:

El Pistolero, that is hilarious, and very appropriate. My condolences. ;)

homebrewer_99 said:
Man, there are so many things on this thread that I can comment on, but I'll leave it at...the monks daily ration of beer during Lent is 5 liters!:drunk:

Holy crap! That's about 10.5 pints of 6-10% alcohol per day. I may have to attempt an honorary lent one of these weekends. :cross:

Hehe, I never knew you used to be "King Kai"...

Of course, "Cobra Kai" would have been even better :D

Got some Celebrator im the cellar, good night for one of those. Gotta get my bock/dopplebock bottled this weekend, too.

(as I sit here with a black forehead)
Yeah, I got the "you have crap on your forehead" all morning. Even though I don't have a dopplebock on stock, I do plan to do the majority of my fasting with beer. All those who think alcohol is immoral haven't read their bibles. I mean even Jesus turned water into wine when they ran out of booze... J man is always invited to my parties :cross:

El Pistolero said:
Growing up the nuns told us if we washed it off before the end of the day we'd go to hell.

Told us the same thing. 12 years of getting your knuckles rapped by nuns with rulers was hell enough, thank you.

But I knew I liked lent for a reason. Unfortunately, my 2 kegs of Bock won't be done lagering till around Easter.:( But luckily I have a few Uff-das from New Glarus lying around.:ban:

I was considering giving up 'ardent spirits' for Lent and only drinking beer-but then that's almost all I drink anyways, so I wouldn't be 'giving up' much at all.

Bockfest (http://www.bockfest.com/) will be held here in a few weeks. It's a great local festival and celebration of Bock and early Spring. It's a great parade and all the local breweries bring out their variety of Bocks. Too bad I'll be out of town-it'll be the 1st time I've missed it in years.

hey this one chick at work had the ash on her head. I chuckled cause it was more of an inverted crucifix than it was a cross. So she wiped it a little to fix. true story.

Yeah man liquid bread ftw! :D

My first doppelbock is just now ready to go to secondary. It bubbled at a nice pace for almost three weeks and just this past weekend finally slowed down a lot. It will probably be another 6 weeks before it will be ready to try and I'm afraid it might need to age a bunch more after that. I may just end up having a little bit this spring and then save the rest until fall.
My Marzen should be ready in a couple of weeks though:ban:

I've got some Troegenator in the garage, maybe I'll have one of those tonight.

Well, I had to go buy me some Salvator after this thread (thanks Kaiser :D) hehe. Anyways, I must say out of the Doppelbocks I have had, this is still my favorite because of the bitterness level.

raceskier said:
I'm giving up celibacy for Lent.;)

Dopplebock, hmmmm. Headed to a great beer pub tonight they have the Weihenstephan on tap. I'll have to try one.

What pub are you talking about? I don't make it up your way too often but it's great to know good places to go in case you get stuck in traffic.

By the way, the original doppelbock was far less attenuated (apparent) then today (50-60%), so there was a considerable amount of sugars left that were not transformed into alcohol (more than 50% are left). So it was realistically a 5% beer with a lot of sugar left in it.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Believe me, the thought crossed my mind more than once, but I can never remember the silly blue laws around here and couldn't remember if you can't buy beer in the morning, or if that's only on Sundays. I didn't want to look like a total idiot at the checkout.

I have a number of friends that give up alcohol during Lent...I'm not sure why, but I think I like the German system better the more I hear about it.

CBC's Doppelbock, I'm sure, is an American interpretation of the style and hence uses more hops. At least that's my theory. The barleywine was certainly in the American style.

You scared the hell out of me, I thought you were going to say you were going to stop brewing for lent.

F, that.

This is the only Ash Wednesday I celebrate;

Bruce_Campbell_Army_of_Darkness.jpg

Jaeger48 said:
You scared the hell out of me, I thought you were going to say you were going to stop brewing for lent.

F, that.
I'm not Catholic or any other denomination that observes that custom, so I don't give up anything. My wife, OTOH, is Catholic, and I just have to make sure she doesn't give up me during Lent, if you know what I mean.

Baron von BeeGee said:
My wife, OTOH, is Catholic, and I just have to make sure she doesn't give up me during Lent, if you know what I mean.

I Lol'd :D

Anyways...I tried a Celebrator (courtesy of Phil). Me and SWMBO had a Dopplebock tasting last night. Salvator, Troegenator, Celebrator (I didn't have any Optimator around). So when we finished I asked SWMBO to rank them.

1) Celebrator
2) Salvator
3) Troegenator

God I love SWMBO.

Back