bulk rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion7144

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch with rice tomorrow. I already bought the rice hulls but I just realized I always have tons of rice around since my wife is asian. We generally by the 25lb bags. Can I use this rice or just stick with the rice hulls?

I am brewing my first batch with rice tomorrow. I already bought the rice hulls but I just realized I always have tons of rice around since my wife is asian. We generally by the 25lb bags. Can I use this rice or just stick with the rice hulls?

That's racist :)

Rice and rice hulls are two different things...rice hulls impart nothing to the beer, they are used to keep the mash from sticking when using grains like rice, oats, rye or anything else that creates a sticky mash. So, you will want to use both rice and the rice hulls, but don't calculate your recipe as though the rice hulls will add any fermentables.

If you plan to use rice as fermentables, you will want to cook it first or else you won't get much out of it. It is much easier to use the instant rice (a.k.a. Minute Rice) since that is already gelatinized, and much easier to mix into your mash than a big clump of steamed rice. Same goes with oats, BTW.

sooooo: is rice always used like oats, or can it also be malted and used like barley? (assuming one could source rice that had diastic power)

Rice doesn't have diastatic power as far as I know. When making sake, they use a mold (koji) as a source of the necessary enzymes to convert the starches.

Back