Hop Tea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just kegged an all Chinook IPA, not real happy with hop flavor and aroma(lacking), anyone done a hop tea? I tried it once and got a very grassy flavor. Any ideas?

Sometimes I do hop tea in a French Press, depends on the style. Watch the temperature and the pH.

I would start with a cup of beer and an oz of leaf hops. Let it soak for a while, then add near boiling distilled water until the resulting temperature is 175F. Let it cool to room temperature, then hops away.

It’s like a dry hop, but with better utilization.

I've done them in a french press several times. They work but I have found that late hopping, whirlpool additions and dry hopping get the job done for me.

I like the 175 steep then let it cool. Maybe 30 minutes then I add it to my secondary before transfer.

Tried it once, got a bit of a grassy taste, but I was not as careful as a probably should have been with temp/ph.

Back