Interrupting a lager temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbaesl

Reaction score
So I have fridge which is temperature controlled, with a munich dunkel lagering away at 35F. The issue is that I want to brew an ale with a controlled temp at 62F. So should I just wait until the lagering is done, or can I raise the temp in the fridge for 10 days for the ale and then resume lagering? Will that have any adverse effects of the lager?

I know I could try to just bring my room temp down with a few tricks to ferment the ale, but I was wondering if there are any other tricks you guys use to be making lagers and ales while using strict fermentation temp control with one fridge.

Cheers,
Mark

How long has it been lagering?

If it's been going for several weeks already, then there's likely no more fermentation occurring, so all lagering is accomplishing at this point is clarifying the beer. Thus, allowing it to warm up won't harm it. The only concern I'd have would be if you have to move it out of your fridge to make room for the ale, then move it back in 10 days later. Those two movements could stir up sediment you've patiently been allowing to drop out and set you back several weeks.

So I have fridge which is temperature controlled, with a munich dunkel lagering away at 35F. The issue is that I want to brew an ale with a controlled temp at 62F. So should I just wait until the lagering is done, or can I raise the temp in the fridge for 10 days for the ale and then resume lagering? Will that have any adverse effects of the lager?

I know I could try to just bring my room temp down with a few tricks to ferment the ale, but I was wondering if there are any other tricks you guys use to be making lagers and ales while using strict fermentation temp control with one fridge.

Cheers,
Mark

That was my problem before I bought a second chest freezer for only lagering..I like to lager my beers for at least 4 -6 weeks, so it was tough to ferment another beer. Before I got second CF, I used a cooler with ice bottles in it for brew temps in and around the 60's. Now with 2 freezers, I use one for lagering and the other for conditioning..

Cheers,
Mark

I use a second STC-1000 that controls the ale temp via FermWrap that way my chamber is always at 40F....it also holds all my serving kegs and my stored beer/wine so I like to leave it alone.

zacster said:
Hmmm, Syracuse NY in the winter? Where may you find a cold place to lager?

Seriously, I'm a bit south in NJ and it's freezing. I wish I had something to lager outside for free.

Back