Infected? What do you think.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cage333

Reaction score
No airlock activity. Its been about two weeks since fermentation began. It smells a bit like grapefruit. The first pic is three days ago. The second is today. Beer is an IPA and has been kept at a steady 68 degrees. Dry yeast with no starter was used.

IMG_20121227_144532.jpg

IMG_20121231_125817.jpg

Tough to tell for sure but IMO it looks like beer although I am kind of surprised to hear that this is two weeks after pitching as it looks to be in the final stage of fermentation and the krausen is just starting to drop and clear.

How long was the lag time before fermentation took off as those days really can't be counted in the fermentation process. In other words, when did actual active fermentation begin? Maybe on 9-10 days ago......?

Give it another day or two to begin clearing and take a gravity reading to see where it's at.

according to your masking tape label, its been fermenting for 9 days? that is less than 2 weeks. wait a few more days for it to drop and take a gravity reading. basically, what duboman said.

Tough to tell for sure but IMO it looks like beer although I am kind of surprised to hear that this is two weeks after pitching as it looks to be in the final stage of fermentation and the krausen is just starting to drop and clear.

How long was the lag time before fermentation took off as those days really can't be counted in the fermentation process. In other words, when did actual active fermentation begin? Maybe on 9-10 days ago......?

Give it another day or two to begin clearing and take a gravity reading to see where it's at.

Lag time was about 10hrs. I will be letting it sit and hope for the best. Thanks for the input.

Looks like green hop trub and krausen leftovers to me. Do as the others say, give it a week, take a reading and see where you're at.

The grapefruit smell is a good thing! :tank:

No airlock activity. Its been about two weeks since fermentation began. It smells a bit like grapefruit. The first pic is three days ago. The second is today. Beer is an IPA and has been kept at a steady 68 degrees. Dry yeast with no starter was used.

From the pictures you posted I really don't think that your beer is infected at all. If you still think this in a week send me your address and I will have an EPA team show up to properly transport it to my place for further treatments.

Yeah it doesn't look like it's infected as of right now. Just looks like its still going through the fermentation process.

Back