Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just moved and got out all my homebrew stuff. Just looked on the mr. beer website and it looks like the have a whole new line of stuff. does it taste better than before. I know coopers bought them. Is it better or worse that before??? One more question is there dme better to use thean the booster pack???? I just ordered there octborerfest and the ipa. will brew them one next week and one the week after. getting a good stock for the summer.

Alright here's my dilemma. I got the mr beer kit for an early Xmas present. I fermented for about a week and a half. I did not have a hydrometer at that time (I do now tho for the next batch!), but there was a good layer of sediment on the bottom. I bottled per instructions. Conditioned for 8 days and put one in the fridge for 2 days. I tried it last night. It looked and smelled like beer, but DID NOT taste good. It had a little head, not much tho. And tasted flat and sweet. The other bottles are still conditioning. If I did not ferment long enough, will conditioning longer make up for it? Just wondering why I'm getting a not so great taste. I was so excited to try this, but failed so far.

My fiancé got the kit for me and was not happy that I had to dump out the first glass I poured!! I'm hoping I can somehow salvage this rest of the batch.

Conditioned for 8 days and put one in the fridge for 2 days. I tried it last night. It looked and smelled like beer, but DID NOT taste good. It had a little head, not much tho. And tasted flat and sweet.

Give it at least 3 weeks at 70 degrees before putting any more in the fridge - should improve a lot. Being winter, you might be conditioning at cooler temperatures - this would take longer conditioning.

Alright here's my dilemma. I got the mr beer kit for an early Xmas present. I fermented for about a week and a half. I did not have a hydrometer at that time (I do now tho for the next batch!), but there was a good layer of sediment on the bottom. I bottled per instructions. Conditioned for 8 days and put one in the fridge for 2 days. I tried it last night. It looked and smelled like beer, but DID NOT taste good. It had a little head, not much tho. And tasted flat and sweet. The other bottles are still conditioning. If I did not ferment long enough, will conditioning longer make up for it? Just wondering why I'm getting a not so great taste. I was so excited to try this, but failed so far.

My fiancé got the kit for me and was not happy that I had to dump out the first glass I poured!! I'm hoping I can somehow salvage this rest of the batch.

You must learn patience weed hopper. 8 days is nowhere near long enough. I'd leave it in a dark place for at least 3-4 weeks before putting any of it in the fridge. Then chill one for a week and try it out. I think you'll be much happier. Which recipe did you make?

I got the Mr beer kit for Christmas as well. Is there a recipe for a simple beer using dry malt extract that I can brew with two or three ingredients? I want to make something affordable. I'm thinking DME, sugar, yeast, and hops. Would that be good?

As others have said, you rushed it big time. If you want to make good Mr Beer, figure 3 weeks in the LBK, and at least 3 in the bottles.

Let the stuff in the bottles ride. Get another batch going.

Welcome to the obsession

I got the Mr beer kit for Christmas as well. Is there a recipe for a simple beer using dry malt extract that I can brew with two or three ingredients? I want to make something affordable. I'm thinking DME, sugar, yeast, and hops. Would that be good?

Did the Mr Beer kit come with a kit? If so, consider starting out by just making a MRB kit straight up. When you get more comnfortable with the process, then you can experiment a bit.

Just my 2 cents

Did the Mr Beer kit come with a kit? If so, consider starting out by just making a MRB kit straight up. When you get more comnfortable with the process, then you can experiment a bit.

Just my 2 cents

Yeah. I'm just thinking ahead. I have two refills that were also gifts. That's about three cases worth...? I suppose in the Spring I will look at making something from scratch.

Also Consider myself to be an excellent cook. I make homemade bread without a machine.

Do you have trub in the bottom of the fermenter? If you do the yeast is working. There's not alwaysc a thick layer of Krausen on top.

Yeah, I came home yesterday to a nice thick layer of Krausen and trub in the bottom. Smells fantastic! Already trying to think of what I should brew next.

cbmikey said:
You must learn patience weed hopper. 8 days is nowhere near long enough. I'd leave it in a dark place for at least 3-4 weeks before putting any of it in the fridge. Then chill one for a week and try it out. I think you'll be much happier. Which recipe did you make?

I was just following the mr beer directions. I now know better!!! Oh well. live and learn! I will let the beer sit for awhile longer and test it again.

Hey everyone,
Like many I received a Mr. Beer kit (American Light) for christmas. I also received another brewing kit (Irish Red Ale) with a small glass carboy, capper, siphon, etc. (I guess the word is out that I like beer). My question is this, given that I have the two kits, do you all think that the Mr. Beer will be helpful down the road or would I be better served to buy, say, a hydrometer and other supplies/tools. I guess what I'm driving at is, do those of you who have moved on from Mr. Beer find it useful to have around or not?

Beyond that, this forum is amazing. Not only is it crazy informative but it is refreshingly adult and respectful as far as forums go. Everyone is so helpful and nice.

Thanks

Hey everyone,
Like many I received a Mr. Beer kit (American Light) for christmas. I also received another brewing kit (Irish Red Ale) with a small glass carboy, capper, siphon, etc. (I guess the word is out that I like beer). My question is this, given that I have the two kits, do you all think that the Mr. Beer will be helpful down the road or would I be better served to buy, say, a hydrometer and other supplies/tools. I guess what I'm driving at is, do those of you who have moved on from Mr. Beer find it useful to have around or not?

Beyond that, this forum is amazing. Not only is it crazy informative but it is refreshingly adult and respectful as far as forums go. Everyone is so helpful and nice.

Thanks

Its always helpful to have the Mr Beer fermenter around for 2 gallon batches to test out recipes or just make a smaller batch.

Or just send me that LBK (you can keep the brew kit it came with). Ive got one LBK and will take all I can get to make small batches and ciders. :D

One of my favorite beers is Bavarian Hefeweizen, and I don't use any specialty grains in it - pretty basic. If you're interested, look at the Northern Brewer recipe on their website. You can scale it down as needed.

Bottled 7 gallons last night, 5 from a bucket and 2 from Mr. Beer. I also was brewed a new 5 gallon batch last night.

Bottling from Mr Beer is a cake walk vs racking a bucket to a second botting bucket. The dang auto siphon crapped out on me with 1 gallon of beer to go... I proceeded to make a huge mess trying to get it working again only to just pour the top layer of beer into my bottling bucket.

I bottled my Mr. Beer afterwards... piece of cake. The amount of liquid is much less as well.

I swear, I am tempted to just get a 2nd Mr Beer barrel and ferment double barrel style for ease.

Bottled 7 gallons last night, 5 from a bucket and 2 from Mr. Beer. I also was brewed a new 5 gallon batch last night.

Bottling from Mr Beer is a cake walk vs racking a bucket to a second botting bucket. The dang auto siphon crapped out on me with 1 gallon of beer to go... I proceeded to make a huge mess trying to get it working again only to just pour the top layer of beer into my bottling bucket.

I bottled my Mr. Beer afterwards... piece of cake. The amount of liquid is much less as well.

I swear, I am tempted to just get a 2nd Mr Beer barrel and ferment double barrel style for ease.

Your LHBS should carry 2 and 3 gallon size ferment buckets, thats what I do

I just saw one on craigslist for 15 bucks and it comes with 8 liter sized bottles. Check there first.

Hey everyone,

Thanks
I do both and still use the mr beer. I don't always have the time to devote to an all day brew session. It usually takes an hour or less and I've got some beer brewing, helps keep the pipeline going. I also use the mr beer LBKs for five gallon batches, split the batch between two kegs.

What kind of ciders would be good to make in the MR beer kits? I just received one also for Christmas. And of course. I have caught the homebrewing bug. I havent stopped researching new things to try. just dont know which to make. I enjoy beer, but using the mr beer to make my own beer seems a bit time consuming because i can consume a lot within the time it takes to make it. (already looking into others and more efficient amounts)
Just looking for some simple hard cider recipes. And should you bottle right from the MR Beer or should I rack the cider into another carboy for more aging then bottling.? Thanks

What kind of ciders would be good to make in the MR beer kits? I just received one also for Christmas. And of course. I have caught the homebrewing bug. I havent stopped researching new things to try. just dont know which to make. I enjoy beer, but using the mr beer to make my own beer seems a bit time consuming because i can consume a lot within the time it takes to make it. (already looking into others and more efficient amounts)
Just looking for some simple hard cider recipes. And should you bottle right from the MR Beer or should I rack the cider into another carboy for more aging then bottling.? Thanks

For a great, easy cider/apple wine recipe click here! You don't really need to rack to a secondary, but a seperate "bottling bucket" where you can batch prime is better than measuring out and placing sugar in each individual bottle.

I have my new Mr. Beer and have been reading around here a bit.

I am going to let it ferment for 14 days.

I used the one can + Booster

I just ordered Briess - Dry Malt Extract - Golden Light, to use for bottling, should I use the same amount as listed for sugar, or is there another calculation for DME?

Thank you!

For a great, easy cider/apple wine recipe click here! You don't really need to rack to a secondary, but a seperate "bottling bucket" where you can batch prime is better than measuring out and placing sugar in each individual bottle.

thanks a lot, i was looking into this one before but it was once i received my beer kit. Of course beer takes a lot more to make (so it seems) than meads and ciders. So i plan on getting more stuff to make ciders and meads. so the mr beer is good for making the apfelwein? Just follow instructions, make a 2 gallon batch and put it into the mr beer. No airlock needed with it? or just top it off with the original cap it came with on the mr beer keg thing.

I just ordered Briess - Dry Malt Extract - Golden Light, to use for bottling, should I use the same amount as listed for sugar, or is there another calculation for DME?

Thank you!

I've never used anything but plain white sugar for priming, but if you want to use something different, you should adjust the amount used because of differences in fermentability.

I'd recommend using a calculator to determine how much to use. There are many available. Here is one that allows you to specify the kind of sugar you use, the size of the bottle, etc: http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/p/brewing-tools-formulas.html#bpc

Thank you!

Next time, use the DME to brew with instead of Booster and use plain ol' table sugar for priming. You'll end up with a better beer.

thanks a lot, i was looking into this one before but it was once i received my beer kit. Of course beer takes a lot more to make (so it seems) than meads and ciders. So i plan on getting more stuff to make ciders and meads. so the mr beer is good for making the apfelwein? Just follow instructions, make a 2 gallon batch and put it into the mr beer. No airlock needed with it? or just top it off with the original cap it came with on the mr beer keg thing.

I actually halve the recipe and fill to the bottom of the "Q" on the side of the LBK which is close to 2.5 gals. No airlock needed. Just add ingredients and it should be ready to bottle after 4 weeks pass.

I actually halve the recipe and fill to the bottom of the "Q" on the side of the LBK which is close to 2.5 gals. No airlock needed. Just add ingredients and it should be ready to bottle after 4 weeks pass.

mind sending me the link/recipe to me in a private message? just so i can make sure i gather it all up and have it all taken care of before i begin. Thanks a lot by the way

Thank you!

FYI, if you can hold out, let it sit in the fermenter another week, the prime/ bottle and give it at least 4 more weeks, then put a couple in the fridge for a few days and enjoy.

My plan is to ferment for 3, bottle and starting at 3 weeks after that, slowley pulling 1-2 bottles out and trying them to really see what the difference is.

Mr. Beer's recipe's generally have low original/final gravity... this helps the turn around time on the beer. I had to learn the hard way that a higher gravity beer takes extra time for the yeast to clean up the beer. When I would normally drink a Mr Beer after 3 to 4 weeks, my extract with speciality grains (being higher in gravity) have taken 4-5 weeks to be ready to drink.

In fact, because the Mr Beers are so low in ABV, I would wager that most people who move on to personal recipes are gonna try to boost the alchohol... so then it will take longer.

Noob looking for advice on yeast. Is it ok to use the yeast that comes with mr beer kit? I've heard that you should get "new" yeast but have also heard it won't have that much of an affect. Just wondering if it will have a large affect or not.

Also, what is the best way to add the yeast? Just sprinkle it over the batch in the fermenter as stated in the mr beer instructions?

I will be starting my second batch soon and didn't start reading this very informative thread until after the first batch!! Hoping for better things this time around. Any other tips much appreciated.

welp got my first batch brewed and its bubbleing away on my basement stairs. didnt feel like brewing but it smells like beer so i dont really care let the obsession begin i'm ready for this hobby to take over my free time lol :mug:

Noob looking for advice on yeast. Is it ok to use the yeast that comes with mr beer kit? I've heard that you should get "new" yeast but have also heard it won't have that much of an affect. Just wondering if it will have a large affect or not.

Also, what is the best way to add the yeast? Just sprinkle it over the batch in the fermenter as stated in the mr beer instructions?

I will be starting my second batch soon and didn't start reading this very informative thread until after the first batch!! Hoping for better things this time around. Any other tips much appreciated.
The yeast that comes with the kit is a good general purpose yeast. The wheat kits have wheat yeast (before the Coopers acquisition, the wheat kits used an all purpose year also).

One of the problems with the old kits was that the yeast packets were too small at 2 grams, but the new packets have 5 grams each.

Using a yeast tailored to the style you're being can make a big difference. For example, I like to use US-05 for American ales and US-04 for English ales. But the packaged yeast is a good general purpose yeast. One advantage of the yeast that comes with the kit is that it is tolerant of a wide range of temperatures.

The best practice for dry yeast is to rehydrate according to the manufacturer's instructions. That usually means bringing about a half cup of water to a boil, let it cool to 90° F (make sure you sanitize the thermometer). Then sprinkle the yeast on top and let it sit for 15 minutes.

If you don't have an accurate thermometer, there's a danger that you'll rehydrate too hot and kill the year. Rehydrating properly will give you about twice as much viable yeast cells to start. But if you don't have a good thermometer, you're better off just sprinkling on the wort.

Hello everyone! Same story as all the other MRB owners...

A friend of mine got a Mr. Beer a few weeks ago. He showed it to me, and I wanted one too... left little hints and SWMBO got me one for Christmas!

THEN I get on the forums and read the mixed reviews. I personally think it will be a great way to get started and I am counting the days.

If I enjoy the hobby, and I'm sure I will, I might someday upgrade to the 5 Gallon set-ups I have read so much about.

Here is my issue. I live in south Alabama. She bought the MRB off of Amazon because we couldn't find one ANYWHERE near by. We recently passed a law called "Free the Hops" allowing the sale of beer above 4%ABV. (I know, sucks!) Bible Belt.

I can't seem to locate a home brew store anywhere locally... if any of you know where or how to look them up, my zip is 36526.

I have been trying to find a thread about the carboy set-ups you guys are so fond of, but I can't find one... like, a shopping list is what I want. Can I pick up everything I need at Lowe's/Home Depot?

I'm not even sure what it looks like.

I read a few posts back about getting a 3Gallon PET bottle and using that for fermentation, and then using the MRB for a bottling bucket. I kinda like that idea, as I think I can find that at Home Depot. However, I also read about an "S" air lock and some other stuff... this confused me.

I don't wanna go ask someone at Home Depot, and them have no clue what I'm talking about, and not be able to explain...

TLDR:
Is there a thread (Preferably with pictures) that details what I'd need to get a better/bigger HB setup going? Also, please more information (Again, prefer pictures) on the 3Gal PET bottles and things I'd need.

Also, help me find a LHBS near 36526. I'd be ok with going as far as Mobile, AL, and Pensacola, FL.

Hello everyone! Same story as all the other MRB owners...

A friend of mine got a Mr. Beer a few weeks ago. He showed it to me, and I wanted one too... left little hints and SWMBO got me one for Christmas!

THEN I get on the forums and read the mixed reviews. I personally think it will be a great way to get started and I am counting the days.

If I enjoy the hobby, and I'm sure I will, I might someday upgrade to the 5 Gallon set-ups I have read so much about.

Here is my issue. I live in south Alabama. She bought the MRB off of Amazon because we couldn't find one ANYWHERE near by. We recently passed a law called "Free the Hops" allowing the sale of beer above 4%ABV. (I know, sucks!) Bible Belt.

I can't seem to locate a home brew store anywhere locally... if any of you know where or how to look them up, my zip is 36526.

I have been trying to find a thread about the carboy set-ups you guys are so fond of, but I can't find one... like, a shopping list is what I want. Can I pick up everything I need at Lowe's/Home Depot?

I'm not even sure what it looks like.

I read a few posts back about getting a 3Gallon PET bottle and using that for fermentation, and then using the MRB for a bottling bucket. I kinda like that idea, as I think I can find that at Home Depot. However, I also read about an "S" air lock and some other stuff... this confused me.

I don't wanna go ask someone at Home Depot, and them have no clue what I'm talking about, and not be able to explain...

TLDR:
Is there a thread (Preferably with pictures) that details what I'd need to get a better/bigger HB setup going? Also, please more information (Again, prefer pictures) on the 3Gal PET bottles and things I'd need.

Also, help me find a LHBS near 36526. I'd be ok with going as far as Mobile, AL, and Pensacola, FL.

The reason that you can't find any LHBS in Alabama is that it's still illegal there.
During Prohibition, most states made laws banning all production of alcoholic beverages. After the repeal, most states specifically exempted homebrew, often with other minor stipulations (home distillation is still illegal, though often is ignored as long as it's only for personal use... YMMV greatly), some states and localities kept the ban on private production, even for personal use.
The feds allow homebrewers to produce up to 100 gallons of beer or wine, or up to 200 gallons in households with more than one adult, yearly.

Now, with that all said, there are many people who still practice the art beermaking in Alabama, and there are constant efforts to get the law repealed or modified. It's also apparently seldom enforced, and there is even question whether or not it's REALLY a ban, because the wording is somewhat vague. I'm sure if more people brewed, it'd show up on the state supreme court docket at some point.

I'd say that you're going to have better luck looking out of state, but I don't know of any. I would not recommend purchase of anything from Home Depot that's going to come into contact with your beer, as *most* of that won't be food grade, and won't protect your fermenting beverage from infection (and perhaps will even harbor bacteria that might spoil the brew)
LHBS or online sale will probably serve you better.

As with anything, you'll probably want to do more research to find out what works best for you, that's just my take on it.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the fast reply Raenon! (Love the avatar btw)

Didn't know it was illegal!!! Ouch! Stupid laws. Luckily, Florida is less than an hour drive, and my brother lives there. Next time I go visit him, I'll do a little research on a LHBS near his house. I'm hoping it isn't illegal in Florida too.

The primary reason I went with MRB is the cost. I didn't want to break the bank going all out, and then find I don't like doing it.

Started cheap. If I enjoy it, I wanna get something nicer, but still don't want to spend a TON. I'll have to check the online HBS websites. :D

The reason that you can't find any LHBS in Alabama is that it's still illegal there.
During Prohibition, most states made laws banning all production of alcoholic beverages. After the repeal, most states specifically exempted homebrew, often with other minor stipulations (home distillation is still illegal, though often is ignored as long as it's only for personal use... YMMV greatly), some states and localities kept the ban on private production, even for personal use.
The feds allow homebrewers to produce up to 100 gallons of beer or wine, or up to 200 gallons in households with more than one adult, yearly.

Now, with that all said, there are many people who still practice the art beermaking in Alabama, and there are constant efforts to get the law repealed or modified. It's also apparently seldom enforced, and there is even question whether or not it's REALLY a ban, because the wording is somewhat vague. I'm sure if more people brewed, it'd show up on the state supreme court docket at some point.

I'd say that you're going to have better luck looking out of state, but I don't know of any. I would not recommend purchase of anything from Home Depot that's going to come into contact with your beer, as *most* of that won't be food grade, and won't protect your fermenting beverage from infection (and perhaps will even harbor bacteria that might spoil the brew)
LHBS or online sale will probably serve you better.

As with anything, you'll probably want to do more research to find out what works best for you, that's just my take on it.

Good luck!

Awesome post Raenon. Well said and very informative!

It's been more than three years since I read How to Brew and got it in my head to someday brew my own. I got a MrBeer kit at half off after the holidays, and I'm going to brew a batch tonight. Biggest reason I didn't do it before was the cost of the equipment I anticipated buying, so I'm glad I saw the kit and got it, at least to give it a shot and start. So hopefully in a few weeks I'll have some light lager in my swing top bottles (ex-Grolsch) to enjoy...

If it is illegal to brew in Alabama then how can they sell the Mr. Beer kits?
Until about 3 and a half years ago, brewing was illegal in Utah. Buying, selling, owning brewing equipment and ingredients were all legal, it was just brewing that wasn't.

If you think about it, it would be pretty tough to outlaw it all. Barley has uses aside from brewing, and so do yeast and hops. I can make a fermenter from a bucket.

If it is illegal to brew in Alabama then how can they sell the Mr. Beer kits?

Because it's not illegal to sell malt and yeast, and would especially difficult to try to enforce it over state lines even if it were.
The use of radar detectors is illegal in several states- but you can still buy them online too.

Latest posts

Back