Attempting 40%+ ABV beer... "Barley Brandy"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cape, I'm proud of you for following this effort through to the end. I was one of the doubters that thought this was going to be a few early posts, with no results. I'm glad that I was able to follow it in real time. Great effort thanks.:mug:
Soy sauce flavor? After the zillions of yeast cells that passed through this you [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]think something other than autolysis?
[/FONT]

Cape, I also want let you know that even though this beer took 2 years, cost hundreds of dollars and many hours of time and in the end it sucked, I am also proud of you. Have you ever tried brewing just an IPA though? I heard that's a pretty good kind of beer.

At least you have something to sprinkle on your Chinese food. :p

Sounds like autolysis (where you aging on the yeast cake?) as I'm sure that yeast was already hella stressed.

bottlebomber said:
Cape, I also want let you know that even though this beer took 2 years, cost hundreds of dollars and many hours of time and in the end it sucked, I am also proud of you. Have you ever tried brewing just an IPA though? I heard that's a pretty good kind of beer.

I laughed out loud a little...

Cape Brewing said:
It developed a lot of "soy sauce" flavor and I'm not 100% positive on how that developed (open to feedback on that).

I have a bottle of tactical nuclear penguin and it has hints of soy sauce as well. Only on the nose though.

Confucius say"You eat that much rice you end up with more chins than a Chinese phone book.""

I know this is an old one, but being old myself, I had to lol. Maybe try going for less ABV to get it to finish/carb properly? In a home brew setting, that might be more realistic? Unless you distilled part of it, then added it back? :mug:

The whole point was simply an exercise in freeze concentrating. I didn't miss the 40% by that much but it had all sorts of crazy off flavors from pushing distiller's yeast as hard as I could. The whole thing turned to soy sauce basically.

The whole point was simply an exercise in freeze concentrating. I didn't miss the 40% by that much but it had all sorts of crazy off flavors from pushing distiller's yeast as hard as I could. The whole thing turned to soy sauce basically.

In other words, it's a bit better than PTN's U2, U3, and U4?

On second thought, don't die. Almost die. So that you both end up with tubes stuck out of every possible opening and a couple more stuck through recently created openings. Then open your eyes to find me standing next to your bed.
"Hey Dickless, I'm Paul and I'm here to fix you. Unfortunately I'm having a bad day. Sucks to be you."

IDK...something keeps telling me not pushing it quite so high would give a better result. Can't shake it. Me thinks there's the answer in that one thought somehow? Like maybe starting a bit lower OG, then adding candi sugars & such to step it up or something? Like building more gradually, vs trying to fix it after starting big, of that makes any sense?

Yes it was. I don't know why Cape busts Dakota about that, Mrs. Dakota (The Elder) is lovely. For that matter, so is Mrs. Dakota (The Younger). I guess Cape just needs to adopt a scorched earth policy for anything at all having to do with that day in a pathetic attempt to preserve some dignity.

Hey Dakota, if you want you can bring your Mom to Masstoberfest. She might enjoy watching you run around like a headless chicken in order to get your brew finished in time to put on your tux before you head into the Opera House for Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella. (Yes, I checked.)

http://www.ticketnetwork.com/tix/rodgers-and-hammersteins-cinderella-10-03-2015-tickets-2515357.aspx

Back