Dry Hopping old hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuxarut

Reaction score
I bought a kit and left my 2 oz's of leaf hops sitting out for two weeks until I decided to dry hop. I completely forgot to throw them in the freezer until now. The hops had some slight discoloring too them and they didn't smell the freshest. What are your guys thoughts? I dry hopped Sunday, so it's only been two days. I could rack into a secondary with some fresh bought hops, or do I let it go and see how it turns out?

The beer will be fine (no infection) but you will not get a good hoppy aroma from old hops. Me personally, I would rack into another secondary and use the fresh hops. Just be careful not to let get to much oxygen in the beer when transferring.

Yes they were sealed. They just sat on my shelf for two weeks. Might keep it as is and if I don't like the hop aroma I I will try dry hopping in the keg.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Brewers Best its would sit at room temperature for god now's how long and still produce decent beer. 2 weeks in a sealed package at room temp won't hurt the hops that much (unless they sat in direct sunlight in a clear bag... then you might have some problems).

Back