HomeBrew Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Etu001

Reaction score
So, I just opened a bottle of the Haus Pale Ale that I made off of a recipe here.

I opened it 10 days since we bottled, but it has that "homebrewed" taste in either the beginning or the end of the taste (I can't remember which, cause I had it this weekend). Will that go away with another 2 weeks worth of aging? Is that what a green beer tastes like? Or is there something wrong with the process? The only thing I can think of is that we have a tough time keeping fermenting temperatures consistent and below 75 degrees. We have our second batch fermenting but fortunately its a saison so maybe it will be better suited to the heat.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

I think using the term "homebrewed taste" as a description for off, bad, or green flavors is a bad way to describe it. If we didn't like the "homebrewed taste" we likely wouldn't homebrew ;)

My guess is that since you fermented as high as 75F that you got a lot of fusel alcohols and esters in your beer. Between that and the fact that it is indeed likely green after only 10 days, you would probably benefit from letting it condition for a few more weeks..

The saison will be better suited for the 75+ temps...

Yeah, definitely let it condition fully (like 3-5 weeks) before making any assessments. Like Stauf said, with temps up there you'll likely have a lot of fusels (high alcohols) and fruity esters.

3 weeks at 70 degrees is the baseline for carbing your beer. On top of that, it may need to age for a bit before it comes into its own.

We get so. very. many. of these posts every week where people try their beer before it is ready, then discover off flavors. They worry, they start trying to diagnose the problem, when the *real* problem is that they are drinking beer that isn't ready.

Seriously, leave the beer alone at LEAST until the three week mark. Then put a couple in the fridge for a couple of days. THEN try them. Even then, you may very well discover that the last couple of bottles are far and away the best in the batch - because they got time to properly age.

Time is your friend and I never even try a beer before 3 weeks (well, not normally). By about 5, most of mine are about as good as they are going to get except for certain styles that need longer conditioning times.
I have found that using some extracts have made some of my beers taste a bit off but I rarely use them and never notice any problems as long as I ferment within the temps for the specific yeast. I've also found that if the temperature goes up or down too often, I have to condition longer.

Yeah, definitely let it condition fully (like 3-5 weeks) before making any assessments. Like Stauf said, with temps up there you'll likely have a lot of fusels (high alcohols) and fruity esters.

Yes, as was mentioned conditioning will help. But there are already strikes against this being a "good" beer, like the fermentation temperature. It may improve quite a bit, but conditioning can't fix a too-high fermentation temperature, unfortunately.

Yes, as was mentioned conditioning will help. But there are already strikes against this being a "good" beer, like the fermentation temperature. It may improve quite a bit, but conditioning can't fix a too-high fermentation temperature, unfortunately.

True that! :fro: Can't condition out fermentation flaws for the most part. Still let it sit for a few weeks before making your final call, but next time use a swamp cooler or something to keep temps below 70. Mid 60's is best for most ales. Your Saison will benefit from those warmer temps, but most ale yeast likes temps in the 60s.

Back