Original Gravity Too High?`

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO_crawler

Reaction score
Took measurement last night right after combining my wort and chilled water, but before the yeast was pitched. The AHS guide said that my 80 shilling should have an og around 1.044 and I got 1.070 at 78 degrees F. What should I do?? Do I need to add some water to the mixture or just leave it as is? Thanks

That corrects to 1.072 is pretty far over what a Scottish 80 should be. Double check your hydrometer and post your recipe.

It was an extract kit from austin brewing and it came with specialty grains, 5.5 extra pale, and 1oz fuggle, .5oz east kent golding hops. Followed the recipe to the t and currently have fermentation. Oh, whitelabs edinburgh yeast. Called AHB and they said that I either didnt get the wort mixed up enough in the carboy or I took a measurement from the bottom of the carboy, which I did and with my auto siphon. They also said I may have accidently gotten too much sugar, but that wasnt my fault so We'll see what comes out. hope it is drinkable. this is my first batch and I am concerned that it isnt going to be tastey!

If you were doing a partial boil, odds are was that it wasn't mixed completely when you took the sample, that's happened to me a few times. Just leave it be, I'm sure it'll be fine - RDWHAHB:mug:

I did an Irish Stout BB kit, and the OG came out pretty messed up. I got worried about it at first, but someone on here advised me to just leave it alone it should be ok. It turned out great!!!

your OG reading is simply off. as stated, you can't really miss OG with an extract kit, since efficiency isn't a variable like it is with PM or AG brewing.
unless you only had 4 gallons instead of 5, the chance is high that you just don't have it mixed well enough, and your hydro sample was 'heavy'.

just assume you did hit the OG spot on, and aim for the recipe's final gravity. fermentation will take care of mixing up the wort so its consistent when finished.

Back