Homebrew Competitions are great. So is bragging.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewchitect

Reaction score
I just entered my first comp. and won 3rd place in category 23. Specialty Beer with a black IPA (there were only 7 other beers in the category).
It feels great! You gotta try this! It's like a drug....(peer pressure).
It was the HogTown Brew-Off in Gainesville, FL.
Just wanted to brag. Thanks for listening everyone.

Just wait until you win Best of Show over 850 other beers. Then it's REALLY addicting. ;)

But congrats! Keep it up!

Just wait until you win Best of Show over 850 other beers. Then it's REALLY addicting. ;)

But congrats! Keep it up!

Yeah, then you want more. Then it takes more to get you high. One ribbon just doesn't cut it any more. Next thing you know it you are sending bottles all over the country looking for a fix.

That's is great! One of my favorite homebrew comps was canceled for this year. I won 3rd my first year, 2nd the next, and didn't place last year. I was going to shoot for 1st this year, but the organizers said they weren't doing it. Last year's comp was kind of funny. I think they got too big and were understaffed. I was even going to help out this year too!

Thanks, the best part was the feedback from judges. I didn't place with my IPA. The judges said it tasted "past its prime" but it was only in the bottle for a few weeks. Any clue what that means?

I'll be entering more at the First Coast Cup in Jacksonville, FL.
http://www.thecask.org/first coast cup.htm

More than likely, they felt the aroma had faded. They may have been suffering from some palate fatigue as well.

There are some brewers who will plan their IPA brewdays around these competitions so it's as fresh as can be. I.e. 3-4 weeks before the competion.

I love the competitions I got 2nd this year for my ipa in the st. Louis microfest. It is like a drug.

Yeah, then you want more. Then it takes more to get you high. One ribbon just doesn't cut it any more. Next thing you know it you are sending bottles all over the country looking for a fix.

Hahaha. It's funny but oddly true...

Back