DIPA Dreadnaught... question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone, gonna do a Three Floyd's DIPA dreadnaught next week. The instructions say to mash @ 159 for 60 minutes. Anybody have any experience with the BYO recipe or mashing at that temperature. Its only 2-row and 1.25lbs of Melodianin malt. :mug:

I can't offer any assistance, but would you mind posting your recipe and keep us posted on the results? I have been wanting to do this brew myself.

I have never tried Three Floyd's Dreadnaught, but it seems to me that a high mash temp like that would give you a sweet beer. When I did a DFH 120 minute clone it was 33 lbs of pilsner and 1 lb of amber malt. I think i mashed that at 151-152 to try to get more of the short chain sugars that are easily digested by the yeast.

I'm wondering, OP, if 159 is a typo? 149 seems more likely. 159 is way high regardless of the beer, and with enough grain for a DIPA that sounds like one worty, chewy, malty beer. I guess you could use 379IBUs of hops to balance it out, though :)

Obviously, I've not had Dreadnought either... and I'm certainly mistaken here as often as not... but I"m hoping that's a typo!

I've actually never had it but people say it drinks more like a barleywine. Its in the BYO clone magazine @ 159. Its 17lbs of 2 row and 1.25lbs of the Melo. Malt. Also, it says to use Wyeast ESB strain which is low attenuating and malty. So in everyones opinion I should not mash at 159?

From a BYO mag-
Dreadnaught clone (Three Floyds Brewing Co.)

OG 1.084
FG 1.021
IBU 100
SRM 11
ABV 8.1

Apparent Attenuation 75%
Brewhouse Efficency 65%

Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
92.9 % 16.25 American Two-row Pale 78.2 5.9
7.1 % 1.25 Melanoidin Malt 5.4 10.0

Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
11.3 % 0.53 Warrior Whole/Plug 15.0 8.0 60 0.202 24.1
13.0 % 0.61 Simcoe Whole/Plug 13.0 7.9 60 0.202 24.0
15.5 % 0.73 Centennial Whole/Plug 11.0 8.0 45 0.186 22.3
15.5 % 0.73 Centennial Whole/Plug 11.0 8.0 30 0.155 18.7
34.0 % 1.60 Cascade Whole/Plug 5.0 8.0 15 0.100 12.0
10.6 % 0.50 Cascade Whole/Plug 5.0 2.5 DH 0.000 0.0

1 tsp Irish moss
Wyeast 1968 or WLP002
Single infusion at 159 deg F for 60 min.
Boil 90 min.
Ferment at 68 deg F.

BradleyBrew said:
I've actually never had it but people say it drinks more like a barleywine. Its in the BYO clone magazine @ 159. Its 17lbs of 2 row and 1.25lbs of the Melo. Malt. Also, it says to use Wyeast ESB strain which is low attenuating and malty. So in everyones opinion I should not mash at 159?

I would certainly take BYO's opinion over mine. I just hope you'll report back w/ your experience!

Ok, I will... its a ton of IBU's to counter the sweetness and body of a high temp mash. Will report back in about 2 months when its been bottled for about 3 weeks.

I'm doing this one soon. Have the ingredients, just need the time!
I have had Dreadnaught. It's certainly in my top 10 beers, possibly even top 5.
I wondered about the mash temp too. I'll go with it. In any case I'll have beer!

I wimped out and mashed at 156. I just think 159 in conjunction with the ESB yeast strain could easily lead to a overly sweet beer if the yeast doesn't attentuate to its fullest potential.

I wimped out and mashed at 156. I just think 159 in conjunction with the ESB yeast strain could easily lead to a overly sweet beer if the yeast doesn't attentuate to its fullest potential.

I'll do 159. Maybe when mine is done we can meet halfway, swap beers and see how they are.

Mine is in the keg carbing now. It should be ready for a serious taste this weekend. The tastings so far seem to back up what you would expect from a 160* mash; sweet and a bit chewy. It's been a while since I've had the real deal, but I think it's close. Maybe I can work a trade out, as finding Dreadnaught in central Ohio is not an easy task.

For what it's worth, I took a small amount (3 bottles worth) and threw it on some Jack Daniels chips. Completely un-scientific, but preliminary results are excellent! This should also be ready for a tasting this weekend. I have high hopes!

Mine turned out pretty solid. It has a nice body from mashing a bit high @ 156. I wish I would have went back and not used the ESB yeast. Just not a fan of the particular yeast as this is my second brew with this strain.

Dreadnaught is one of my top 3 IIPA's. I've brewed 2 batches of a recipe I formulated that was VERY similar to this.
The only differences were that I:
- used equal amounts of Melonoidin and Crystal 10L (about 4-5% of the total grain bill each)
- mashed at 156F
- and my hops were much different (Warrior, Columbus, Citra (BK & DH), Cascade (BK & DH), to the tune of 166 IBU :rockin:)
- used WLP007 with a starter

I calculated 8.7%ABV, but I think it was a bit higher than that. It was on the sweet side, which I actually really liked, but I may try a lower mash temp next time, and maybe some sugar to dry it out more and see how it compares.
The SRM was probably around 7-9 I think, aroma was awesome, the mouth feel had a really nice body, and the taste was amazing. This brew is a few of my friends favorite IIPA, and mine as well.

I A/B'd this with Dreadnaught, and it was very close. Dreadnaught won on Appearance and Taste (barely), but this brew won on Aroma, and Mouthfeel.

Back