Anyone know what to expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquareHeadBrew

Reaction score
So was brewing mad this past weekend. Made close to 2BBL of beer. and the last one was a hefeweizen, well supposed to be. At this point was very tired sundaynight.

anyhow. recipe started as a basic one.

20 lbs 2-row pale
15.5 german wheat weyermann

used centennial, tettnang, and palisade hops. added 1 lb agave

thats not the problem. the problem is I kept it at 10 gallons roughly and the
O.G. was a 1.085 :cross:

made a starter with german wyeast 3333.

It smells and looks great. temps have been between 65-73.8. got too warm, saw it and dropped temp more.

right now it's going crazy. it popped the top of the airlock off the carboy yesterday.

Hefes tend to go pretty crazy. I always use a blowoff tube. I think you are totally fine. If it is the fact that your airlock blewoff... again I wouldn't worry about it. I have done open fermentations and have yet to be infected. If you are worried you could wait till the fermentation is done but still some krausen left to where you could siphon the beer from below what you are afraid may contain some bad guys. Krausen is an amazing safety net.

1.085 will get you drunk if you get good attenuation. woohoo

Mistakes make great beers..... sometimes. Your gravity issue won't cause much of a problem other than a different beer than expected. I'm actually interested in the outcome. Tasting notes once carb'd please....

I did switch both of them over to a blow off tubes. I use gallon poland spring bottles and stick the tube through the handle. works really good except it clogged within hours and had to seperate the fermenting wort into 2 carboys and 2 pails. This stuff is going mad. Other things I forgot to mention in 1st post is that I did a 90 min boil. This was somewhat intentional to get this kind of gravity, and I really can't be worried. I'm just hoping it's a decent brew when finished. I will provide more information once I transfer it all.

A coolship of course............ Not sure what he is using for it but that's would the vessel would be called. I have seen some cool stainless ones.......

ok last night it has stopped alot but still a bubble every 3-4 min. I'm going to transfer into 2 carboys tomorrow when I drive over to the brew station. So that's 18 days in the primary.

I didn't want to interrupt the yeast and really curious to how this one's going to come out, but is this too long to let it go for?

I'll snap some pics of it while I'm there.

ok. so didn't do much but took a pic. this is 1 of 4. the others is still in a bucket. I ran out of carboys again. So I will transfer on easter sunday now instead of last night. ALOT OF TRUB. mainly because I didnt filter it to the boil and into the carboy/pail upon pitching the yeast.

Here is the one in teh jug.

2012-04-06_09-12-47_350.jpg

Latest posts

Back