Self Propelled Mower help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got a Self propelled mower with mulcher and bagger for $25 bucks off my wife's Brother. The self propelled part doesn't work and the front air filter is missing in order to manually toggle the the butterfly valve on the air intake. It run fine by doing this and I like have a bagger since I have another mower for regular mowing, but I'd like to get this one back up and at least being self propelled. Most like the Air intake butterfly valve is just a spring missing, but anyone know whats involved in the self propelled section?

Got a Self propelled mower with mulcher and bagger for $25 bucks off my wife's Brother. The self propelled part doesn't work and the front air filter is missing in order to manually toggle the the butterfly valve on the air intake. It run fine by doing this and I like have a bagger since I have another mower for regular mowing, but I'd like to get this one back up and at least being self propelled. Most like the Air intake butterfly valve is just a spring missing, but anyone know whats involved in the self propelled section?

What brand? What HP?

Many use a belt/pulley system on the shaft to turn the rear wheels...

The make and model will help me though...

ETA:

******Always remove the sparkplug before inspecting and/or working on a mower!******

Baggers suck.

I just got a free one from my brother who just moved to Las Vegas.

Had I known it was a bagger I would have declined and kept to my old rustbucket POS.

I hate to look a gifthorse in the mouth, but if that gifthorse is gonna mean extra work (I.E. bagging grass!) then I'm gonna have to check those tonsils out.

Depending on year, that mower should have a pulley and belt drive. In short, the wheels are driven by a belt that rides a main pulley between the mower deck and the blades.

Remove and/or unplug the spark plug, and check out the belt below the deck. Is it there? Does it tighten when you press the lever to propell it? When tight, the belt should have .5"-.75" of travel when you push on it.

It may be a simple belt adjustment or replacement. It can also be a broken linkage, but doubtful.

Good luck!

Thanks Hunlock. I'll check that out this week

BBKing I agree about Baggers sucking. I got it for a cheap back up and we have to magnolia trees that drop two rounds of flowers and a round of leaves. I basically want the bagger to clean up after that.

IP:

Serious thought: is this mower a mulching type? I have a hand-me-down mower that came with the bag. Guess what I threw away first!?!? :) Been mulching everything since!

Funny thought:
As soon as you get the self propelled action working, try this:

The corners are harder to mow this way though

Last edited by a moderator:
Back