Wine questions about yeast and nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukabrazi

Reaction score
I am making a couple of wine recipes this weekend. Both recipes call for lalvin 71b-122 but my local home brew shop only had lalvin k1-V1116 so thats what i bought. Both recipes also call for yeast nutrient but my lhbs only had yeast energizer so thats what I got. I will attach the recipes. Do you think it will still turn out okay? Any predictions for how this will change things? Thanks for the tips.

Benson’s Bonfire Blush
This is made from Welch’s white grape and raspberry frozen concentrate.

For each gallon that you make use the following:
• 2 cans frozen concentrate
• 1and ¼ pounds of sugar (about three cups)
• 2 tsp acid blend
• 1 tsp pectic enzyme
• 1 tsp yeast nutrient
• Enough water to make 1 gallon
• Yeast – Lalvin 71B-1122

One cup of sugar is equal to .4 pounds

Bring about 1 quart of water to a boil and dissolve the sugar. Add the rest of the ingredients except the yeast and then top up with water to make one gallon. Check the specific gravity to get potential alcohol content. Wait 12 hours and then add yeast following instructions on the packet. Cover with a napkin fastened with a rubber band for 4 or 5 days then fit with an air lock. Wait 30 days and then rack into another container. When it reaches the desired alcohol content, kill the yeast with ½ teaspoon of potassium sorbate. Use something to clarify the wine. I use super kleer which has two packets. You probably do not need this much for just one gallon. To make a 3 or 5 gallon batch multiply the recipe. One packet of yeast is usually good for 5 gallons and the packets of super kleer are good for 5 gallons. You will need to multiply the amount of potassium sorbate used to kill the yeast. You can always increase the amount of frozen juice used to make for a more concentrated flavor in the wine. You can always start with more sugar to end with a sweeter wine or to get a higher alcohol content. I usually try to end with a fairly dry wine that has an alcohol content of about 11.5 to 12 %

This makes 1 gallon:

3 lb. jelly or jam any flavor
6 pts of water
1 lb sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1/8 tsp tannin
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 pkg wine yeast (I normally use lavlin 1122)
starting sg 1.095 - 1.100
1. scoop jam or jelly into primary fermentor. stir in water (use cool not warm) and jelly or jam thoroughly.
2. stir in all other ingredients, then, add yeast. cover primary.
3. stir daily, check s.g.
4. when ferment reaches s.g 1.040 (3-5 days) syphon off wine sediment into glass secondary. attach airlock
5. when ferment reaches 1.000 (about 3 weeks) syphon off sediment into clean secondary. reattach lock.
6. to aid clearing syphon again in 2 months and again if necessary before bottling.
If you wish to slightly sweeten wine at bottling: add 1/2 tsp stabilizer, then stir in 1/4 lb. dissolved sugar per gallon.

Changed my mind about the blush. Tried a bottle of it last night and it taste like medicine. Still gonna try the jam wine though.

Back