Non-citrus hop combinations for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibb

Reaction score
So I'm getting kinda burnt out on citrisy ipa's that i've had recently and i'm wondering if any of you know of any good hops/hops combinations (bitter/flavor/aroma) that focus more on a piny/woody/spicy hop character. And, if you have any good recipes for an IPA like this please share!!

I did this is a very neutral IPA a while back, it was fantastic. Obviously you would change out the Nugget, but the beer had minor, if any, citrus character.

IBU Add. time.
Magnum 30 60
Magnum 30 50
Nugget 7 40
Williamette 7 30
Williamette 5 20
Fuggle 5 FO

Have you had British IPA's? You could do the traditional IPA, add a half pound of victory for a biscuity flavor and replace the hops with East Kent Golding, Challenger, or Target.

Also, have you had New Belgium's 2 below. It isn't advertised as an IPA but the aggressive non citrus hopping should give you an idea what Sterling and Liberty bring to the beer. Here is a recipe:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 68.84 %
1.80 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 13.04 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 10.87 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.25 %
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 42.8 IBU
1.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Oh yeah i really liked 2 below when i tried it. I like simcoe quite a bit but it seems to be slightly citrus from what i remember - I don't think I have had chinook - at least to where I can identify it

Chinook is supposed to be pine combined with grapefruit, I take more of the grapefruit flavor from it personally.

I think Magnum is an ideal bittering hop for a non-citrus IPA.

No. Here is a starting list to stay away from if you don't want the typical citrusy American IPA

Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Cluster
Simcoe
Citra
Columbus... maybe
Amarillo

I don't pick up on any citrus from Chinook or Simcoe, could be my taste buds though. But they are very common in IPA's.

Here's the hops I did for an English IPA that was probably the best beer I'd ever made:

Boil 60 mins 2.75 Glacier info pellet 5.7
Boil 20 mins 0.75 Willamette info pellet 5.5
Boil 10 mins 0.75 Willamette info pellet 5.5
Boil 5 mins 1.0 Willamette info pellet 5.5
Dry hop 7 days 2.0 Willamette info pellet 5.5

EKGs, Challenger, Fuggles, Styrian Goldings and Willamette, among others, will result in a beer that's more British in character (earthy). I'm not always in the mood for citrus in my beers either. I have a brown ale bottled that has Challenger and Styrian Goldings and it's great and has none of that citrus (recipe linked below, Tunisian Brown). Those hops all work well in Bitters.

I did an IPA with a high alpha hop from New Zealand called Pacific Gem and EKG for flavor, aroma and dry hopping - it was a nice combination.

No. Here is a starting list to stay away from if you don't want the typical citrusy American IPA

Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Cluster
Simcoe
Citra
Columbus... maybe
Amarillo

Right-on. I have dry-hopped with Columbus before, and the beer tasted like a christmas tree. Very piney. You do get maybe a little bit of citrus, but nothing like centennial/cascade.

Back