Utopias 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just read that it is coming out in the fall. I'm in Iowa so can't buy it in my state, but could easily go to Nebraska or Missouri if necessary. Anybody have any idea how to get one ordered? Or is there someplace I can order a bottle? I have read the suggested price is 150.00 bottle. Crazy price for a beer, but I'll pay that for a one time bottle.

I wouldn't even concider utopias a beer. I've had it once and it's more like a wine.

As for where to get it.. I recentely talked to the regional buyer for Binny's Beverage Depot. He mentioned that because only 8-12k bottles are made every two years, the chances of most small liquor stores getting them are slim. He said even Binny's will probably only get 2 or 3 bottles per store. Also, they will not keep them on the shelves because of the price. They will be in back and it's something you need to ask for.

He said a good idea is to call your nearest large liquor store in early september. By then they will know if they are getting some or not. If they are, maybe they might save one for you. He said it's highly doubtful though.

Yes, I know that it is a very limited quantity. I was hoping someone would have some incite as to where or how I could get on the list. Or even better pre-purchase one of the limited offerings.

i wouldn't doubt if you could find it in knoxville, TN. a little place on gay street named downtown wine and spirits would probably carry it. if not im sure their staff would point you in the right direction :)

Well. In Lincoln, NE I know there is one liquor store that has carried it in the past, and I would imagine Omaha has at least one as well but I'm not sure. In Lincoln it is The Still. If you can't find anywhere else you might look them up and call ahead. They have a fair selection on beers in general. GL.

Good pointer bbrim. I called Beertopia in Omaha Friday but the guy that answered did not have a clue. I'll try to talk to the manager tomorrow, but it may be kind of tough. I'm taking the tribe to Washington D.C. on vaca and leaving in the AM.

Anyway, I'll try Beertopia. But if that don't work out I'll contact The Still.

Unless of course someone has a better idea?

I read on the Boston Beer Co. site that it is not available in Iowa. Probably because of the high ABV.
I'm guessing it is considered a beer rather than a liquor.

You guys may need to go to Illinois, or Missouri. Of course I may be completely wrong about this.

Nebraska got two bottles last year. The one in omaha was at beertopia, and there was a raffle to see who had the opportunity to purchase it.

I decided to pay an even more ridiculous price for a 2007 off EBay. $200. I didn't care. I had money left over from x-mas shopping so I said, "What the heck."

If you really want a bottle, EBay is always a good last resort.

I decided to pay an even more ridiculous price for a 2007 off EBay. $200. I didn't care. I had money left over from x-mas shopping so I said, "What the heck."

If you really want a bottle, EBay is always a good last resort.

There were 2007 bottles goin for over $400 last time I looked.

a buddy of mine in denver got a bottle of this for his wedding (one of the older utopias). when i was out there this summer, he cracked it with us... it was very odd and i could only stomach about an ounce of it... tasted like maple brandy or something. good luck with your search.

try ebay.. you may pay a little more for it, but I got my 4 pack of patriots brew's from there a few years ago, paid $27 for a 4 pack of once of a life time beer experience

I just read that it is coming out in the fall. I'm in Iowa so can't buy it in my state, but could easily go to Nebraska or Missouri if necessary. Anybody have any idea how to get one ordered? Or is there someplace I can order a bottle? I have read the suggested price is 150.00 bottle. Crazy price for a beer, but I'll pay that for a one time bottle.

I know a place that has had it in the past in Omaha...... ;)

Nebraska got two bottles last year. The one in omaha was at beertopia, and there was a raffle to see who had the opportunity to purchase it.

I assume you mean two years ago, Utopias have been released in 2002, 2005, and 2007. I think the entire state of Nebraska got 14 bottles, not just 2. In fact I saw two of them at one store in Omaha.

a buddy of mine in denver got a bottle of this for his wedding (one of the older utopias). when i was out there this summer, he cracked it with us... it was very odd and i could only stomach about an ounce of it... tasted like maple brandy or something. good luck with your search.

My Utopias experience was a "Been there, done that." Glad I got a bottle but will never buy one again.

This is one beer I'll probably never taste.
Yo...
Just mix a shot of brandy with some wine, and youll be real close. I won a taste of it last year in a drawing, and I wanted to drag my tounge on the floor afterword. Im not much of a liquer person, and thats just what it reminded me of. There was nothing signature of a beer there anymore. This is just me mind you, some folks loved it.
Good luck.

Yo...
Just mix a shot of brandy with some wine, and youll be real close. I won a taste of it last year in a drawing, and I wanted to drag my tounge on the floor afterword. Im not much of a liquer person, and thats just what it reminded me of. There was nothing signature of a beer there anymore. This is just me mind you, some folks loved it.
Good luck.

I somewhat agree with you on this. I've tried it once. It wasn't horrible, but definately not a beer in my mind. It's got a really strong wine taste to it. I think the reason I want to buy a bottle is because of the respect factor. There's just something amazing about a 25+ABV beer. Also, the bottle is killer. This isn't something to drink in one night by any means. I would probably stick it in the same place I have all my good whiskeys. I might take a drink of it once or twice a year as with the whiskeys.

Is it shelf stable to support this?

Yes. It's not carbonated, so just opening the bottle won't cause any casualties...also, high gravity beers like this are known for their excellent shelf life. The bottle I had tried was from 2005 I believe. I just tried it with the owner about 6 months ago and he states it tasted the same as day one.

I assume you mean two years ago, Utopias have been released in 2002, 2005, and 2007. I think the entire state of Nebraska got 14 bottles, not just 2. In fact I saw two of them at one store in Omaha.

Ok. I was going off of what the guy at beertopia told me.

It's not worth it. A friends boss bought a bottle and let me take a sample. It's interesting, but not worth $140. It's been better in the past.

I need to get a bottle of this to share with my dad. He has a PHD in microbiology, and insists that yeast can't get above a certain alcohol concentration. I think whats cool about this "beer" is that is a completely fermented beverage. Although I'm sure its not ALL malt, its mighty impressive. Even Brandy is fortified with spirits to boost the alcohol and stop fermentation.

I need to get a bottle of this to share with my dad. He has a PHD in microbiology, and insists that yeast can't get above a certain alcohol concentration. I think whats cool about this "beer" is that is a completely fermented beverage. Although I'm sure its not ALL malt, its mighty impressive. Even Brandy is fortified with spirits to boost the alcohol and stop fermentation.

I thought brandy was distilled.

In addition to beer -and wine- I'm also a fan of single malt scotch. I just don't see how Utopias can possibly be that good that I'd pay the same as several bottles of Laphroiag. Just ain't gonna happen.

In addition to beer -and wine- I'm also a fan of single malt scotch. I just don't see how Utopias can possibly be that good that I'd pay the same as several bottles of Laphroiag. Just ain't gonna happen.

The above comments smacks of sour grapes. Did you know Laphroiag was going to be that good until you tried it? I would bet I can find people who think Laphroiag is unimpressive and would rather have several bottles of Johnnie Walker for the cost of a bottle of what you like. :mug:

I think this is more of a status thing. You know that it is brewed by the same Sam Adams brewery that Ive seen bashed as being BMC'like by the many beer snobs around here.

I hate to say it, but those same beer snobs need a reality check. I'm sure at one point, everyone on this board concidered Sam Adam's a high quality beer. I still do, although I don't buy it often.

My buddies call me a beer snob because I spend $20 on a 22oz. beer, but they don't mind because I'll still buy a 30 pack of keystone on the weekends.

Sam Adams has always made good beer...and regardless of what those beer snobs say... nothings going to change that. Either way...as stated, this beer isn't worth the money. It's just not something I want to drink more than once.

The above comments smacks of sour grapes. Did you know Laphroiag was going to be that good until you tried it? I would bet I can find people who think Laphroiag is unimpressive and would rather have several bottles of Johnnie Walker for the cost of a bottle of what you like. :mug:

No. It smacks of me not thinking Utopias is worth $150 a bottle. There's a difference:

"Sour grapes
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sour grapes is an expression originating from the Aesop Fable The Fox and the Grapes. It always refers to an unattainable goal and human reaction to it. It can mean to deny desire for the unattainable item."

It's not unattainable. I've got $150. I've got quite a bit more than that. You would therefore be correct in stating that I'm being judgmental without having tasted Utopias. However, I've been accused of being judgmental before, and I'll try hard to live with it this time.

This is one beer I'll probably never taste.

+1

Although, last year a buddy learned about a ritzy museum pub that stocked it. $8.00 two finger pour in a snifter.

I might do that if they have it this year, just to say I tried it.

Oklahoma only gets something like 6 bottle every other year I am told.

After my experience with Sam Adams Triple Bock, I'd have a hard time shelling out money for this. That Triple Bock is the most disgusting beer I've ever tasted.

It's cool that they're pushing the limits, though.

Back