Carbonating with keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbugawkagawk

Reaction score
hi i just bought a corni keg setup, i have been using bottle until now, i just wanted to know how long it takes to carbonate beer in the keg.

A couple of hours if you don't mind shaking it and aren't real picky.

If you just put the gas on it in the kegerator it takes about a week to get good.

can i still bottle? can i use the bottle filler that came with my kit to fill the bottles and just hook it up to the end with the tapper?

Carbing a keg can take anywhere from an hour to two weeks.

If you just set it and forget it at serving pressure (10-12 psi, usually) for a couple of weeks, you get the best results.

The WDNNSBG works great. You probably have all the materials laying around spare as it is anyhow.

When I keg, I generally do a hybrid carb routine. I'll dose the entire keg with 1/4 to 1/3 cup of corn sugar and let it condition for about a week or so. Then I'll stick it in the keezer and hook the gas line up to it. About two weeks later, it's perfectly carbed and at optimal drinking age. Blow off the first slug of yeast sediment from the bottom and drink away.

Since I'm kegging within 2-3 weeks and it's usually not optimal drinking until 5 or 6 weeks, the extra bit of time is no problem as far as I'm concerned.

If you are in a hurry, though, remember that higher pressure and higher surface contact area increases the absorbtion rate. Using a higher force-carbing pressure cuts the time down, as does shaking or any other method to create bubbles (which increases contact surface area).

Good luck!

I normally force carb but I just brewed a lager and after fermenting for 6 weeks I decided to let it lager and settle out and so I thought it'd be better to naturally carbonate in the keg. I threw in the 4oz. of corn sugar in boiled water but threw it into my keezer. Should I pull it out and let it get up to room temp to carbonate, or will it carb up fine in the cold?

30 psi for 48hours , then drop it to 12 psi. It will be drinkable in 5 days. Will be awesome in 2 weeks, brilliant in 3.

Back