Gushers!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makeyermark

Reaction score
Just cracked one of my IPA's at room temp and it's a gusher. They have been bottle conditioning in my closet for about 3 weeks now. After the gusher, I threw them all in the fridge. Any hope for fixing the gushing or do I just have to deal with it now?

Time heals all brews.......:drunk: Keep them in the fridge for ~1 week to let everything equalize then pop another. You should be fine. BTW how much priming sugar did you use for it?

I've had this happen. As a matter of fact I just opened on of my IPA's and, after six weeks in bottles, I had a gusher. I opened one that was in the fridge for a week and no gusher. Toss them in the refer and wait a few days.

They are prepackged baggies of priming sugar from my LHBS that weigh about 4.5 oz. Hopefully a little time in the fridge will take care of them.

Cheers!

Our Dunkles foam up every time we open them. Just open them in the sink, and let them do their thing. After this is all done, they taste great! Probably good for the immune system too, never can be too strong.

More than likely it gushed becsuee it was at room temp NOT because there is anything wrong with it...cold temps help to absorb co2 into solution....There's really no point in opening a warm beer anyway....

I would take all but a couple out of the fridge...cool those two down for a couple, 3 days to make sure the beer is carbed AND CONDITIONED...If the beer is still green the fridge won't help the yeast will go dormant...so I would pull all but a couple out of the fridge let those 2 cool for at least 48 hours...If they don't gush (which more than likely they won't) and they taste where you want it then put only the beer back in the fridge you plan on drinking.....ans chill them down e good amount of time before opening them.

I would be surprised if newly carbed BUT WARM beer didn't gush when you opened it.

I feel like there is still hope.

There's plenty of hope. As Revvy said, warm, young beer will often times gush. It's not an infection. I open warm beers to get a feel for how close a recently bottled batch is to being ready to drink. I don't refrigerate until I'm confident that carbing/conditioning is complete. Like I said, I opened an IPA (double IPA really) tonight and had a gusher, even after six weeks, but one that was in the refer didn't gush. Your good my friend.

RDWHAHB :tank:

Back