Dry hopping in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portlandbeergeek

Reaction score
Can i dry hop in the bottle? I've read here about people dry hopping their kegs, thought perhaps i could drop a pinch of hops (not pellets) into the bottle. The finished beer won't be around for much longer than two months. I bottle in 750ml champagne bottles.

It doesn't seem like a great idea to me. What's wrong with dry-hopping in your secondary? If you dry-hop in the bottle, you're going to have to use a sieve when you pour your beer. I'm also uncertain about how great it is to have the hops in the beer for that long of a period of time.

In theory it'll work since the hops will get waterlogged and sink to the bottom. I think jmulligan is right though, you'll most likely end up getting the leaf hops into your glass when you pour. Sometimes after dryhopping too long (say, for a month or more) a grassy flavor can develop. Something else to consider is inconsistant dryhopping. One bottle may taste wonderful while another won't have enough aroma.

Not a good idea. Beer-soaked hops are nasty looking things and if you strain on the pour you lose the carbonation.

Back