Ferm Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mully911

Reaction score
Hey all
I have a 10gal batch of belgain wit in the fermentor for 1 wk know and it is doing well. OG was 1.054 and is down to 1.016 and still dropping.:cross: My Q is im going on vac for a week starting saturday. Will it hurt it if it's in the ferm for a total of 3 wks? I can dump some trub out the bottom port.
what do ya think?

i would move it to a secondary fermenter the day before you go on vacation and then it will be fine for 3 weeks.

It sounds like you're working out of a conical. If so, then yeah, just dump some of the trub out and let it chill out. If not then racking to a secondary and letting it clear out a bit is probably your best bet.

Yes I have a ferminator conical fermentor. It has a bottom dump for dumping trub.
So I will just dump the sediment and dead yeast on the bottom and let it set another week then. This is the same as racking to a secondary right?

Well you have dropped so much of your gravity that I'd say go ahead and dump off the trub right before you leave. If you can't though, three weeks shouldn't be a problem. Some folks might contest that, but I have done it and it was perfectly fine.

You need to be a supporting member. There's a sticky at the top of one of the forums (introductions I think) that has more info.

Back