PM "extra" IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdMerican

Reaction score
After finding and trying Lagunitas Hop Stoopid, I loved it, but wanted something even hoppier. And just a touch different. I also am a HUGE fan of the the SN Torpedo, which they have dubbed an "extra" ipa. I thought about hops to use and this and that and decided I wanted something a bit pinier than the Hop Stoopid, and a little more on the IBUS with a similar citrus profile as the Torpedo. I wanted a beer that I could really only want to drink one or two of, then move on to something a bit lighter. So I formulated something of a recipe that I call 2 Ed's (my brewery) "Malevolence Extra IIPA". I can only mash about 12 lbs of grain with the help of DeathBrewer's fantabulous tutorial, so it turned into a partial mash brew. I got everything I didn't have on hand ordered and waited patiently for my grains and hops to arrive. The recipe went something like this...

10# American 2 row
1# 60L
1# Victory Malt
3# Light DME late addition

1oz Warrior 60 min
2oz Warrior 30 min
2oz Warrior 20 min
2oz Warrior 10 min
1oz Citra at "flameout" (on an electric stove)
to be dryhopped with 1 oz of warrior and 1 oz of citra for 4-7 days after 1 week in secondary (i know... no one secondaries anymore... but i do) And another oz of citra dryhop on the third week in secondary for an additional 4-7 days.

AND of course, the coup de gras fermented with the busy little yeastie beasts so lovingly referred to as "Notty"... and that sunamabitch WHISTLED for a few days... there was no quiet burbling about it.

QBrew (yeah, I'm a cheap bastard, and it's free) puts it at 158 IBUs, target OG 1.083, and estimated FG at 1.021 for a total of 8.1% ABV

Sounded like it could be a winner to me. Not quite in any particular style guidelines, mind you... but I brew beer for me. And occasionally SWMBO. Enter brewday! I get all my stuff gathered and layed out and, E GADS MAN! I unwittingly used some of my DME stash in another brew... I THOUGHT i had at least 3 lbs of the stuff laying around, but it turned out I only had 1.7 lbs. I did, however have a couple lbs of Midwest gold LME from a previous steam beer batch leftover and water was heating and hop bags were opened and hops divvied... what can it hurt? so substitute 3 lbs of light DME for 1.7 lbs light DME and 2 lbs Midwest Gold LME. Mashed for 90 minutes due to some temperature issues, teabag sparge in 3.5 gallons of 170f water for 10 minutes, boil, cool, check gravity and pitch. Hit the number dead on :rockin: After a week in primary I rack to secondary and take another reading. Holy attenuation Batman! My gravity was @ 1.010. That takes it up a percent in ABV from the estimate. Thats ok... So I drink the sample and realize something of a conundrum. Its not just good, its REALLY good and its something I could definitely drink WAY more than one or two of and perhaps find myself in a LOT of trouble after drinking more than a few... hoping the dry hop will rowdy it up a bit to take down the excessive consumption rate that is sure to follow. Will keep those interested posted on the progress.

Slainte :mug:

Ok, not that anyone cares, obviously... But it's damn good. Not quite as hoppy as I had intended actually, but it is a definite hop bomb. Nice mellow alcohol warmth reminiscent of an old smooth bourbon. Gave it a lower carb than most brews... not sure on volumes, but I used 3 and a half ounces of priming sugar instead of the typical 5. Pretty good hop nose, pine up front followed by warm booze, moving on to malty backbone from the victory, finishing with light grapefruit and something I can't quite put my finger on... almost oaky somehow, though there was no oak added. I think its pretty damn good.

I think I figured out what the mystery finish flavor is... I believe it to be apple peel. An ever so slight hint. Not real sure where that's coming from, perhaps the super fast fermentation of the notty. It may go away eventually, but I hope not. Its quite pleasant.

Sounds good. Just added 1 oz each of three different hops to the secondary of my Firestone Double Jack clone and things are going well. It will be interesting to compare this beer at about 120 IBU with my favorite IPA of using just 1 hop (Chinook) to about 110 IBU.

Good luck with your brew.

Last week I picked up a 4 pack of Boulevard's Doublewide IPA. Turns out I got the clone recipe down before I even tasted it. That or the folks at Boulevard are members here or troll for new recipes...

This looks right up my alley!!! i've been wanting to do a double ipa for awhile and came up with a recipe similar to this but I love the fact that your using Warrior hops the most!!! in mine i'm gonna use 1.5 oz warrior and 1.5 oz of magnum continuously hopped, then throw in about 2oz Amarillo for the last few mins of the boil, and then probably dry hop or make a hop tea with extra Amarillo.

Hope it turns out well for ya. I was hoping to brew something that I would only want to drink a couple of and then move on to something else. Turned out I liked it too much to do so, and it didn't last very long :( And I didn't share much of this one :drunk:

I have a feeling the same will happen with me!! and the best part is that most of my friends can barely handle a pale ale, so i know they won't be getting much of this one!!

Ed,

You say this turned out like Double Wide? I'm looking for a recipe with a flavor like the Double Wide. Love it! Look forward to more updates...

Taco :D

It is almost dead on. And dangerous. Super super drinkable and delicious and rather high octane. It was a big hit with everyone I know that likes hoppy beer. I don't brew it very often because of its danger level. I didn't try to make a clone. Just a bigger ipa and hadn't even had the Doublewide until after the batch was almost gone. And it was the same. And it was good. :)

Back