Daaaas Boot Challenge!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffManMississippi

Reaction score
OK so i know what your thinking .... DAAAASS Boot?? First off have you seen Beer Fest? If not stop were you are , go out and rent this movie its funny as all get out and plays a vital part to the challenge.

So now thats outta the way I challenge anyone to defeat my record for DAAAAAS BOOOOOOOT! I have completed 3 not 1 not 2 but 3 complete Das Boots in under 2 1/2 hours and held my own, not to mention 2 keg stands and some southern comfort but we cant all get sh*t faced and go into beast mode. So if you can do it and you think your worthy of being one of the elite. Drink your boots and eat your veggies because to attempt to break the record your going to have to drink 6 liters of beer. The standard boot found online is 2liters just like the Coca-Cola bottle so if you dont have a boot lol then you know what to do.

lol just take pictures and share them with us on http://brudat.webs.com/ we would appreciate it.

It is odd that das boot is a familiar phrase to Americans primarily because of a certain movie (and apparently secondarily because of the aforementioned different movie which I have not seen) and yet people can't seem to figure out that it doesn't mean the boot.

It is odd that das boot is a familiar phrase to Americans primarily because of a certain movie (and apparently secondarily because of the aforementioned different movie which I have not seen) and yet people can't seem to figure out that it doesn't mean the boot.

The first movie was a huge hit (I'm pretty sure it's still in the top-5 grossing foreign language films in the USA in all of history), and made people associate "Das Boot" with "the boat"; nobody who's seen it thinks of "the boot". It was also one of the most important movies in any language in terms of sound engineering.

The second (aforementioned different) movie was a lesser hit, but a huge hit in the beer-drinking sub-portion of society, and used "Das Boot" to mean "the glass boot" that you drink beer out of--though it had a pretty significant submarine scene as a nod to the first movie.

It was also a lot more recent, so anyone under about 30 years old is much more likely to have seen it than the first movie. But Beerfest made it clear that Das Boot means "the boat" with those sub scenes. You'd have to be pretty drunk or high when watching it not to pick up on that (even as a monolingual American). I assume that "Das Boot" as a reference is usually an ironic nod to the climactic scene, not simple ignorance.

If you were only right...unfortunately, it's still about ignorance...:mad:

Too many Americans (the ugly ones) don't think twice about butchering another country's words and traditions for their own means, even for humor.

"Das Boot" means the boat. In this case it was a U-boot (Unterwasser boot/Underwater boat, or what we call a "submarine").

The drinking "boot" is actually called a "Seidl" or "Seidel", both pronounce sigh-del) depending on country and dialect.

Correctly, it's called "das Seidl".

And to the younger people...Jagermeister is not a drink to be chugged at the bar. It's an after dinner drink that aids in digesting your meal.

As someone who lived in Germany for 9 years (and have visited there another 4-5 times on vacation) I've learned to appreciate all they had to offer.
Prost! :mug:

"Das Boot" means the boat. In this case it was a U-boot (Unterwasser boot/Underwater boat, or what we call a "submarine").

Yeah, that's well-known and Beerfest makes an obvious reference to it with their own submarine scene long before the climactic drinking "boot" scene.

The drinking "boot" is actually called a "Seidl" or "Seidel", both pronounce sigh-del) depending on country and dialect.

Yep, but in English it's an obvious pun that's reasonably exploited for comedy.

The whole joke in Beerfest doesn't make any sense if you don't know that "Das Boot" means "the boat". They wouldn't have used it as a joke if Wolfgang Petersen hadn't hugely popularized it to the point that most viewers understand it--without that understanding, it isn't really a joke.

And we're talking about a director who's hugely popular in the US--In the Line of Fire, the Perfect Storm, Air Force One, Outbreak, and a bunch of other movies have grossed hundreds and hundreds of millions. It's not like some unknown foreign filmmaker--for better or worse, his works are probably better known among modern US audiences than Wim Winders, Ingmar Bergman, Francois Truffaut, Jean Pierre Jeunet, and 4-5 other great foreign directors _combined_.

If you want to get really technical a Seidel would be a dimpled/handled glass. At least according to my German mother-in-law. She calls the boot a "Stiefel Glas."

I stand corrected...I am drinking out of a seidl right now. Your MIL is correct and I used the wrong word. Mea culpa...

SummerH, the meaning behind the thought still stand. And yes, I've seen the movie...it is funny, but not humorous in my boot, I mean book. Too many stereotypical exaggerations grasping for a laugh. Ja, das ist funny...nicht!

That was one of the first things she said when she saw our current place and I had all my glassware on display... "No Stiefel?" I had to rack my brain back to high school to figure out what she was saying.

Too many Americans (the ugly ones) don't think twice about butchering another country's words and traditions for their own means, even for humor.

And to the younger people...Jagermeister is not a drink to be chugged at the bar. It's an after dinner drink that aids in digesting your meal.

As someone who lived in Germany for 9 years (and have visited there another 4-5 times on vacation) I've learned to appreciate all they had to offer.
Prost! :mug:

I love Das Boot, as for the rest I couldnt agree more, except I thought a boot was a "Stiefel", I could be incorrect, its been years since any German was correctly uttered by this guy (I think I asked a chick at a bar to get in my lap with her underwear in her hand :drunk:) as for the Jager, I am 100% in agreement. I cannot enjoy tossing back a shot of it, but as a digestif, it is quite nice after a big meal with family and friends.

OK so i know what your thinking .... DAAAASS Boot?? First off have you seen Beer Fest? If not stop were you are , go out and rent this movie its funny as all get out and plays a vital part to the challenge.

So now thats outta the way I challenge anyone to defeat my record for DAAAAAS BOOOOOOOT! I have completed 3 not 1 not 2 but 3 complete Das Boots in under 2 1/2 hours and held my own, not to mention 2 keg stands and some southern comfort but we cant all get sh*t faced and go into beast mode. So if you can do it and you think your worthy of being one of the elite. Drink your boots and eat your veggies because to attempt to break the record your going to have to drink 6 liters of beer. The standard boot found online is 2liters just like the Coca-Cola bottle so if you dont have a boot lol then you know what to do.

lol just take pictures and share them with us on http://brudat.webs.com/ we would appreciate it.

So you're saying that you're cool because you drank 6 liters of beer? Frats are cool, bro.

I know plenty of Mexicans/Europeans/Indians(red dot not feather)/Canadians that will "butcher" American words and traditions for their own means. I think thats funny. Its IS call humor....see what I mean?

I enjoy black stand up comedians and they make fun of white people all the time (I am white) and that is some funny stuff.....why is that so bad?

They gave props the "Das Boot" in beer fest. What more do you want.

RDWHAHB

BeerFest is a great movie.

To add to the whole "Das Boot = The Boot" mis-translation:

In Austin Powers: Goldmember, Dr. Evil (while in his submarine) makes a reference to "Das Boot" and states "which means, 'The Boot.'"

All for humor. Those are comedys. Das Boot is not.

Besides it's easy to drink from the boot when it's full of Bud 55...... I'll have a pepsi, please.

I thought this was Amer'ca? We make our own damn language. It's called Amer'ca-ism. German boat = American Boot. :tank: ;)

edit: Yeah, I'm druck. What's it to you? San Dimas High School Footballs RULES!!!

I thought this was Amer'ca? We make our own damn language. It's called Amer'ca-ism. German boat = American Boot. :tank: ;)

edit: Yeah, I'm druck. What's it to you? San Dimas High School Footballs RULES!!!

You owe me a new keyboard and a new glass of tripel.

You owe me a new keyboard and a new glass of tripel.

Ditto! I seriously spit that time! :rockin:

And it took me a few days to find the proper German Language, American Subtitle version (Directors Cut) of Das Boot way back. I seriously need to watch that movie again.

Beer Fest? Not so much. (also I just saw it again recently).

IMO that was one of Petersen's best movies.

I have a great story about this. Last year I threw a party at my appartment when I lived on my own. It was a beer fest... literally. We had quarters, circle of death, darts, flip cup (thats where das boot) comes in, and beer pong. Literally a beer olympics. We got down to the final round we had two boots. We played flip cup and the last person on each team had the boot. My friend dave (big guy) picked up the boot chugged it so fast he turned around and barfed all over his team... LOL was hilarious. I made him clean it all up btw...:drunk:

Lighten up Francis. It was a joke. Now everyone’s going to tell me that San Diego doesn’t mean whales vagina.

I have a great story about this. Last year I threw a party at my appartment when I lived on my own. It was a beer fest... literally. We had quarters, circle of death, darts, flip cup (thats where das boot) comes in, and beer pong. Literally a beer olympics. We got down to the final round we had two boots. We played flip cup and the last person on each team had the boot. My friend dave (big guy) picked up the boot chugged it so fast he turned around and barfed all over his team... LOL was hilarious. I made him clean it all up btw...:drunk:

Stay classy. ;)

And in Canada "ham" is called "bacon"! It's crazy. Yeah, yeah, different cuts of meat/curing process make Canadian Bacon a Bacon subspecies. That doesn't change the fact that it still looks and kinda tastes like ham.

Boot, means "boat". And in the UK it also refers to the trunk of a car. And football makes more sense than football as we know it in the US.

I really don't see the harm in having fun with language, other than taking comedy way to seriously.

If you really want a linguistic brain teaser. This the Estonian translation for "twelve months" is "kaksteist kuud". Say aloud. It's funny. Also look it up on youtube to hear it spoken by a couple of buxom Estonian gals. When I saw that on G4, I went and looked it up on my own out of disbelief as I wanted to see it in text.

So there exist comedy in all languages to the English speaker, and vice versa.

And in Canada "ham" is called "bacon"!

I asked a friend in Toronto why they called ham bacon and he was confused. Apparently they don't even know about that (silly Canadians). That's where I learned it was called peameal bacon, or back bacon, which I wouldn't think would be allowed, neither of those named containing extra u's.

This is a amazing story.

I'm from Buffalo, work at the university Rapaport does, have used his restaurant guide and still have no idea how that works. It's like calculus and macroeconomics: people tell me it works, and I believe them.

wow so not one reply from anyone saying they were going to take my record...... its so hard to be the king of the south!

Are you serious? I think you need to grow up a little. You're bragging about how much beer and SoCo you can chug?

To be honest I'm a little embarrassed for you.

The name of your brew club is "brew dat"? And the very first sentence on your page is "Now that you've taken the first step in becoming an uber-alcoholic"?

You know, there is a hell of a lot more to home brewing that "becoming an uber alcoholic"...

First the beer fest reference if funny, it's the same actor. Jürgen Prochnow probably his best known roll for us North American's and they do the submarine bit. Hillarious!

Second I'm Canadian. Ham is Ham a cut of meat usually the thigh or butt of the pig, Bacon is bacon the belly meat of the pig. Canadian bacon/peameal bacon/Back bacon is pork loin brined and rolled in cornmeal (or originally ground yellow pea, but i've never had that before) It's cut thin and fried, then usually served on a nice squishy bun. Yummmy!
So we don't call ham bacon, we call bacon bacon, and ham ham. But back bacon is another thing all together.

First the beer fest reference if funny, it's the same actor. Jürgen Prochnow probably his best known roll for us North American's and they do the submarine bit. Hillarious!

Second I'm Canadian. Ham is Ham a cut of meat usually the thigh or butt of the pig, Bacon is bacon the belly meat of the pig. Canadian bacon/peameal bacon/Back bacon is pork loin brined and rolled in cornmeal (or originally ground yellow pea, but i've never had that before) It's cut thin and fried, then usually served on a nice squishy bun. Yummmy!
So we don't call ham bacon, we call bacon bacon, and ham ham. But back bacon is another thing all together.

What Canadian Bacon is a myth? If ham and bacon are just that. The Canadian Bacon you describe sounds very much akin to the way pork tenderloin is commonly served here, in the Midwest anyway. Then am I truly just eating ham that's mistakenly labeled as "Canadian Bacon"?

EVERYTHING HAS BEEN A LIE!!!:eek:

Das Boot is the only movie that I have felt bad for the Germans or was rooting for them.

So really? that's how you normally have pork loin in the midwest?

To make back bacon Pork loin is usually Pickeled or brined for about a week, then rolled in cornmeal, then cut into thin slices and pan fried

Normally when we eat pork loin I buy at Costco I would normally cut 3/4 inch thick pork loin chops or a pork loin roast when we eat it for dinner, but backbacon is a almost always on a bun for breakfast, brunch, or lunch.

What Canadian Bacon is a myth? If ham and bacon are just that. The Canadian Bacon you describe sounds very much akin to the way pork tenderloin is commonly served here, in the Midwest anyway. Then am I truly just eating ham that's mistakenly labeled as "Canadian Bacon"?

EVERYTHING HAS BEEN A LIE!!!:eek:

Back