Gypsum for my IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorryWort

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm making an IPA, and typically, I find the bitterness of my ales doesn't poke through quite enough. I want to add Gyspum to the boil to bring out the hop character, but I don't know what amount I should be striving for?

Does anybody know an ideal range for Sulphate levels?

In case it matters - I live in Vancouver BC. Our water is pretty low in minerals. I have a water analysis, and I don't typically change much or add salts to the mash. My water's Sulphate content is about .9 mg/L. I use 5.2 to hit my pH and so far so good.

Thanks

For English IPA's I follow Terry Fosters advice in Pale Ales. Ca = 100 - 150 ppm, SO4 = 200 - 300 ppm, Cl = 30 ppm, and have been very happy with the results. For American IPA's he recommends Ca 100 ppm, SO4 200 ppm, Cl 30 ppm.

-a.

Hi,

I'm making an IPA, and typically, I find the bitterness of my ales doesn't poke through quite enough. I want to add Gyspum to the boil to bring out the hop character, but I don't know what amount I should be striving for?

Does anybody know an ideal range for Sulphate levels?

In case it matters - I live in Vancouver BC. Our water is pretty low in minerals. I have a water analysis, and I don't typically change much or add salts to the mash. My water's Sulphate content is about .9 mg/L. I use 5.2 to hit my pH and so far so good.

Thanks

Hey WorryWort

I also live in Vancouver, BC. would you mind sharing your water analysis for the cities water? Its likely changed in the past few years but it would be nice to get a ballpark of where our water stands

Hey WorryWort

I also live in Vancouver, BC. would you mind sharing your water analysis for the cities water? Its likely changed in the past few years but it would be nice to get a ballpark of where our water stands

The 2011 summarized report can be found here (pdf).

Back