Experimental Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
OK so I recultured a yeast from 6 Duvel bottles to make a Duvel clone. However I had very poor sanitation practices while making the starter. This may be due to drinking several of the Duvels. Anyway, so my starter is obviously moldy and gross but still active. So when I make my all grain Duvel Clone I just used Wyesat 1388 and all was well.

But I still don't want to throw out that starter and I had some old Hallertau lying around so I spent 15 bucks on a can of malt extract and decided to experiment.

Malts:
6 LBS Liquid Malt Extract
2 LBs Cane Sugar

Hops:
3oz Hallertau 60 minutes
1oz Hallertau 15 minutes

Yeast:
Moldy 64oz Duvel Starter.

Anyone want to guess how this is going to turn out? Maybe after a year or two in the bottle it will be drinkable?

wait a minute- you were drinking the duvels right out of the bottle?

Even if you weren't, the preferred method is to heat the opening of the bottle with a lighter and let it cool to get rid of any bugs on it, before adding some clean water to get out the dregs.

wait a minute- you were drinking the duvels right out of the bottle?

Even if you weren't, the preferred method is to heat the opening of the bottle with a lighter and let it cool to get rid of any bugs on it, before adding some clean water to get out the dregs.

I wasn't drinking it straight from the bottle. I poured them into glasses but forgot to sanitize the bottle openings when pouring the yeast into the sanitized starter. That's what the problem was. So far everything looks fine though.....

As a follow up. This beer wasn't mold at all. It fermented out great. My grandma is visiting from out of town in a month or so & she likes sweet fruity beers. So I added some raspberry extract and will make this a raspberry belgian ale. It should be good and for unknown reasons a moldy starter into fresh wort did not turn into a moldy beer!!

cheers

Mike

You are going to try it first right??? You aren't going to give Grandma the first bottle of your poison........

Back