When to replace hoses and stuff...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How many brews do you use your auto-siphon and hoses before you replace them? I just kegged a batch and noticed that my siphon's inner tube has a little crud on it. I ran sanitizer through it for a while but it didn't get rid of it. I still kegged the batch but...

Good question, I have some that have been in service for a few years. My rule of thumb is if soaking in starsan for 15 min doesn't clean it, toss it. Siphon hose is cheap.

I haven't changed them in years, but I clean them well after each use.
A good soak in oxi-clean followed by a good rinse should get rid of any crud.

-a.

I clean mine using light gauge jumper wire with pipe cleaner(s) attached to one end after a little soaking in
oxy-clean. I dip the pipe cleaner(s) in a solution of oxy-clean and pull it thur the tubing. It works great!

Mine is discolored and it looks like it has some stuff on it inside, but I think that is the cleaner and sanitizer buildup.

After I transfer anything and go to clean out, I mix a gallon or two of cleaner and use the hose to transfer from the bucket to the sink or wherever I need to clean the rest of the stuff. Then after I use the hose to transfer all the cleaner, I use it to transfer the sanitizer. After that I empty the hose and let it dry out.

I usually change out all my tubing every 4 or 5 batches. It's cheap and it doesn't make sense to me to try and save $1.50 of tubing and risk ruining a batch of beer.

I do the soaking in oxi, running hot water through it to clean the **** out of it. Then on brew day i siphon some starsan water through it and everything is good. It looks messy on the inside, but its clean and good enough for beer to be ran through it.

I seem to have a little crud on the inside tube of my auto siphon. I can't really get in there. I keep rinsing but it's still there. I've never noticed it before. I've used it on over 30 batches..

Back