Tasting / Judging Beer - How to

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noisy123

Reaction score
I know, you drink it and like it or don't.

I was hoping for some pointers (or maybe even a sticky in this forum) about how to taste the beer we just made. I did a search and came up with a scattered set of topics. The process isn't as intuitive as it seems (especially when terms like attenuation come up). Any help would be really appreciated.

Does anyone know of a pre-made beer tasting/comment card? Most of the people that usually try my brews are the BMC type and dont have much of a beer palate. I was thinking if I had a little card or something along those lines with questions about the brew I could get better constructive critisim from them.

Does anyone know of a pre-made beer tasting/comment card? Most of the people that usually try my brews are the BMC type and dont have much of a beer palate. I was thinking if I had a little card or something along those lines with questions about the brew I could get better constructive critisim from them.

It might be a little too advanced for the BMC type, but I am sure you can use it as a starting point. The BJCP Scoresheet: http://www.bjcp.org/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf

Other than that I wasn't able to find anything.

I was looking at some great info yesterday while trying to find out how to get bjcp certified...

There is some great info that can translate into analysing your own beers.

This Zymurgy article for instance http://www.bjcp.org/Zymurgy_judge_article.pdf

There's a lot more stuff here as well.

http://www.bjcp.org/sitemap.html

Neener neener. I just got the wife's blessing to spend every Thursday night from September 18th through December 4th prepping for the BJCP with Peter Zien, head of Alesmith Brewing and San Diego's only grandmaster level judge.
(the term grandmaster always makes me think 80's hip hop or the KKK)
At the end of the course he will administer the exam also.

Neener neener. I just got the wife's blessing to spend every Thursday night from September 18th through December 4th prepping for the BJCP with Peter Zien, head of Alesmith Brewing and San Diego's only grandmaster level judge.

COOL!!!!

That's what I'm trying to find, someone local to mentor me, rather than just working through the material on my own...A class would be cool, with a bunch of other people, but I doubt there's any going on in Michigan.

COOL!!!!

That's what I'm trying to find, someone local to mentor me, rather than just working through the material on my own...A class would be cool, with a bunch of other people, but I doubt there's any going on in Michigan.

I suspect there are some going on in Michigan or will be soon. I think there was an exam in the last month or two, but I'm sure there will be another one sometime in the next year. I believe Fred Bonjour was the exam organizer, you might want to contact him to see if he knows of any study groups going on or when the next exam will be.

I'd also check with any local clubs to see if there is any interest. If you've got 6-12 dedicated people you can startup a study group.

Isn't he Grand Master Level 2? I think he is one of only a few in the country.

I suspect there are some going on in Michigan or will be soon. I think there was an exam in the last month or two, but I'm sure there will be another one sometime in the next year. I believe Fred Bonjour was the exam organizer, you might want to contact him to see if he knows of any study groups going on or when the next exam will be.

I'd also check with any local clubs to see if there is any interest. If you've got 6-12 dedicated people you can startup a study group.

+1 on the clubs. The club I am in has classes for those interested. Lots of the guys are certified, and one of them is a pro brewer, who gives the BJCP test at his brewery.

A lady working at the local VFW was goign to put on a tasting "class" this past April, but because of changing jobs, and low advertisement and sign-up, it was cancelled. I'm hoping she will do one this fall.

I don't see how you can honestly get a good idea about tasting from a book or webpage. I think you have to actually "taste" to understand, personally.

Latest posts

Back