Let's Go! Help me design the Adonis of Home Brewery Mash Tuns! The "Dream Tun"!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
I've got a 20g system that isn't really a 20g system. I have the standard rubbermaid 10g cooler mash tun setup. Aye, she's done a fine job, but it's time for a bigger mash tun, and to bring up the efficiency! The rubbermaid workhorse averaged between 68-75%, which I thought was pretty good. I've been teaching myself to weld, solder, and design systems using google sketchup (love it)...and want a superior product. Something that you would want in your own home...because if I enjoy the fabrication aspects, I'll probably start making and selling the mash tuns and probably fermenters too.

So here's the deal. I want every cool feature you guys can think of that will help make a mash tun easier to use, more efficient, easy to clean, more consistent, and all round awesome. I want Sam Calagione to look at my mash tun and drool. :ban:

So we're looking at a 20g size (or bigger). I'm working on the electric brewery control panel now, so if it has any electric components, we can incorporate that into the control panel.

Some ideas for the design:
1) 15 degree sloped bottom. After visiting a brewery, I noticed their mash tun had a conical bottom. Not to the extent of a ferm tank at 45 or 60 degrees, but sloped towards the bottom at about 15 degrees. They claim that this created a suction like pull on the grain bed as the wort was pulled off an increased efficiency.

2) Port hole - this thing will probably be heavy, so we'll have to include a custom port hole - which should also make the clean out easier.

3) Multiple sparging methods - I want to be able to fly, batch, etc.

4) Rims or Herms, Herms or Rims? I'm open to suggestions. Whatever it is, it will be automatic and programmable.

5) Integrated Mash paddle & water wheel combo that spins - ok, so this is probably for more of the bling factor than anything else, but think it could help some with the efficiency. That means a big beefy motor with a lot of torque to move those grains for thicker mashes.

6) Full stainless....stainless eerrrrrthannnngggg!
What else would you guys add to your dream tun?

I like it.

do you need the mash paddle, if you're recirculating?

I'm a sensor geek (probably because it's also my job), but I would love to figure out how to determine how much liquid you've added to the mash. That could just mean a level sensor in the HLT, I suppose.

Aye, that's a great idea! Maybe integrate it into the control panel where you input a certain number of gallons...like 5, then it activates the pump when the strike water has hit a certain temperature, and inputs a particular volume. (I'm a sensor geek too)

Look at Stout tanks. 500 bucks for a 20 gallon bottom outlet mash tun. It looks like they manufacture equipment with all the "bling". Might get some ideas from the website.

That could just mean a level sensor in the HLT, I suppose.

Why not just use something like a 1" flow sensor like the water companies use to measure the amount of water your house uses... They're not cheap (300 or so) for something that would measure any temperature water.

As far as the sensor geek thing. I'm picturing temperature and Ph probes everywhere... Collect enough data with each batch to make the the NSA jealous. That way you can fine tune everything and bring up not only your brewhouse efficiency, but also your energy efficiency.

Also. Subscribed. Make this a project that will get you a cover story in zymurgy.

Working on the design right now in sketchup :) I'll post the design once it's done for further suggestions

Back