Oetiker clamp users?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakelyc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks:

Does anyone out there have a serious preference for oetiker clamps? I was thinking about using them on my new system build. Anyone happen to know the best all-around side for 1/2" i.d. tube on tri clover hose barbs? I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of sizes..... My google is weak tonight.

I seem to buy the wrong size of everything, so I took a piece of tubing to the pex section in home depot, and picked up the right size. The pex are much thicker, overkill, but they work the same.

I do prefer them over everything else. Once snug, they don't leak.

Which clamp you need will depend on the thickness of your tubing and the diameter of the hose barb.

I started with the ones that Lowes has for PEX tubing and found that they weren't quite big enough for my parts. It took some searching to find the next step up on ebay. The next size up for PEX was too big.

Once I found the right size, I have been very pleased with them.

Edit:
It is the 13/16" size that I am using.
also know as: 21.0-706R - 21 mm max OD x 7 mm wide x .06 mm thick
size range: 17.8 to 21.0 mm, O.D. Tubing

My hose barb may be larger than yours.

You really want to go by the O.D. of your tubing. I use that then find the largest clamp that has a closed dimension lower than that on this handy chart.

For others coming to this thread looking for standard otiker clamp sizes for beer use:
3/16" I.D. beverage tubing 7/16" O.D. (the 5/16" O.D. is garbage don't buy it) - 13.3
3/16" I.D. beverage tubing on a 1/4" barb - 13.3

5/16" I.D. gas tubing, 9/16" O.D. on a 5/16" barb - 15.7
5/16" I.D. gas tubing on a 3/8" barb (air distributor input) - 17.0

You can get them from McMaster-Carr too. There you'll see them listed for the range of hose OD they're good for. I would just get stainless so that you have zero issue with moisture. You'll want to get the "Clamps with Tongue and Groove" version.

If you can find another source/supplier with a better price for the same item, get it from them. Just be sure that they are stainless steel. The ones sold by McMaster-Carr are 304 stainless.

I've been using Oetiker clamps for some time now. I've managed to pick up a few different crimping tools along the way. Depending on where I'm clamping is which I'll use.

Both Oetiker and Murray make stainless cinch clamps for pex or other applications, and they function identically. In fact I can't believe they are not in patent wars. Identical, no, but near enough as makes no difference and conform to the same standard.

The Murray clamps from HD are thicker than the oetiker I have. Get whichever is cheaper. The ones on my beer line say 13.3

For 1/2" ID silicone tube (7/8" OD) you'll want to use McMaster part 52545k28 ( has 7/8" in the range it clamps). Will probably be stamped 24.1 on the band (the largest mm size it's good for).

The ones for 3/16" ID beer lines are 52545k51. Which are marked 13.3 on the band.

I've had solid results from the one sold by Keg Connection as well as McMaster-Carr. I've not picked any up from a big box store since I've never seen any stainless clamps there (in the style) that were a better price than I can get online (even after shipping).

These guys had about the best price I found for Oetiker clamps: http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/oetikersteplessearclamps.aspx

I like them for tubing mounts that are (fairly) permanent. Lower profile, no sharp end sticking out to watch for when I'm pulling a Cornie keg quick disconnect. When I've had to remove them, I insert something under the exposed end and just pry it up.

The clamps for PEX (at least the ones I've found at Lowe's) are not the size marked on the bag - I think the marked size must refer to the diameter (ID?) of the PEX line. Here's the dimensions of the ones at my local Lowe's.

Bag label - # stamped on clamp (mm) - actual inch equiv. of mm
--------------------------------------------------------------
3/8 " - 13.3 = 0.524 "
1/2 " - 17.5 = 0.689 "
3/4 " - 23.3 = 0.917 "

For 1/2" ID silicone tube (7/8" OD) you'll want to use McMaster part 52545k28 ( has 7/8" in the range it clamps). Will probably be stamped 24.1 on the band (the largest mm size it's good for).

Golddiggie, do you have an extra thick wall tubing, or is it stretched over a 1/2" ID hose barb?

My 1/2" ID silicone tube has an 1/8" wall thickness, nominally a 3/4" OD. On my barbed fitting (3/8" ID - ~1/2" OD) it measures .795" - solidly middle of the range for a size 21 clamp, but too big for the commonly available for PEX size 17.5, and too small for the commonly available for PEX size 23.3.

My point is, to the OP, you need to know the OD of the tubing you will use when it is on your fitting.

I have used some of the PEX clamps on lines that are too small for the clamp by wrapping the line with several (about 8, if I recall correctly) layers of heavy duty (pink) teflon tape to increase its OD. It's working fine, so far.

Golddiggie, do you have an extra thick wall tubing, or is it stretched over a 1/2" ID hose barb?

My 1/2" ID silicone tube has an 1/8" wall thickness, nominally a 3/4" OD. On my barbed fitting (3/8" ID - ~1/2" OD) it measures .795" - solidly middle of the range for a size 21 clamp, but too big for the commonly available for PEX size 17.5, and too small for the commonly available for PEX size 23.3.

My point is, to the OP, you need to know the OD of the tubing you will use when it is on your fitting.

I picked up the correct clamp for the larger barbs I have. You just need to look at the range they clamp, and match it up with the tubing (and barbs/fittings) you'll be using them on.

I have used some of the PEX clamps on lines that are too small for the clamp by wrapping the line with several (about 8, if I recall correctly) layers of heavy duty (pink) teflon tape to increase its OD. It's working fine, so far.

IMO, that's a 'band-aid' solution. While it might work for a while, I wouldn't do that with anything that has even a few pounds of pressure in it. Far better to simply get the correct size range clamp. The 13.3 ones work for 3/16" Bevlex (on 1/4" barbs). The 15.x (forget what the last digit is) works for 5/16" ID gas (red) tubing (on 5/16" barbs).

IMO, that's a 'band-aid' solution. While it might work for a while, I wouldn't do that with anything that has even a few pounds of pressure in it. Far better to simply get the correct size range clamp. The 13.3 ones work for 3/16" Bevlex (on 1/4" barbs). The 15.x (forget what the last digit is) works for 5/16" ID gas (red) tubing (on 5/16" barbs).

Of course there is always an element of risk anytime you do something in a non-standard or non-approved manner, and I should point out that the lines I used this method on are not under constant pressure - just on my counter pressure filler. I was in a situation where I couldn't find the correct size clamps locally and didn't want to wait for delivery. After a year (intermittent use) and pressure up to 14 PSI on both gas and liquid lines, the clamps are still tight and there has been no leakage. It doesn't look real pretty, but works.

Of course there is always an element of risk anytime you do something in a non-standard or non-approved manner, and I should point out that the lines I used this method on are not under constant pressure - just on my counter pressure filler. I was in a situation where I couldn't find the correct size clamps locally and didn't want to wait for delivery. After a year (intermittent use) and pressure up to 14 PSI on both gas and liquid lines, the clamps are still tight and there has been no leakage. It doesn't look real pretty, but works.

I was always taught to use the right tool for the job. There are some things I'll make myself, or modify to work better, but it's always in a 100% safe fashion. If there's any risk (at all) of failure, I do what it takes to make it not so. First time I used the larger ID barb fittings on the silicone tubing/hoses, the clamps wouldn't crimp down as far as I wanted. They held, but I was concerned. So I ordered up a bag of the next size up. Changed them over before the next brew day and had no issue.

While it sounds like what you did works, I'd change them over at some point. Maybe when it's time to change the silicone tubing out for some fresh. :D

Actually, all the tubing I used these on is vinyl beer line and gas line - I haven't tried this on silicone tubing.

Beer and gas line clamps are crazy easy to get. IF you know where to get them from. Keg Connection sells them all day long. McMaster-Carr has the correct ones too. You do need two different sized clamps, if you're using the different ID lines/hoses. Trying to use just one clamp size for both won't work properly (without using some MM method).

Back