Toilet overflowing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomerHarley

Reaction score
How is it even possible to overflow like that. I flush, there is nothing in it to back things up and yet the water rises. Every other toilet I have seen the water rises and stops in time unless you flush a second time. No not this one. ****ing **** water all over the floor.

I am now committed to using the backyard to do my business. This has happened too many times. What a way to start the weekend.

That sux like an Electro-lux. Must be a blockage just under the toilet, I'm thinking. Also the tank flapper sounds like it needs attention. Stays open too long.

Well, there might be a blockage beyond the toilet itself but the issue for me would be that it keeps flowing. My toilets have the courtesy to stop before flowing over. In fact, if mine get clogged (because my kids have superhuman poo), I usually flood that bowl to the brim and usually the mass of water and pressure take over.
I would look at a new toilet. A good American Standard is not terribly expensive. I put a big ol' jobber in the master bath, I call it the PooMaster 5000. The old one was this little round dinky jobber. Nothing stops up this one, and it's oval shaped so its easy to shove your junkbox through the hole.

This happen to me a few months ago, but went on intermittently for about four months. I snaked the whole line all the way to the trap outside each time it got really bad. I finally got a bore scope from a buddy of mine and fed it down the pipe. Come to find out, there was a piece of PVC that I guess was from when the house was built. Once I got the piece out I've never had an issue.

Well, question #1 is if you rent or own. If you rent, make your landlord get off his butt and take care of it. If you own, there's about 10 different ways to approach the problem.

Well, question #1 is if you rent or own. If you rent, make your landlord get off his butt and take care of it. If you own, there's about 10 different ways to approach the problem.

since when is it a landlord issue? plunge and snake it, if those don't work there maybe other issues and THAT"S where the landlord may step in

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
since when is it a landlord issue? plunge and snake it, if those don't work there maybe other issues and THAT"S where the landlord may step in

I'm not saying that if there's a #2 jammed in there that the owner needs to come rushing over. I kind of gave the OP the benefit of the doubt that he tried to plunge, and that his wife didn't put a tampon down the thing.

Ok, and now for the self defense. We have had the line snaked all the way to the clean out. Twice.

I can use a plunger but at four in the morning when you can't find the thing, panic occurs.

The problem isn't so much that the toilet plugs, it's that it overflows.

I'm not a moron, but I am also not a plumber.

I'm not saying that if there's a #2 jammed in there that the owner needs to come rushing over. I kind of gave the OP the benefit of the doubt that he tried to plunge, and that his wife didn't put a tampon down the thing.

In the leases I've had, blockages downstream from the toilet are the landlord's problem unless they're caused by putting inappropriate things in the drains/toilets. Doing much more than plunging and maybe gently snaking could potentially land you in (sigh) hot water if you did any damage.

But situations differ.

both my Wife and B.I.L. do this to me all the time. it's some kind of mystery "kind of, almost plug" somewhere down the line. It looks like a clean flush, but for the next person to use it's going to be an issue. It's gotten to where I can hear the flush from the next room and I know. I come running and swearing with plunger in hand. :(

BTW, is there a more disgusting tool in a home than a plunger?

No mater how well you clean it, it was still covered in **** water-on the rubber, soaked into the wood handle...

Flush a couple M80s free it right up and look at your internals sounds like there may be a hangup on your float or it needs readjustment

Here's what the inside of the sanitary pipe from your house to the street looks like:

Winter%202009%20029.JPG

Here's the solution: http://www.rootx.com/

Best if dumped into the cleanout, which should be within 5' of your house, probably in front or side.

we were over at my in-laws today. they said their sink wasn't draining anymore. when I pulled the pipes apart, a compressed log of greasy crap slid out.

we were over at my in-laws today. they said their sink wasn't draining anymore. when I pulled the pipes apart, a compressed log of greasy crap slid out.

Makes you wonder what they're doing in the sink;)

Many people take hot bacon grease or other grease and dump it in the sink. These are dumb people who don't think 2 seconds into the future. They know that as soon as that stuff cools, it congeals and forms a waxy solid, but still they do it, then wonder why the plumbing is stopped.

Many people take hot bacon grease or other grease and dump it in the sink. These are dumb people who don't think 2 seconds into the future. They know that as soon as that stuff cools, it congeals and forms a waxy solid, but still they do it, then wonder why the plumbing is stopped.

I think my MIL & BIL dump all kinds of fat & grease down the drain.

Back