"Buckshot" IIPA Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylja06

Reaction score
I'm working on a IIPA that uses hops from similar families at every stage of the process, hence "Buckshot".

Revised recipe: http://hopville.com/recipe/1668877

Original Recipe:

13.2lb Briess Pilsen Light
4lb Maris Otter
2lb Crystal 80

Hops:
Columbus, Nugget, Chinook

1oz of each at 60
1oz of each at 15
1oz of each at 5

Ferment at 68 for two weeks
Secondary, with dry hop of 1oz each hop, for two weeks

4pks Safale US-05 yeast

Thoughts? Very much a starter recipe.

Where did you get 1.094 OG? Should be much higher for a 5 gallon batch.

The issue is mainly with your fermentables. I would personally shave the OG down to at least 1.085, preferably even lower... with less crystal of course of a lighter Lovibond, and some corn sugar for added dryness. Be sure to do late additions of the sugar and a portion of extract.

Use half the amount of hops you plan on using at 60 to avoid a very odd tasting bitter bomb. The beer as is will have a very confused identity. 4 pks of yeast seems a bit much, but we won't know for sure without more specific info.

OP, what's your boil size (in the kettle) and batch size (in the fermenter)? Pellets or leaf and what are the aa% content of each hop? What do you want this beer to taste, feel, smell like?

For an even 5 gallon batch with 13.2 lbs. Pilsen Light DME, 4 lbs. Maris Otter, and 2 lbs. C80, I get 1.142 in Hopville.

A 7.5 gallon batch yields 1.094 OG.

Ahh, the OP said Pilsen Light... Briess calls their Pilsen malt just that, but they call their extracts Pilsen Light.

Sadly that is LME. I don't have an all grain set up. Techniques to reduce gravity more would be awesome though. Corn sugar was a thought, and kandi sugar hit me even though I don't know it's effects on gravity.

I am boiling 4 gallons of water, using pellets. I can pull all the AAs and stuff, outside the general ranges, if I go by the homebrew store. Not open until Wednesday, however.

The goal is to taste a family of hops while making a big, thick IIPA that shouldn't be aged for very long.

Techniques to reduce gravity more would be awesome though.

Simple. Reduce the amount of fermentables. A full volume boil with no top off water will also help to make this a better beer. Do you have any possibility of doing a full volume boil?

The goal is to taste a family of hops while making a big, thick IIPA

You don't want to muddle the beer with a ton of malt presence then. Thick as in a creamy and heavy mouthfeel? If so, add some flaked oats to your partial mash of Maris Otter. How much grain can your system mash?

Here's an idea based on 4 gallons boiled down to 3 gallons of concentrated wort, then topped off with 2 gallons of plain water to level off at 5 in the primary. I would highly recommend trying to boil 6 gallons down to 5 though vs. topping off.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1668585

4 weeks in primary, 7 days in secondary with dryhop.

In theory I could do a full boil, or just do a half batch to save myself some money. If I rigged things around, I could probably mash around 10 gallons, but it'd take some playing around.

I could easily boil from 4 to 3 and do a case + a few bombers.

Do a 6 gal full boil down to 5 gallons final...no top off water. Whether that be all grain or partial mash. It seems as if you want a good deal of malt complexity with tons of hop character. You do know that you have to mash the MO, right? This isn't an extract recipe where you can just steep the grains.

Honestly I don't have the capacity to do a full 6 gal boil. I'm trying to incorporate all your advice, but need to cut down the boil size to do it. Would doing a 4gal boil while halving the ingredients work out?

I already gave you a hopville link of what I think would be along the lines of what you're looking for. It's based on a 4 gallon boil, not 6. With evaporation via the boil, you'll be left with about 3 gallons post-boil. Top off to 5 gallons in the fermenter if that's all you can do with your system.

Yes, thank you, I saw that. I was trying to write a recipe to do a half batch to incorporate your notes to learn for the future while also not having to top off the fermenter. I'm still 3 gravity points over on FG however.

Back