Just started a boil, need some advice asap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandog2500

Reaction score
Good evening sirs and madams, normally when i sign up for a forum i go through the proper introductions but at the moment, I think i got into a little bit of trouble. Heres whats going on:

I went to my local brewing supply and being a noob, I purchased an ingredients kit. Brewcraft USA Brutal IPA. Being green as i am, i thought it would have all necessary ingredients.....well....half way through heating my specialty grain, i realized there is no yeast!!

Question is, do i stop here? The Grain just finished and now its time to move on to adding the 1st DME. Should i stop here? Or finish the whole cook and run to the supplier first thing in the morning? Thank you in advance, i hope someone can help!

I would finish it up. Make sure everything is super clean/sanitary and seal it up tight and pitch the yeast when u get it

Finish your brew. If you can, research the "no-chill" method. Basically, brewers are putting the hot wort in a sealed jug/fermenter, letting it cool overnight, then pitching the yeast when cooled. Go for it!

And I'd suggest a dry yeast such as US-05 since there's no time for a starter.

I second this. I think that's a Rogue Brutal bitter clone, would probably need a starter with one pack/vial liquid. One pack of US-05 should be good.

OK US-05 it is, The box states "Rogue" on it. This is my first actual cooking brew. The first one i did was a festa brew double oatmeal stout......failed

ok I'm mid boil. Got a quick question. I am following the insteructions given with the box. I found when i should add the Bittering Hops, then the flavoring hops, and at the end, the aroma hops.

Question is, i have 1 package labeled for "Dry hops" but no instructions as to when to add them... any idea?

You sure there is no yeast? Usually the purpose of a kit is having everything needed in the box.

Let the beer ferment for about 2 weeks then add the hops, wait another week then bottle.

You should end up with a good, aromatic beer.
:mug:

Let the beer ferment for about 2 weeks then add the hops, wait another week then bottle.

You should end up with a good, aromatic beer.
:mug:

I still cant find anything about the "dry hops" thats why i am worried. I cant wait though. Ill add after the 2 week mark.

I went to the Beer and wine makers warehouse in Hartford, CT. Look up the Google reviews .....booo.

now i have a 45 minute drive back tomorrow morning to buy the yeast.

By the way, the cook is finished...I think lol. I sanitized everything like 5 times, boiled water, added the wort, and covered right away. I have one last packet of hops to add after fermentation.

A lot of the quality kits I've seen are sold without the yeast so you can choose your preference, but yeah, you would hope they would mention it to you at checkout if you hadn't picked some up.

They open every kit and insert their own personal directions, the owner thinks hes gods gift to brewing...guess what i DONT HAVE ANY YEAST!!!!! What the FLIP!

Go to Brew and Wine Hobby in East Hartford, those guys are great. Or Stomp and Crush down near the Clinton Outlet Mall, he is great down there. I'm a noob myself in the area, good luck on your brew.

Go to Brew and Wine Hobby in East Hartford, those guys are great. Or Stomp and Crush down near the Clinton Outlet Mall, he is great down there. I'm a noob myself in the area, good luck on your brew.

lol My wife just dragged me out to the outlets last Friday night!! I would've went! I was going to try Brew and Wine Hobby but they are in the middle of moving locations and they reopen March 1.

After my FestaBrew fail, I was really anxious to cook some brew myself. The FestaBrew kit i did was Double Oatmeal Stout, Not knowing that much about brewing, I fermented for 3 weeks at 65 degrees...kept the hydrometer in the whole time and thought 1.028 sp gr was ok, and i proceeded to bottle. Now I fear i have 60 2% beers. Any thoughts? Will the % increase a little more in the bottle? Or because its a stout is 1.028 an ok reading?

Was that 1.028 stable over time? I'm worried that your fermentation wasn't done when you bottled. I would get those bottles in some kind of container with a lid in case they go boom. Maybe even chill one every few days and check carbonation, if it looks good chill them all down to put the yeast to sleep. Maybe someone else can chime in with better advice.

You sure the OG reading was correct? perhaps you didn't have it mixed up well enough?

You sure the OG reading was correct? perhaps you didn't have it mixed up well enough?

The festa brew is a pre made wort, Just add yeast...which i didnt stir in per instructions, just sprinkled on top. My kit also recommended that i just put seran wrap over the top of the fermentor, no hard lid or air lock.

yes the 1.028 was consistent from day 5 through day 21.

The festa brew is a pre made wort, Just add yeast...which i didnt stir in per instructions, just sprinkled on top. My kit also recommended that i just put seran wrap over the top of the fermentor, no hard lid or air lock.

Well you may be okay then. That stuff just may not be that fermentable. Sounds like you have a much better quality kit this time.

While you are at the LHBS, you might as well grab a few packs of US-05, it came in handy for me a few times when I couldn't make a starter. Depending on the gravity, you might want to pitch 2 packs. I also found that rehydrating speeds up fermentation time, less lag, the better.

I am taking all advice I can get, Hough77 do i rehydrate the US-05 Packs? Depending on the OG how will I know to use 1 or 2 packs? I read that a starting gravity of > 1.08 would like a starter.

Back