First AG Belgian Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spui

Reaction score
This is my first Belgian 14lbs Belgian pale malt, 1lb Cara pils, 1/8 lb aromatic, 1lb clear candi sugar, 1.5oz styrian goldings, 1.5oz saaz, white labs 550 belgian yeast. So its been in primary for 18days. I just transferred it to the secondary. Its tastes a little hoppy and plenty of funk smell and the trub at the bottom had a little green in it. Does this sound normal so far? Not much flavor off of the yeast I was expecting more, does that come on with aging? Oh and the gravity started at 1.075 and ended at 1.010.

Give it some time. Belgians are not like most brews and really do change with time. I brew them a lot and almost always leave them in the fermenter for 5-6 weeks. Then bottle. For bottle conditioning think months instead of weeks. They really do improve with time.

Belgians are not for those that do not have patience.

Give it some time. Belgians are not like most brews and really do change with time. I brew them a lot and almost always leave them in the fermenter for 5-6 weeks. Then bottle. For bottle conditioning think months instead of weeks. They really do improve with time.

Belgians are not for those that do not have patience.

This.

I just had the last bottle of a Saison I brewed back in June the other day, and it was worlds better than the ones I started opening up after the prescribed 3 weeks after bottling.

If you aren't really tasting much flavor from the yeast, what temperature did you have it fermenting at? I ferment most of my Belgians in the mid-70's, mid-80's for my Saisons, and I'm happy with the ester/phenol production in my homebrews.

Back