No yeast activity in 24 hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffNYC

Reaction score
I pitched White Labs 500 (Belgian Trappist Ale) yesterday about this time at around 80 degrees. Put into 70-73 degree environment. No activity so far. I brought the yeast to room temperature, about 80 degrees same as the wort. Any opinions? Dead? Should I pitch a dry yeast? Hate to do that as I was brewing a Belgian-style dubbel.

If you just pitched the tube straight with out a starter, it can have quite a lag time. I did that once and didn't have activity for 'round 30+ hours.

Is this particular to this strain (WPL500)? Other White Labs yeasts I've used had activity in 12 hours, or so. Rapid activity by 24. No starter. It was fresh, but I didn't have it packed in an ice pack and it was hot during the days in transit.

That could be the problem if it got warm. Depending on the SG of your beer it might take awhile.

1.072, not all that high if you ask me. I think I may have a dud here.

JeffNYC said:
1.072, not all that high if you ask me. I think I may have a dud here.

Why would you think its a dud? Its normal for you to see no fermentation activity within 24 hours if you didn't use a starter with liquid yeast.

I must be lucky so far, I normally see robust activity by 24 hours with White Labs and no starter. Always something to learn here...

1.072 isn't a session beer.
The yeast know they have a lot of work to do and they are just building up their numbers before attacking.

Well past 48 hours but now going well this morning. Smells great from the air lock. Patience is a virtue...

Back