rust on carboy brush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linkstorinks

Reaction score
any ideas on this how it formed or getting it off? just buy a new one and hope it does not do the same?

standard cleansing has been either one step or oxy with Star San as a sanitizer then stored in a enclosed tub after dried.

was shocked to see what I saw, all around the metal part of the carboy brush, have not had it happen to my bottle brush at least. got a primary to clean this weekend so need to know any solutions other than buying new equip. since everything I have is relatively new still.

Thanks!

I'm thinking that if you only used it during cleaning and gave the carboy a thorough rinse after and then sanitize you should be OK. I'm really not sure though, I could be wrong. I'm interested to see what others have to say.

+1 to killian. :mug:

I wouldn't worry about the rust on the brush, since it's used for cleaning and you're going to rinse and then sanitize anyway.

If you use oxvlean AND/OR a Jet carboy/bottle washer;

drawing.gif

It won't matter if your carboy brush has rust on it....you won't be needing it.

I haven't used one in over a year.

yeah i have been planning on getting one of those in the future, have spent a ton recently on new equipment/ingredients. Any idea on the rust issue though? just seems weird that it rusted after one use while the other brushes I have used with the same methods did not at all. perplexed on it.

I have this exact problem. I need to clean my 6 gallon better bottle but my brush has rust all over it. I guess ill just do my best to rinse the carboy thoroughly after using the rusty brush.

My brush has rust on it since I left it in some star san overnight one time. That was when I first started brewing about a year ago and I haven't had any issues with it yet. Brew on.

I have this exact problem. I need to clean my 6 gallon better bottle but my brush has rust all over it. I guess ill just do my best to rinse the carboy thoroughly after using the rusty brush.

I really wouldnt use those carboy brushes on the better bottles, there is a pretty good chance itll scratch the inside of the vessel creating perfect homes for bacteria to settle in.

Had it happen to me on one of my first brews, I left the bottle brush just sitting in the san, it will rust pretty quick if you leave it in there for a hour or so.

Back