Aged 9,000 Years, Ancient Beer Finally Hits Stores!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, thanks for sharing. I didn't know about that one. If you're into that stuff you should also check out their Midas Touch (if you haven't already). It's not my cup of tea, but it's cool to say you drank an ancient recipe :p

I really enjoyed Midas Touch before even realizing it was an ancient recipe. I'm sure I'll pick up a bottle of this just to say I've tried it. It's too expensive for me to do regularly though.

What is it made of? I looked on their website and basically found the NPR article, but not a list of ingredients contained in the recipe.

What is it made of? I looked on their website and basically found the NPR article, but not a list of ingredients contained in the recipe.

From BeerAdvocate...

Inspired by a beverage found in clay posts in China around 9000 years ago. In keeping with historic evidence, Dogfish brewers used pre-gelatinized rice flakes, Wildflower honey, Muscat grapes, barley malt, hawthorn fruit, and Chrysanthemum flowers. The rice and barley malt were added together to make the mash for starch conversion and degradation. The resulting sweet wort was then run into the kettle. The honey, grapes, Hawthorn fruit, and Chrysanthemum flowers were then added. The entire mixture was boiled for 45 minutes, and then cooled. The resulting sweet liquid was pitched with a fresh culture of Sake yeast and allowed to ferment a month before the transfer into a chilled secondary tank.

Looks interesting!

i'll be looking to buy some this tomorrow.

This has sparked my interest.

i dont like midas touch too much, but im anxious to try this one, prolly cost a wee bit just like the midas. thought it was a cool article! glad you enjoyed!:ban:

I had this one in the spring. It was very different from anything I've ever tasted. The flowers it's brewed with dominate the flavor, and in my opinion it wasn't very good. That being said, I don't regret trying it at least.

The Midas Touch along with other recipes are in his book, so I wouldn't be surprised if he released a homebrew version of this beer. Anyhow I'll have to pick one up from the store to try it first :p

Here we go again... another Sam Calagione "magical" specialty beer. I'd fall off my chair if I heard they made something relatively normal and focused their energy on making it a good, repeatable recipe. That's something they don't seem to be too good at down there...

Many of their recipes are repeatable. They're just not always good.

They do have a few awesome beers, though; Immort Ale is fantastic given a year or two to age (when it first hits the shelves it needs some time, though). Both the 90 and 60 minute IPAs are quite good.

Try adding some marigold or dandelion flowers tops, the main ingredient of lutien, the eyesight saver, as in most pills bought over the counter, to your brew.
Makes colors really come out for us older guys.

NPR must receive it's news by carrier pigeon. Dogfish Head has been making this beer for at least 4 years yet the article makes it sound new.

FWIW, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it, but I like it better than Midas Touch.

I had to laugh a little while reading this. They base their recipes on traces of ingredients they find when analyzing the crockery...

The molecular evidence told McGovern the vessels from China once contained an alcoholic beverage made of rice, grapes, hawthorn berries, honey and chrysanthemum flowers.

"What we found is something that was turning up all over the world from these early periods," he says. "We don't have just a wine or a beer or a mead, but we have like a combination of all three."

I bet this was not a recipe, rather 3or 4 different drink that were in the vessel at various times. Like if I had a a clay bottle of beer and then refilled it with wine and maybe some rice wine, some analyzing this would say I had a drink made with grain, rice and grapes... sure. But whatever kind of a cool concept.

I really like Chateau Jiahu, but more importantly, SWMBO loves it. She even uses the bottles as vases. It's #7 in my brew queue.

Finally hit's shelves? It's been out for some time. I can't even remember when we tried it. Don't remember if I liked it though.

Also, I read or saw a piece on this. They claimed they couldn't tell if all the trace materials were from one drink or several that had been contained over time. So they decided to brew a beer with everything.

I really enjoy Dogfish Head's out-of-the-box brewing attitude. Not all of their beers are a hit with me, but at least they're not afraid to take chances.

Their more normal beers are generally quite good. And their Aprihop IPA is fantastic and I don't like apricots. But it melds quite nicely with the hops.

Hype & marketing. I kindof like DFH but IMHO most of what they do is gimmicky, everything else is just not that decent. shelter pale ale, india brown ale are so so, and their mainstay - 60 minute IPA - is just another IPA, and in recent months tastes a little like a small 90 minute (malty sweet) and less of what it used to be.

IMHO and YMMV and WTF
Steve da sleeve

I am drinking a 60 minute at the moment and I think it is very good. A malty sweet beginning and a long, complex hops finish. I like the 90 minute too. Haven't had the ancient reissue beverage, but I agree that it sounds like that particular piece of crockery was re-used a bit.

John

I am drinking a 60 minute at the moment and I think it is very good. A malty sweet beginning and a long, complex hops finish. I like the 90 minute too. Haven't had the ancient reissue beverage, but I agree that it sounds like that particular piece of crockery was re-used a bit.

John

A few years ago h 60 minute was wonderful, with a real grapefruity hop aroma and not so sweet. Now it is pretty good, my favorite DFH beer but not brilliant on anything. I always found the 90 minute too sweet. I recently went to the DFH pub and had a continually hopped pilsner called, I think, My Anthony or something, which was pretty good, 7.5% abv.

Back