DIY/Home Improvement forum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a Do It Yourself / Home Improvement forum? I'm not the most handy guy so I need help with basics like how to install a fan/light in a bathroom, how to install a ceiling fan, how to improve yard drainage. I have enough tools to be dangerous.

wow, I've never seen those links down at the bottom!

Methinks "TxBuilder" would be our Tx; mentions homebrewing and jeeps as two of his other hobbies :D

Doesn't seem to have nearly the traffic of this forum; ought to get Yuri (and now Dude) posting over there... :D

the_bird said:
Methinks "TxBuilder" would be our Tx; mentions homebrewing and jeeps as two of his other hobbies :D

Doesn't seem to have nearly the traffic of this forum; ought to get Yuri (and now Dude) posting over there... :D

I post there too. Just started a few weeks ago. I'm Parrothead over there.:D

I think it's a relatively new forum. It'll pick up, IMHO.

I'm just waiting for the e-mail so I can complete the registration....

diy.net is OK if you're looking for something specific. repairclinic.com is a good place for appliance repair info & part numbers. askthebuilder.com is a good source for homeimprovement info. your local university or extension office for info on trees, weeds, lawn info.

the_bird said:

I've posted there once or twice - got good answers pretty quickly, but it doesn't seem to house the nut-job enthusiasts core that lurks here. Probably because DIY is more work than fun most of the time.

I just got done tiling my second bathroom...that will complete every room on the main floor completely renovated.

The new sink goes in tomorrow and the stool after that. The new medicine cabinet is on board for this weekend followed by a new shower door and tub/shower hardware...wife will stain the cabinetry.:D

I'll be tiling the basement in the spring...I can hardly wait...:eek:

homebrewer_99 said:
I just got done tiling my second bathroom...that will complete every room on the main floor completely renovated.

The new sink goes in tomorrow and the stool after that. The new medicine cabinet is on board for this weekend followed by a new shower door and tub/shower hardware...wife will stain the cabinetry.:D

I'll be tiling the basement in the spring...I can hardly wait...:eek:

I may be hitting you up for some tips; got a small mudroom/entryway to do soon, a kitchen to do in a year or so.

Yep I run HouseRepairTalk.com but don't post much. DIY is not a subject many want to discuss like you would think. Generally people post a question, get the answer, then don't come back until something else breaks months later.

I bought a house last year and have had to renovate a lot of it myself. I've gotten a lot of great information from the members there. Core group of skilled guys that answer questions pretty fast. There is a father/son duo (Square Eye & glennjanie) that help a lot and know their stuff!

If you registered and were waiting for account activation that is fixed now, e-mail server is having issues.

I purchased a house (3 years come May) and have redone almost every room (except for carpetting -- which I am NOT pleased with, but my wife insisted I not do because of time constraints).

I also paid to get the roof and siding done by professionals...the rest is for my fun.:D

yeah......still waiting on that e-mail to activate my account. :mad:

MUAHHAHHAHA The original part of our home is from 1870. Other than that it is a fix-er-upper. Hey it was a great deal. :D The past year was uhm...painful. I can remember sitting in what is now the living room, with a box of pizza, teh wife and I drinking a growler of Winter Warmer from Otto's, a local brewpub. It was crazy. I see you have resolved the diy website. If you want another pm me.

todd_k said:
yeah......still waiting on that e-mail to activate my account. :mad:

It won't come, email server was broke then. I already activated your account.

Well, I finished the tiling, installing the new sink/counter, and installed the medicine cabinet...

Here's a pic of the floor...got a good deal on the ceramic tile...$10.00 a box/2 boxes and plenty left over (saved $30.00 on the tile).:D

I centered the tiles on the doorway so it would look better as you enter. Some tilers would have just centered it for the room, but I didn't like the way it looked with a half piece in the doorway.

P1150803-00.jpg

Not with the storm coming your way.... I heard Caribou, ME was -36 wind chill across the AFB. I'll stay here where it's closer to 0.;)

How about I just cheer you on???:ban: :mug: :ban:

Wait til this spring. I plan on doing the basement with 4 different sizes of tile...

Here's my hall bathroom shower I tiled using different sized tiles:

It came out pretty good and was better than the standard surround.

:)

Just go buy a bunch of tile that complement each other and lay them out on the floor, arranging them in different ways until it starts looking like something.

The wife and I bought every different size of a certain color, then found some border tiles and added in some slate. After about 45 mins of playing with it, we came up with this.

Planning it out is half the fun!

:cross:

you need a sketch or plan to help you decide which of the following techniques is best for your situation.

Y
Can anyone recommend a Do It Yourself / Home Improvement forum? I'm not the most handy guy so I need help with basics like how to install a fan/light in a bathroom, how to install a ceiling fan, how to improve yard drainage. I have enough tools to be dangerous.

YouTube has a lot of good DIY videos. I've used them with success. You may need to watch 3-5 of them to make a complete picture of the processes you need for your situation.

Eleven year old Zombie thread, and on a first post? Welcome to the forum, "@Michael Adam"!

Things like this always make me curious what folks were searching for that these threads pop back up.

Thanks a lot. Yes i know, to hard to decide what is the best for home improvement. I think you need to hire a contractor, with the proper planning and a knowledgeable contractor, you can be assured of a job well done at a reasonable cost. And of course choose the contractor you feel most comfortable working with.

The Black & Decker series of books ... electrical, plumbing, etc ... are some of the best step-by-step illustrated guides I've seen. Very comprehensive, *very* well illustrated, and very easy to understand.
I find books much easier to use than a website as I don't have to go online repeatedly to clarify things or try to use a (small) handheld device and try to navigate text and illustrations.

If you google the phrase "The Black & Decker Complete Guide to Home Wiring" you can see an example from that series.

Back