Fixing a plastic bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARV9673

Reaction score
I have a set up from Williams (plastic "fermentor" primary and priming bucket) and my priming bucket has a large crack in it. Is there any sort of preferred method for repairing the crack? I'd rather just glob something on it (or even duct tape it, but I don't think that would be beer-tight, or sanitary) than buy a whole new one. I use a carboy for a secondary, so the only problems using the fermentor for priming are having to tilt to get the last bit out and if I ever want to do more than one batch at a time I will have no where to put the the sugar as both fermentor and secondary will be full.

yeah.. i think they are like 12 bucks... dont risk it.. buy a new one or a carboy or hell, even a better bottle!

I'll fourth the advice to toss it - anything you do to seal it up won't be all that smooth, and will be likely to harbor infections. Not worth risking however much you spend on ingredients to avoid buying a new bucket.

I'd salvage the spigot and buy a new bucket. There are epoxies that would probably work, but you would always have a cleaning and contamination problem. IF you had the right kind of heat gun, you could repair the crack, but if the bucket has one crack it is just an matter of time before more develop.

homebrewer_99 said:
I had a cracked bucket a few years ago. I ended up using it to store some of the greatgrandkids smaller toys in it. Stores well in the closet afterwards too.:D

Not a bad idea. or store your brewing eqpt. in it. lol!

Back