Too much head space?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxofRain

Reaction score
Was just transferred from primary to what we thought was a 5 gallon carboy. We may need to rethink that one. Got some very very slow action from the airlock. What does everyone think?

2938298441_3ee175a196.jpg

I don't have an answer but your post did peak my curiosity. I have to assume your primary fermenter was a plasitc bucket? Only because if it was a 6 gal carboy...didn't you notice that your secondary carboy was the same size when side by side?:D :drunk:

I guess the response depends on what is in the carboy? Beer, wine, Cider?

Beer (Nut Brown Ale)

I don't have an answer but your post did peak my curiosity. I have to assume your primary fermenter was a plasitc bucket? Only because if it was a 6 gal carboy...didn't you notice that your secondary carboy was the same size when side by side?:D :drunk:

Good call. Yeah we fermented in a bucket. My 6 gallon is at my place with Apfelwine. This carboy was just freed up when my brewing buddy bottled some wine. There's equipment spread out between us.

ide say your fine especially if your still getting co2 produced...Just leave it be. And for the record ive had that much if not more headspace and turned out excellent beers. If your still worried i would invest in a small 20oz co2 paintball tank and purge the headspace with co2.

ide say your fine especially if your still getting co2 produced...Just leave it be. And for the record ive had that much if not more headspace and turned out excellent beers. If your still worried i would invest in a small 20oz co2 paintball tank and purge the headspace with co2.

Hmmmm...he's got this nifty co2 cork screw. Wonder if that would work the same way.

Don't worry about it. I racked some stout from my primary to my secondary and had quite a bit of headspace. The CO2 will blanket your beer. No need to worry about oxidation unless you are going to leave it there for months on end. Just tasted to finished stout and it is great.

Back