Sassafras/sarsaparilla root beer recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So lets do this. Ill see if I can alter this to a more updated version of what I have.

Ingredients:
8 Qts. Water
24 oz. Honey
3 Star Anise (I no longer use)
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 cp. Sarsaparilla
1/4 cp. Sassafras
2 cp. Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla Flavoring - I feel the vanilla flavoring gives more "vanilla flavor" than the extract does. Experiment with this to get the amount of vanilla flavor you like.
1/4 cp. Chopped Raisins
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1/4 oz. Juniper Berries (50) <---This might be the culprit to your issue so start here. Once I took these completely out I noticed I didn't have a "funk" in my brew anymore.
1/4 tsp. Champagne Yeast (1/8tsp/ gal)

Try those updates and see how that works out. Again, those juniper berries might be causing that for you so I would start by removing those. I had a weird funky flavor I was picking up in the background and once I got rid of the juniper berries all was good and tasted much better.

Let me know how this goes for you.:mug:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I used the instructions from the thread I linked to. The recipe is the one at the beginning of this thread. I could have sworn I linked the beginning of this thread too, but I must have only linked the other one.

So then just so I understand you correctly, you are using the recipe in this thread on post #7 which was my first reply in this thread correct? :D
If that's the case then this is the recipe I posted...

Ingredients:
8 Qts. Water
24 oz. Honey
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 cp. Sarsaparilla
1/4 cp. Sassafras
1 1/2 cp. Brown Sugar (only use light brown sugar)
2 tsp. Vanilla Flavoring (not extract)
1/4 cp. Chopped Raisins
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1/4 tsp. Champagne Yeast (1/4tsp/ gal)

I will be honest. I am not sure why you are getting the flavors you describe. This has been a pretty solid recipe. It also doesn't have the juniper berries which was my first guess based on my experience with them. Maybe one thing to try would be to cut back on the Sarsaparilla root. That might be the next possibility of where you could get feet from. lol Your tongue, obviously different than mine, but smell your roots and you might be able to pick up what I am talking about in that Sarsaparilla root. So maybe cut it back to 1/8 cup and try that.

Yes, that's right. The recipe from the first page of this thread (that you just re-posted) and the instructions from the other thread.

I just checked the sarsaparilla. I don't think that's the problem, but I'll try your suggestion. I'll make the batch either tomorrow or this weekend, and I'll report back when it's done.

Just to be sure, what I'm doing is boiling all ingredients for 25min on a boil slightly higher than a simmer, then add the brown sugar and boil for another 5 minutes. Then let it steep to room temp, filter it into bottles, and add the yeast. Sound good?

Ingredients:
8 Qts. Water
24 oz. Honey
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 cp. Sarsaparilla
1/4 cp. Sassafras
<1/4 cp. Chopped Raisins>
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
<1/4 tsp. Champagne Yeast (1/4tsp/ gal)>

If I am planning on making this to force carb using a Tap-a-Draft is there any reason to include the raisins?, also would I want to cut back on the honey since I will not be using any yeast?

If I am planning on making this to force carb using a Tap-a-Draft is there any reason to include the raisins?, also would I want to cut back on the honey since I will not be using any yeast?

I haven't made a batch of root beer yet, but I plan on kegging when I do. I've read where people are mixing it up and force carbing, but I have to think that the yeast is lending to the overall flavor as well--even something clean like champagne yeast.

My plan currently is to ferment for a few days in a carboy, crash, transfer to the keg and carb.

There is no correlation between the honey and yeast. The honey is added to add another flavor to the brew. You could still cut back on the honey if you so chose depending on your tastes. Unless of course there is any reason that you don't want or shouldn't have to much of it because it will somehow affect your hardware. I don't know if those type of things affect hardware or not since I am not familiar with that type of equipment.

There is no correlation between the honey and yeast.

Well, for the 2-3 days you are fermenting, the yeast is eating the honey and brown sugar and reducing the overall sweetness of the root beer (and creating other goodies). So to directly answer his question, if he's not going to use any yeast, then it does make sense to reduce the sugar a bit in the recipe to compensate. By how much? I don't know.

My point above was that I think the yeast will contribute to the overall flavor of the finished product. i.e. It's not just for carbing bottles. But that's just based on my experience with beer. I haven't actually made a root beer yet. Looking forward to using your recipe when I do though!

netsecgeek said:
Well, for the 2-3 days you are fermenting, the yeast is eating the honey and brown sugar and reducing the overall sweetness of the root beer (and creating other goodies). So to directly answer his question, if he's not going to use any yeast, then it does make sense to reduce the sugar a bit in the recipe to compensate. By how much? I don't know. My point above was that I think the yeast will contribute to the overall flavor of the finished product. i.e. It's not just for carbing bottles. But that's just based on my experience with beer. I haven't actually made a root beer yet. Looking forward to using your recipe when I do though!

The real way to determine the sugar used would be to take a specific gravity before and after carbonation. As far as the yeast flavor is concerned I thought most people used champaign yeast which is pretty clean. I use different yeasts to get me different flavor profiles in beer, mead, or wine with soda I thought the point was to have a clean flavor.

Well, for the 2-3 days you are fermenting, the yeast is eating the honey and brown sugar and reducing the overall sweetness of the root beer (and creating other goodies). So to directly answer his question, if he's not going to use any yeast, then it does make sense to reduce the sugar a bit in the recipe to compensate. By how much? I don't know.

My point above was that I think the yeast will contribute to the overall flavor of the finished product. i.e. It's not just for carbing bottles. But that's just based on my experience with beer. I haven't actually made a root beer yet. Looking forward to using your recipe when I do though!

Oh yeah, I wasn't sure if that's the way you were going with it:D Yes any fermentable sugar will be eaten by the yeast. So yes you would be correct. If hes not using yeast then he may want to decrease the amount of sweetness. Of course there are people who like sweetness. I have not tried an unfermented batch of root beer yet myself. Maybe next time I brew I will take out a cups worth or something and try that just so I can sample and see what the difference is. Im no curious on just how much "sweet" you lose due to the yeast.

The real way to determine the sugar used would be to take a specific gravity before and after carbonation. As far as the yeast flavor is concerned I thought most people used champaign yeast which is pretty clean. I use different yeasts to get me different flavor profiles in beer, mead, or wine with soda I thought the point was to have a clean flavor.

This is exactly what I use. When I was first starting I came across recipes that were saying to just use yeast you find in the grocery store. Man was that a bad idea. I cant stand the taste of beer and I was getting those types of flavors from some of the different types of yeast I was using. Then a smart man at my local brew shop suggested the Champagne yeast due to its fine bubbles and really clean flavor. He also said "this is what most people use for when doing root beer." I haven't used anything else since then.

I will take gravity readings and post them here when I make my batch. I still have to order the roots.

I'll be using dried champagne yeast as well and temp controlling the batch at like 60F to keep it clean. Even given that, I still think the fermentation process will impart a flavor/mouthfeel you cannot get otherwise.

On the 'old feet' smell....not all Champagne yeast are the same. You have Red Star Champagne, then many choose EC-1118. And I have never been pleased with either in sodamaking. My personal choice is Premier Cuvee, it seems to be my fallback yeast for soda making. It is clean and crisp, not harsh.

Stumbled across a nice yeast chart, http://www.homebrewery.com/wine/wine-yeast-dry.shtml

Masterjuggler--has your water source been the same for each 'stinky feet' batch? And which yeast specifically? Temperature?

Honestly I haven't made any root beer since I posted last.

I got whatever strain this yeast is.

I'm using water from the filter by my sink, every time. I'm not sure what you mean by temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:
would there be a way to filter the yeast after it's been carbonated well enough, and to preserve the carbonation? say, it was fermenting in a carboy and you wanted to bottle it.

I myself have never tried it and not sure why you would want to do it, but if your looking at stopping the fermentation when you reach the level of carbonation you want, simply pasteurizing will do that. I guess my thought is that if you carb it, then open the carboy to bottle it you will lose some carbonation upon opening the carboy, in addition to more when you filter out the yeast and pour into bottles. By the time all is said and done, you will likely end up with a relatively flat beverage. You might be thinking "well ill carb past what I want so that after the process I may end up at the level I do want." Well the problem with that is we don't know what the percentage of carbonation will be lost during the process but you also risk the chance of turning your carboy into a bomb. I have been there and done that and that is not a pleasant sound or mess to clean up at 3am when you're dead asleep. Without anyway of monitoring the psi inside the carboy and knowing what psi is the "breaking point" of the carboy, it just doesn't seem like a good or feasible thing to do.

I myself have never tried it and not sure why you would want to do it, but if your looking at stopping the fermentation when you reach the level of carbonation you want, simply pasteurizing will do that. I guess my thought is that if you carb it, then open the carboy to bottle it you will lose some carbonation upon opening the carboy, in addition to more when you filter out the yeast and pour into bottles. By the time all is said and done, you will likely end up with a relatively flat beverage. You might be thinking "well ill carb past what I want so that after the process I may end up at the level I do want." Well the problem with that is we don't know what the percentage of carbonation will be lost during the process but you also risk the chance of turning your carboy into a bomb. I have been there and done that and that is not a pleasant sound or mess to clean up at 3am when you're dead asleep. Without anyway of monitoring the psi inside the carboy and knowing what psi is the "breaking point" of the carboy, it just doesn't seem like a good or feasible thing to do.

Thanks for the explanation! The pasteurizing is what I needed to know.

* Heat up a stock pot of water to 190 degrees.
* When 190 is reached then turn the heat off.
* Add bottles of root beer to the pot but do not crowd to much. I do about 3-4 bottles at a time.
* Put lid on pot and let sit for 10 minutes.
* Carefully remove bottles and let cool.
- Repeat process until all bottles have been done.
* Once cooled, place in fridge for enjoyment whenever you feel you need a delicious carbonated non exploding beverage.
;) Hope this helps.

I finally got around to making another batch after managing to make enough room in the fridge. I got the pbw cleaner and sanitized with starsan, and even used bottled water instead of filtered tap water. I swear, there is no possible way anything unsanitized touched my root beer to infect the yeast. Still though, it smells and tastes like feet.

So now I'm positive it has something to do with my ingredients. I doubt my yeast is bad, as it has never even left the fridge. I forgot to cut back on the sarsaparilla this time, but I'm pretty sure that isn't it (it has no funky smell). My raisins did expire 4 years ago, but they are just dried fruit, and shouldn't go bad, as far as I know. My nutmeg is ground, I'm not sure if you use whole nutmeg. None of my ingredients smell like the feet smell I'm getting from the root beer.

I can try using active dry yeast next time, see if the feet smell goes away and is replaced by a yeast taste. I also have more champaign yeast that is still in unopened packets, and hasn't left the freezer since I got it.

Besides the yeast and the nutmeg (and possibly raisins?), I can't think of anything else that would be causing this smell and taste. I could try a different recipe? I'm really at a loss.

One thing to note though, is that the flavor doesn't taste "disastrous". It tastes more like some ingredient didn't work out right, if you know what I mean. I could be completely wrong here, but this is just an observation.

My guess would be that it's something to do with your fermentation process. Yeast can be very finicky and if you don't baby your yeast a bit, then you can get a lot of off flavors. That's what happened to me until I made a few specific changes.

1. I started adding more yeast. I was so worried about my fermentation going too fast and my bottles exploding that I added a very small pinch of yeast only. I later found out that this stresses out the yeast more and produces a lot of off flavors.

2. I stabilized the fermentation temperature. I live in California and the labile temperatures here pushed into higher levels than the yeast liked. Now, after I bottle every batch, I submerge them in water during fermentation to reduce temperature fluctuation. I also added ice to the water during summer days to keep the temp in the 60's.

3. I started using yeast nutrient. My recipe uses a lot of variable sugar sources (maple syrup, honey, etc.). The yeast nutrient helps ferment these different sugar sources without getting as stressed out.

Also, I say toss your raisins. Long ago, raisins were used as a source for fermentation because they carry their own wild yeast strains on their skins. I'm guessing that the effect of expiration on your raisins is that the wild yeast is more prominent. If the wild yeast on your raisins is active in your fermentation, or if it has effected the composition of your raisins, then it may not produce flavors that you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions about the raisins and adding more yeast. Right now I add only as much yeast per bottle as can fit on the tip of a knife, and it took 5 days to carbonate (the 16.9oz bottles). Guess that's not enough.

I'm pretty sure temperature isn't the problem, as my house is always kept at a steady ~70°F.

If it still doesn't come out right, I'll try the yeast nutrient you were talking about. I don't think that's the problem though, because other people don't use the nutrient without a problem.

I would guess that's your problem. I'm adding 1/4 tsp per gallon now.

How do you add yeast? Crazy8 said he was getting inconsistent fermentation in the bottles when he added yeast to the pot, so I always add straight to the bottles.

I rehydrate 1/4 tsp yeast in 1/4 cup warm water for ~20 minutes, then put it into the cooled root beer.

Got new raisins and used your method of putting yeast in, with 1/4tsp/gal. I used the recipe Crazy8 posted in post #7 of this thread, and it still tastes strange, but I think that's just the recipe's fault now. It's passable, but only barely. Definitely not the strong feet taste/smell I was getting before, but definitely not A&W root beer. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it tastes too sweet I think. I'll try a different recipe next time, and if that turns out better, or at the very least doesn't have this foot/sweet flavor, then I'll know it's turning out right.

OH MY WORD YOU GUYS...You're going to make me cry.:mug: I don't even know what to say. To be honest I have heard such comments from people I work with that have had it, and I guess I just don't get it. Perhaps its true that we are our own worst critics. I am glad that it is enjoyed by many though. I just came across this this post and thought to myself "Hmmmm maybe I should submit my recipe for this guy." and as soon as I started reading I was shocked. Saramc, thank you so much for your praises I am glad you like it so much and Klowneyy if you try it I hope it all works out well for you and that you also enjoy it. For those that are interested...This recipe is what I am now calling my "Signature" recipe. It has changed much since I posted those ingredients. Where it stands now does have some things I am keeping secret, at least for now, but here is kind of what it looks like now.

Ingredients:
8 Qts. Water
24 oz. Honey
1/4 tsp. Salt (try without)
1/4 cp. Sarsaparilla
1/4 cp. Sassafras
1/4 cp. Chopped Raisins
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1/4 tsp. Champagne Yeast (1/4tsp/ gal)

I removed juniper berries because as I really paid attention to the flavors, I was picking up something in the background that I couldn't decide if I liked or not. So I looked over all my ingredients and I thought "Well the only "weird" thing here is maybe the juniper berries." Sure enough once I removed them that odd background flavor was no longer there.

Klowneyy, or anyone else who may be interested, I have a YouTube channel that goes through some root beer brewing stuff, sanitizing, etc. that you might find helpful. Just do a search in YouTube for KD0RVY. Thats a zero not an "O". Hope this helps.

Crazy8, do you have your quantities as measured by weight?

I'm sorry I don't. Since I do the size batches I do, measurements seemed like the way to go. Sorry.:(

Crazy8, thanks for the recipe! Do you use the cut and sifted sassafras or the powder?

EDIT: I watched his video and looked through the previously linked thread - NO POWDER. Sorry for the redundant question!

crazy8. Just wanna get an update on the root beer. Just ordered my sassafras and sarsaparilla on ebay and planning to brew the recipe on the first page, using the instructions on the original post. Just wanted to see if anything has changed. Thanks

Awesome! Look forward to hearing about your experience with it. The "Signature" recipe has changed a little but still tastes great. I am thinking about doing some tweaks to perfect it but it's still a solid recipe.

“Signature Recipe”
MAKES 3 GALLONS
12 Qts Water
36 oz. Honey
6 Star Anise (TRY WITHOUT)
3/8 tsp. Salt
3/8 cp. Sarsaparilla
3/8 cp. Sassafras
3 cp. Pure Cane Sugar (Stick to light brown sugar)
1 1/2 cp Vanilla Flavoring
3/8 cp. Chopped Raisins
3/8 tsp. Nutmeg
1/8 tsp. Champagne Yeast (per gallon)
4 oz. Maltodextrine

MAKES 5 GALLONS
20 Qts Water
60 oz. Honey
10 Star Anise (TRY WITHOUT)
5/8 tsp. Salt
5/8 cp. Sarsaparilla
5/8 cp. Sassafras
5 cp. Pure Cane Sugar (Stick to light brown sugar)
2 1/2 cp Vanilla Flavoring
5/8 cp. Chopped Raisins
5/8 tsp. Nutmeg
1/8 tsp. Champagne Yeast (per gallon)
7 oz. Maltodextrine

Instructions:
1. If using a 12qt pot and making a 3gal (12qt) batch, put in 8qts of water into the pot. Always use only a fraction of the total water, as to leave a portion left for cooling the batch down with.
2. While water is heating up, place all ingredients into pot (either directly or inside a brew bag) except brown sugar and honey.
3. Lightly boil/simmer for 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes, stir in the Maltodextrine.
5. After stirring in the Maltodextrine is added, let 15 minutes pass then add the brown sugar and honey.
5a. Take off heat. Continue to stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
6. In your Ale Pail, or similar 5gal bucket, fill with 1gal of fresh cold water and pour the warm brew through a fine mesh funnel, into the Ale Pail.
- If bottling
a. Once target temp has been reached fill each of the bottles.
NOTE: Target temp is important since yeast will die at anything hotter than 95 degrees. Temps 60-95 degrees is acceptable, but I try to go no higher than 75. I like to play it safe.
b. Measure out (or sprinkle) the amount of yeast needed for each bottle. Cap and let sit until carbonated to desired amount.
NOTE: I have measured this a couple ways and think I will get a small scale to do it now. I have taken a 1/8tsp of yeast and divided it 8 ways (since I have 16oz bottles and 1gal/16oz=8). I have also done the light sprinkling method. Both of which have worked for the most part but I am sure there is a much more accurate way of measuring such a small amount.
- If putting into 1 gallon carboys
c. Pour liquid into jug
d. Once jug has been filled to the appropriate level, add 1/8 tsp. champagne yeast
6. Let sit for 3 days then put into fridge for another 3 days to chill and slow down yeast activity.
NOTE: One option would be to pasteurize the bottles after 3 days, assuming they have peak carbonation after 3 days. Let sit longer if needed.
Pasteurization: is done by bringing water to a temp of 160 degrees F and placing the finished carbonated product into the water. Once placed into the water, put a lid over the pot and let sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, take bottled product out of the pot and let cool. Repeat as needed.
7. ENJOY :)

FINAL THOUGHTS:
1. I have noticed that most of my brew takes 3 days to carbonate to the perfect amount.
2. When I make my (big) batches I try to use at least one, usually two, 2 liter bottles with some of my root beer in them. This way I can feel the bottles tighten up when they are carbonating. This allows me to use them as a gauge of sorts on the level of carbonation inside the bottles. When they become almost impossible to squeeze on the top dome part of the bottles, I call it done. &#61514;
3. 2 liter bottles will use about 1/16tsp of yeast each.
4. Take a lesson learned from me, DO NOT brew late at night and double the quantities of yeast (accidentally of course) in your carboys. You will end up waking up to 1 gallon bottle bombs. Not pleasant. ;)

I also have a second recipe, in case you're interested. It's called "Honey Boo Boo Drank". Im thinking of changing it to something less hideous like "honey badger" or "honey beer". Anyway, here is that recipe...

“Honey Boo Boo Drank”
3 Gallon Batch
12qts Water
1.5lb Sugar
1.5oz Sassafras
.5oz Wintergreen Leaves
1.5cp Vanilla Flavoring
2cp Honey - 1cp of Honey=12oz
4 oz. Maltodextrine
1/8tsp Yeast per gallon

5 Gallon Batch
20qts Water
2.5lb Sugar
2.5oz Sassafras
1.5oz Wintergreen Leaves
2.5cp Vanilla Flavoring
40oz Honey
7 oz. Maltodextrine
1/8tsp Yeast per gallon

Instructions:
Pour 8qts water into pot
Place only the Sassafras and Wintergreen into grain bag
Heat up water and place grain bag into water
Simmer water for 30 minutes
Add sugar, honey, and vanilla flavoring. Stir until fully incorporated.
Remove grain bag from water
Stir in Maltodextrine until fully incorporated
Remove from heat
Combine the remaining water, either to pot or an Ale Pail, whichever is more realistic.
Wait for liquid temp to come down to 70-75 degrees F.
Place the brew into bottle(s) of your choice
Add the appropriate amount of yeast for the selected size bottle and fasten the cap.
- I shake the bottles vigorously for about 10-15 seconds. Not sure if it helps but it feels good and makes the guns stay in tip top shape. ;)
Wait 3 Days to carbonate (checking carbonation levels along the way)
(Optional) Pasteurize
Enjoy :)

Hey another question. I got sassafras root on eBay. It came in short slivers of root. Should I strip the bark off and only use bark or chop up the whole thing into little bits. Also I got a pound and don't want it to spoil. If I dry the stuff will it loose potency? Should I just freeze it how it is? Thanks again.

Could you post a picture? Im kind of curious to see what exactly you're talking about.I may have a better answer for you once I can see it. :)

I have heard of people using pieces like this. I guess if it were me, I would just give them a quick rinse just to get off any dirt or whatever, and then use them the way they are. You could maybe cut them up to smaller pieces but I would say that's optional.

That's root huh? I can't say I have ever seen Sassafras in wild or plant form. I get mine in little tiny bits. With that said I do have a few concerns based on what I see in the picture. What you have looks more like a thick branch or the stalk of the tree. It doesn't look like what I would imagine a root to look like. I could be wrong though.

A couple things I could tell you is that whatever parts you do have is of importance, even more so when it comes to when those parts were harvested. In the winter the sap works its way down to the roots and in the spring/summer the sap works its way to the branches. If you have roots that were harvested in spring/summer or branches harvested in winter, you will have a very inferior product. These parts need to be harvested at the correct time when the sap is at its peak in those areas of the plant.

You could probably freeze it and be ok doing that, but I wouldn't dry it. I keep my Sassafras in a box in a closet with all of my other brewing ingredients so that too is an option. If it were me, I'd throw it into a bag and put that in the cupboard or whatever. I don't feel there is any real threat of spoilage. Hopefully all of this is of some help to you. :)

That's root huh? I can't say I have ever seen Sassafras in wild or plant form. I get mine in little tiny bits. With that said I do have a few concerns based on what I see in the picture. What you have looks more like a thick branch or the stalk of the tree. It doesn't look like what I would imagine a root to look like. I could be wrong though.

This should be pretty easy to test, as branch bark has a distinctly lemony smell, in my experience.

Yeah. By looking at it I would guess it could be branch. But the description says root. And the bark smells like root beer. I chopped it up a little smaller and brewed with it last night. Tasted good. We'll see in a few days. Maybe since its summer they sent branch instead of root. Or maybe it's root. I froze it cause it was so moist it was making condensation in the bag so I'm afraid of mold. I'll update when I drink it.

I'm going to try 2 separate batches, one with hops. Had some home-brewed root beer with hops and really liked the complimentary flavors. This will be my first attempt at brewing from scratch, been using Zatarain's concentrate with good results (modified from the instructions on the bottle, if you follow the bottle the result is not good at all)...

Well, hopefully this will produce a much better product for you. When I used to drink, I hated beer. Will hops give it a beer like flavor? If not, what will the hops add to the root beer? I have always been curious about hops in root beer but didn't know where to start, what kind to add, and if it would even be good. I'm really looking forward to your results. :)

Back