Temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myersff

Reaction score
I'm keeping my fermenter in my home office which is a little cooler than the rest of my house but still on the main floor. The fermenter is at 66 degrees my question is that to low of temperature? I was thinking of getting a space heater for the room to help bring up the temp. I'm fermenting big river brown ale. It was bubbling like crazy yesterday but has all but stopped today. It's only been in the fermenter for ~48 hours. Thanks again.

It is best practice to try and keep the yeast at the low end of the range. So a room temp of around 58 or so is a good place to be at.

So should I move it closer to the window to make it cooler? Glad I asked as I was about to go buy a heater and mess it all up. Man this forum rocks you all are great and answer questions so quickly.

For this batch most of the active fermentation sounds like it is mostly over. Just leave it alone for 3 weeks and let it finish up.

Ok thanks. The instructions with the kit said that a second fermentation is recommended. But from what I read on the forum everyone says not to bother. What will the secondary fermenter gain me?

Back