may have screwed up 1st batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I tried brewing my first batch of (extract) beer yesterday, and I think I screwed up since my airlock is not bubbling yet.

What I think I did was add the yeast while the wort/water was too cold, instead of letting the mix warm to room tmperature as per the instructions.

My questions are;

1. Will this kill the yeast and cause it not to ferment?

2. Can I "re-yeast"? and if so, how long do I have to do this? (I made the mix yesterday)

3. Is there a specific kind of yeast I have to use? Obviously homebrew shop yeast would be preferable, but I can't get there until tomorrow evening. If time is important, would regular yeast work?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm a noob and need help to save this first batch.

Thanks

SSB

Never worry about asking questions. That is why someone started this community.

If you pitched it too cold you probably will have a delay in fermentation. No big deal. As a wise man said "relax and have a homebrew!" It should start up soon. Other problems may be a bad seal on you primary fermenter that is letting the gas escape before it can push its way out of the airlock.

We are curious people so tell us your recipie that you are using including yeast strains / brand when you ask about you problems. They interest us and sometimes help with helping you.

Also look on amazon or some other used book site and get this book From the quoted individual abvove:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-5244172-0751966?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Hope all turns out well

Your batch is probably ok. The yeast will take some time to recover from the temperature shock, but they are tough and given another day or two should be bubbling away.

Even under perfect conditions, a batch will not start bubbling until all of the oxygen has been consumed. The yeast are growing and multiplying during this phase, which can run 12-72 hours. Keep the wort at 70-75F and you should see some action in another 48 hours.

I always keep a couple packets of Nottingham dry yeast around, but I never repitch until day four.

singleshotbuff said:
1. Will this kill the yeast and cause it not to ferment?

2. Can I "re-yeast"? and if so, how long do I have to do this? (I made the mix yesterday)

3. Is there a specific kind of yeast I have to use? Obviously homebrew shop yeast would be preferable, but I can't get there until tomorrow evening. If time is important, would regular yeast work?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm a noob and need help to save this first batch.

Thanks

SSB

no dumb questions here!
1. cooler temps will not kill the yeast, they will just take longer to start working due to temp shock. they'll wake up and get to workingas the wort temp gets to room temp. what type of yeast did u use?
2. yes, you cna re-pitch with some yeast if you don't see activity in 32-36 hours. a good neutral dry yeast or pitch more of the liquide yeast (White Labs of Wyeast brand).
3. each brew may have a prefered yeast strain, but as a homebrewer, you can use any yeast you like. different strains will yield different flavors. Hefeweizen yeast will lend a banana/clove flavor, as apposed to a California Ale yeast that will be real neutral and let the malt flavors carry through the beer.
good luck and try to be patient! :D
try www.howtobrew.com, www.cruisenews.net/brewing/, ***********, www.beertown.org.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the help. Today I have bubbles!! I'm excited.

Patience not being one of my virtues, I repitched last night. Not sure if that made the difference or if it just needed more time. Either way it's bubbling.

Guess I'm going to have to learn to "relax and have a homebrew" with future batches. This will of course be easier when I have a homebrew on hand LOL.

Thanks again

SSB

singleshotbuff said:
Guess I'm going to have to learn to "relax and have a homebrew" with future batches. This will of course be easier when I have a homebrew on hand LOL.
SSB
it always helps! :drunk:

good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

Back